Hahn Ecotec Dyno 9psi - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hahn Ecotec Dyno 9psi
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:18 PM
Took my car to the dyno last weekend, I managed 247whp and 253 ft lbs of torque at just over 9 psi. I had some crazy Air/Fuel Ratios though. Once I get my fuel problems sorted out I'll be back to the dyno. I'll post the chart when I get a chance.

2004 2.2L Ecotec 5 speed Cavalier
* Hahn Stage II Turbo Kit
* Upper/Lower Engine Mounts
* Front/Rear Transmission Mounts
* RKsport Lightweight Crank Pulley
* B&M Short Shifter
* CoolingMist Water/Alcohol Injection with 150psi pump

Here's a link to the vid:

Dyno Vid

(Thanks to Jon aka Airtronics for both taking the video and hosting it)

Re: Hahn Ecotec Dyno 9psi
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:45 PM
wow, those are really impressive numbers for 9 psi. when does yours see max tq.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:45 PM
cool makes me want to get the hahn kit even more but i have that much money right now so i bought nitrous

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:50 PM
your boost gauge went up to about 15psi in the video.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:09 PM
JustinsEcotec wrote:your boost gauge went up to about 15psi in the video.

lol, so 250hp at 15psi

Borsty wrote:Bio:------------- i work at ups lifting heavy @!#$ ill day, and i rip phonebooks in half

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:25 PM
What other mods do you have? I'm assuming you built the internals somewhat?

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:27 PM
thats pretty impresive nice though

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:57 PM
15 psi...??? and y did your cel come on at 6000 rpm?
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:27 PM
and was your wheel off.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:52 PM
First of all, i'm not a very big fan of that sort of dyno. But that's besides the point... My biggest complaint is your EGT's. You know those are turbo melting temps right there. And you said you have alcohol injection on there... wow buddy good luck with that car holding together. Good numbers for now, but they're not gonna last. I really want to see your a/f ratios.
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:45 PM
~ RYNO ~ wrote:15 psi...??? and y did your cel come on at 6000 rpm?
Flashing CEL = Misfire (my guess anyway).

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:07 AM
Todd wrote:First of all, i'm not a very big fan of that sort of dyno. But that's besides the point... My biggest complaint is your EGT's. You know those are turbo melting temps right there. And you said you have alcohol injection on there... wow buddy good luck with that car holding together. Good numbers for now, but they're not gonna last. I really want to see your a/f ratios.

Whats wrong with that kind of a dyno?

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:10 AM
Now that I saw the video maybe I can try to comment....

Nothing wrong with that kind of a dyno by any means what so ever.

As for the EGTs yes they seem very high. What kind of air fuel were you running during your dyno runs?

Dyno was done in 3rd gear correct?

What plugs are you running?

What Gap?

And yes, you did run1 5 psi not 9 psi as you posted on here . . . .

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:18 AM
i thought that was fuel pressure going to about 100 psi on that gauge......later to see it was really 1600 egt's lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:45 AM
ok i watched the video.. i realize that its a narrow band, but ones you got above 4500 it just stayed barried in rich... so u got enough fuel, but your egt is WAY to high.. shouldnt it be around 1300 or so? and yes the flashing cel is a multiple cylinder missfire. were you using pump fuel? i know that kinda boost on a stock eco without backing the timing down u will probley missfire. were u runngin an open downpipe? what kind of boost controller do you have? or do u have a different accuator?

12psi and climbing......

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:14 AM
Couple things, I only have a minute but I'll post details later.

1. Boost gauge in my car is INACCURATE. It is my 2nd electrical boost gauge from autometer and it is off again. I'm going to get a mechanical one.

2. Water/Alky injection was turned off during these runs, we were trying to stablize the AFRs without it.

3. Air/Fuel ratios, really goofy. They would stay about 14.7:1 until I hit like 8 psi then it would shoot way down to 9:1. In one of the runs it actually went as lean as 20:1 at a couple lbs of boost. Not good.

I'll post more later.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 6:43 AM
All i meant by not liking that kinds of dyno is the setup. They are very convenient in that you can do them on almost any flat surface, and they are even more convenient for AWD cars. We have one at my shop, and i try to avoid it as much as possible. We also have a total of 3 dyno's and this one always shows the highest numbers. Of the 3, i like the mustang dyno the best. Always the lowest numbers, so if you can put up big numbers on that it then you really have something. But my biggest complaint about that sort of dyno is just setup time. I prefet to just strap them down real quick.

But back on subject, how do you know that your boost is really at nine pounds?
And also having your air fuel anything over 12.5 while in boost is not a good idea. And because i tune cars for a living, i always try to keep them around 11.8 just to be safe.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:49 AM
From my experience with J-body's they run a higher EGT then some other cars. Usually 1500-1600 with nice air/fuel. With it running soo rich, if you pull some fuel out, it will probably drp the EGT's around 1500 range. Which is what most J's with a good air/Fuel run.

H&H Motorsports
Jacksonville, Fl
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:16 AM
Unless your egt guage is wrong, I give that motor a month, if that. EGTs dont lie.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:35 AM
zeroto60in6flat wrote:Unless your egt guage is wrong, I give that motor a month, if that. EGTs dont lie.

That's funny. The run you see videotaped was not the way we left the car, the Air/Fuel Ratios were tuned after that, When I go WOT my EGTs show 1400-1500 at most with the water injection.

I don't think anyone here understands the problem. As soon as the car sees boost it stays at 14.7:1 for a couple seconds, and then finally it seems the FMU sees boost and ups the pressure (way too much). We upped the base fuel pressure in hope to minimize the time that it runs 14.7:1. Then we tried to bleed off the excess fuel pressure so it wouldn't run so rich in the top end.

Yes the dyno run was done in 3rd gear.
As far as spark plugs they are TR6's gapped at .035
By the way, it does not missfire like that anymore (only happened on that particular run).

I'm still trying to figure out everything with the Air/Fuel Ratios. For anyone who does not believe me that I was running 9.5psi when I post the chart you will see. My boost gauge is not correct! Not to mention those kind of numbers do not match up with 15psi.

Thank you for all the comments though.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:08 AM
Your EGT's are still way to high. I'm running alot more boost than you, no alcohol injection and after a good pull through the quarter mile or on a dyno i will maybe see 1200-1250. And my car runs a nice 11.5 a/f all the way though.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:18 AM
Ok, so what would you suggest I do to get them lower than 1400-1500? From everything I've read about other turbo cars both factory and non-factory, I didnt think they were suppose to be much lower than that.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:26 AM
Bigger exhaust will help alot. I run a full 3" all the way out. A nice level a/f ratio will make a huge difference, and i hate to say but your fmu won't get ya there.

And i really hope you're not taking any of this the wrong way. i'm already impressed with what you've done, and i don't want to see it ruined. I'm only giving advice of what i would do or want to see if it was my car, or one that i'm tuning. So please just take it in stride and keep your head up. You've got a great start to a great car.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:32 AM
Thanks for the advice Todd!
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:38 AM
Also where do you live. Or what i really want to know is what altitude do you live at.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search