What octane do you run with the GM S/C? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What octane do you run with the GM S/C?
Monday, August 22, 2005 5:54 AM
I'm just curious as to what everyone's running with the LD9 S/C.

I've been running 91 since I got it and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary but on the dyno, there were some odd drops in power where the engine is likely pulling timing or something.

I'm just wondering what everyone else is running and whether they have specific reasons for running higher than 91.

Re: What octane do you run with the GM S/C?
Monday, August 22, 2005 5:58 AM
When driving back from the Bash with illd9 (Marc) he said that with the reflash, you had to run 93 octane to run at its best.

Monday, August 22, 2005 8:36 AM
Thats the thing. In canada...well in the maritimes anyway... I have never seen any higher than 92 octane. All you have to do anyway is throw in a can of octane booster with every tank. Should bring you up to arround 95-100. I think you would be fine with that.

Next time you go on the dyno make sure you roll in there on fumes...like litterally make your car run out of fuel. Than get some race fuel and dyno it.
Monday, August 22, 2005 9:34 AM
Nytemare wrote:Thats the thing. In canada...well in the maritimes anyway... I have never seen any higher than 92 octane. All you have to do anyway is throw in a can of octane booster with every tank. Should bring you up to arround 95-100. I think you would be fine with that.

Next time you go on the dyno make sure you roll in there on fumes...like litterally make your car run out of fuel. Than get some race fuel and dyno it.

just ignore this guy, hes has no clue what hes talking about. I run 93 octane all the time, i can get as high as 94 but i cant tell a difference in performance. Use Shell V Power gasoline if you can, it works very well.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Monday, August 22, 2005 9:56 AM
Nytemare wrote:Thats the thing. In canada...well in the maritimes anyway... I have never seen any higher than 92 octane. All you have to do anyway is throw in a can of octane booster with every tank. Should bring you up to arround 95-100. I think you would be fine with that.

You need a serious education on octane boosters.

Monday, August 22, 2005 10:02 AM
around here 91 is the highest we have for regualr gas

although we can get 100 at the pump here at select stations

octane boosters are lucky to raise the octane level 1-2 points , and that being less than 1/4 tanks of gas to a full can

even putting 100 on top of 91 will be lucky to raise the rating up a couple points

Monday, August 22, 2005 10:53 AM
Most stations around here only sell up to 91 so that's what I've been using all this time, thinking it was fine.

This is why I'm wondering what everyone else is using, and whether they've experimented.

I can get 94 as well, but only at certain stations. In Buffalo yesterday, I found I could get 93 pretty much anywhere and plenty of places didn't even sell 91.

Monday, August 22, 2005 11:08 AM
93 Octane from Costco. The price is the best and I know they get a truck in every 2-3 days, so the gas is not sitting in the tanks to long. Which I like.

The only time I ran any less was when I had a 1/8 of 87 octane the day I did the reflash. Ever since 93 octane.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, August 22, 2005 12:42 PM
-JaysonZ24- wrote:

just ignore this guy, hes has no clue what hes talking about. I run 93 octane all the time, i can get as high as 94 but i cant tell a difference in performance. Use Shell V Power gasoline if you can, it works very well.

So....I guess you know everything.....so tell me where I can get 93 octane in the maritimes.
shell V-power = 91 octane here.
http://www.shell.ca/code/motoring/tips/gasoline.html

FYI

Octane is only a measure of how resistant gas is to premature detonation. more octane means the fuel is harder to burn. It has nothing to do with power or performance. Weather a fuel has 87 octane or 94 octane, or anything in between, it has the same energy coefficient. (around 28.9 to 29 megajoules per liter). Just a different flash point at a given compression. Thats why they used to use lead. Now we use natural gasoline mixed with isooctane, aromatics (benzene), ethers or alcohols or combinations there of.
I do have one or two courses in petroleum engineering BTW.

By octane booster I mean good octane booster...like bardall...something with MMT. I'm not talking bout a little can of sh*t you get at your local gas station...thats like cleaning your injectors in tank cleaner...
Of course you could always go and get race fuel and mix that with the 91 octane fuel...as if the 110.9/L plus price on fuel (112.9 87octane here) is not enough. If you have the reflash done for your car in Canada they would have tuned it for 91 octane anyway...not 93.

If you are so inclined;
Sunco apparently has 94 octane. Their ultra grade.
http://www.ducaticanada.com/article008.htm
Monday, August 22, 2005 1:27 PM
BTW if your knocking enough to pull timing...you would hear it...especially at speeds around 110kmh and up. As soon as load comes on your engine you would hear the "ping" sound.
Monday, August 22, 2005 3:52 PM
93 octane and methonal/water injection.

not sure what that add's up to in octane #"s

Monday, August 22, 2005 4:46 PM
sorry, made a mistake there, isooctane is not mixed with gasoline. It and n-heptane are mixed and used as a guide to base octane numbers on. Isooctane is 100 octane and n-heptane is 0. Percentages of each are mixed and compared to gasoline (and other fuels) and an octane rating is established.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 8:41 AM
Nytemare wrote:BTW if your knocking enough to pull timing...you would hear it...especially at speeds around 110kmh and up. As soon as load comes on your engine you would hear the "ping" sound.

I don't hear anything but there's definitely something going on. I'll post the dyno graphs later on, but there are definite dips in the power curve that we figure have to do with timing being pulled or something.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:47 AM
Nytemare wrote:BTW if your knocking enough to pull timing...you would hear it...especially at speeds around 110kmh and up. As soon as load comes on your engine you would hear the "ping" sound.

Actually not so. The car can pull timing for very little things. That you might not hear.

Do you know what boost you were hitting at those points it was pulling timing?
I would consider dyoning again, and putting higher octane fuel in and see how it does.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:20 PM
Not to scare you or anything...and this is prob not the problem...but more a worst case scenario...2.4's are notorious for bad no. 3 rod bearings. This could also account for dips in your dyno.
If its not pinging enough for you to hear than I would assume you are safe for daily driving ...correct me if I'm wrong on that...but I don't think he'll cook a piston being 2 octane points lower than everyone state side. And that octane rating is just a minimum anyway... 91 octane could actually be anything from 91-94...according to Petro Canada when I contacted them yesterday. They just guarantee 91 minimum.

And yes like I said earlier. The next time you dyno it...run it dry and fuel up with race fuel. That will definitely solve any knock issues, if that is the reason for the dips.

John Higgins wrote:
Actually not so. The car can pull timing for very little things. That you might not hear.

As the man says..."very little things"...maybe not even to do with octane rating. I would also check my plugs and see if the AFR is good.

Can't dynos plot timing as well?? I thought I heard someone say they could.
If so, try and get a timing graph and see if indeed you are pulling timing.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:46 PM
I've been getting 94 from Sunoco...

But to be honest with you, i dont see any difference from 92 (from Meijer) to 94 (Sunoco)

Portage, MI
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 3:22 PM
dont scare WW with the #3 bearing. that has nothing to do with it. if it was bad he would know it.

what were the dyno #"s? how hot was the air temp's ?

what are your spark plugs gapped at? , are they the ones that came in the gm sc kit? if not i recommend ac delco rapid fire # 5's gapped around .030 ish. (part # around the forums somewhere).

maybe a bad fuel filter?

probably something small, but no way a rod bearing.

also if u were dynoed around 175whp with mainly all stock parts you are right on track.

if i were you i would find a way to up your gas octane #. or maybe a water injection kit from coolingmist.com.

keep us updated.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 12:06 PM
Here's the dyno graph. They didn't log RPM but you get the idea. It was a 4th gear run up to 120 mph.

http://www.precizion.org/forums/files/wm3_442.jpg

Run 1 was done with everything pretty cool. It had ice on it for well over an hour before the run.

Runs 2 and 3 were done consecutively after the 1st one.

Run 4 was done next, but with the s-tube/filter removed.

Run 1 was pretty smooth.

The points I'm concerned with are the big dips.

Run 2 around 94 mph and again at 112 mph.

Run 3 around 99 mph and run 4 around 63 mph, 86 mph, and 111 mph.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 3:07 PM
Jake wrote:also if u were dynoed around 175whp with mainly all stock parts you are right on track.

if i were you i would find a way to up your gas octane #.

He is correct.^^^ I got 174.6 WHP with GM filter At the time of testing I tried the K&N (cleaned and oiled) vs GM stock filter (7K miles on it), GM's filter performed better on my tests. These tests were on 93 octane fuel too.
I want do another test with my new exhaust, RKboots and soon to be put on 62mm TB.
Best of luck WW.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 4:37 PM
you are right on track for HP #"s.

maybe the dyno was messed up.

if your car runs and drives fine i wouldnt worry.

that looks like a dyno line for a car if it was running like crap. but it sounds like your car runs fine from what u say has no crazy missfire.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 3:01 AM
sounds like its most defently knock retard... water injection would take care of that..

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, August 25, 2005 10:55 AM
Jake wrote:you are right on track for HP #"s.

maybe the dyno was messed up.

if your car runs and drives fine i wouldnt worry.

that looks like a dyno line for a car if it was running like crap. but it sounds like your car runs fine from what u say has no crazy missfire.

I would agree that his numbers seem to be right on with other SC cars. That does not mean there is not a issue with timing being pulled. I have always felt the GM reflash pulls too much timing to start. It has also be a issue before abotu the knock sensor pulling timing, when there is not real knock. I remember 4-5 people with 2.4's N/A having issue's. Thats when phatom knock came about.
The only realy way to know if he is having timing pulled it to have a scanner hooked up to the car while making some runs, and see what is really going on. If there is timing being pulled then power is there to be mad (all of this is if there is not REAL knock).
I really think once HP Tuners comes out with the software for ouor cars the GM charged cars will really come alive, as well as N/A cars.
Thursday, August 25, 2005 11:28 AM
john, read my post, i scaned my pcm when i was beating on my car around home...

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, August 26, 2005 7:03 AM
I am running 93 from Hess, they always have trucks coming in and out. Seems to be running great. Whats this pinging everyone is talking about?

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Friday, August 26, 2005 8:59 AM
around here in michigan, little ways away from my house, theres a marathon with 110 octane racing fuel, and finding 94 octane is no problem.

No pain, No gain! I will set all of you civic ricers straight when i blow those lambo doors off!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search