Boost dropping after about 4600 RPM - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boost dropping after about 4600 RPM
Thursday, July 21, 2005 11:45 PM
I have a 2001 2.2l cavalier. My boost fall from 10 PSI to about 7 gradually from 4600 RPM and up I was wondering If anybody has any ideas. I have volvo intercooler, Talon T25 turbo and a 2.25 inch mandrel bent exhaust and Magnaflow cat.

Thanks, Jonathan

Re: Boost dropping after about 4600 RPM
Thursday, July 21, 2005 11:59 PM
Could be a number of things.. first check all your fittings to make sure they're tight enough, even around the intercooler.

If there is a leek on your intake side you will hear a whisteling sound (usually). If there is a leak on your exhaust side you will see carbon around the joint on the outside.

Boost leaks are significantly harder to find. You can check your vacuum hoses, or better yet just replace them all and make sure they're routed correctly. Leaks in hard piping can be very difficult to spot, and any boost leak is hard to pin down with any accuracy because there are so many lines and pipes that carry pressure. If you don't want to replace your hoses a soapy water test could work, but it's not exactly the best method. Good luck. I'd recommend checking the injector seals, especially if you've touched the fuel rail/injectors/intake manifold in any way.

Or purchase a leak tester?
Friday, July 22, 2005 6:23 AM
Well I had this same problem before when I had my old intercooler piping using regular bent exhaust pipe but now I have mandrel bent piping and it is connected using T Bolt clamps and the problem is still the same, I was thinking more along the lines of a flow limitation somewhere but keep on firing ideas my way.
Friday, July 22, 2005 9:24 AM
It's not a crack in the piping, it's a leak in the seals, somewhere when the vehicle hits boost. The fittings probably aren't tight enough, and the boost leaks out under heavy acceleration.

When I discussed intake/exhaust side leaks, I wasn't just talking about the intercooler.. check the fittings around the turbo it's self.. and even check the exhaust piping for cracks, rust spots, loose connections, etc.
Friday, July 22, 2005 10:53 AM
If your using a manual boost controller there's a good chance that it's that. Seems to be inherent nature of a MBC. EBC's don't have the same PSI drop problem.

Friday, July 22, 2005 4:02 PM
Sounds like your getting out of your efficiency with that turbo.

Friday, July 22, 2005 4:51 PM
Its the turbo.....
Saturday, July 23, 2005 7:36 AM
T25 is well within it's efficiency at 10 PSI... Stock they're set to 15, I believe. Tired a leak test yet? Or looked for any signs?
Sunday, July 24, 2005 11:34 PM
What do you mean a leak test. I am confident the motor is good it was just bored 20 over and fitted with eagle rods, weisco pistons and file to fit rings and a victor reinz head gasket and ARP studs. what could leak?
Monday, July 25, 2005 12:13 AM
Quote:

z2Four
Saturday, July 23, 2005 10:36 AM

T25 is well within it's efficiency at 10 PSI... Stock they're set to 15, I believe

no, they're not.

boost isn't the important factor, its pressure ratio, as well as the displacement and volumetric efficiency of the engine in question.

For example, assuming an 85% efficiency rating for the OHV (a little over zealous, however I have a ported head which is why I assumed this for my calculations) injest the following:

Boost: 10psi
My pressure ratio would be 1.78
and my CFM (corrected mass flow rate) for each RPM is as follows

RPM (CMF) lbs/min

3000 14.67
3500 17.11
4000 19.56
4500 22.00
5000 24.45
5500 26.90
6000 29.35

if you look at this T25 compressor map I found (even in 60 trim) your CMF is WAYYYYYY off the efficiency range of the turbo, dropping boost and losing power.

the pressure ratio (boost) is 1.78 for 10psi... peak effeciency for the T25 is 1.4 to 1.7 so you're just above the peak efficiency of the turbo. Then, the CMF (corrected mass flow) of the engine is at the edge of the efficiency by 20 lbs/min (roughly 4000rpm) and completely off the plot altogether by 25 (5000rpm) which is why you run out of boost in the top end.

as was previously said, your turbo is the problem, its too small for your application.

Upgrade to the T3 super 60 if you want awesome power with good spool.

check this out if you want to match your engine to any turbo so long as you have a compressor map it has an easy to follow step by step how-to

The perfect turbo match

Monday, July 25, 2005 12:26 AM
so you can understand a bit better.... the green is the peak efficiency of the turbo...

the red line is 10psi of boost on the 2.2 OHV engine assuming 85 percent efficiency

and the X's mark the CMf rates on the Pr line... as you can see this turbo is TOO SMALL

you're hardly on the plot at all

Monday, July 25, 2005 1:48 AM
holy hell.... you know your @!#$.

Monday, July 25, 2005 2:11 AM
You know PJ , i love you buddy. But sometimes i just cant comprehend what your writing .

But its time to upgrade that turbo Jonathan!

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 10:04 AM
Quote:

rob
Yesterday 4:48 AM

holy hell.... you know your @!#$.

not always, but compressor matching is one of my specialities

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search