remote turbo possible this way ? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
remote turbo possible this way ?
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:58 PM
i have a pretty poorly done paint rendering of what im thinking but the basic idea is there!

i just want to know if its doable since people install remote turbo's where the muffler used to be (i know a remote turbo produce lag)

Re: remote turbo possible this way ?
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:06 PM
I cant imagaine there being much room back there. Seems like it would be easier just to use a manifold. Then you wouldnt have to worry about driving through a puddle and shattering your turbo.
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:07 PM
yeah that would be possible, but i think you'd have to put the turbo too low to the ground in order to clear the diff/axles, and you'd wind up scraping it off over the first big pothole. Mount it in the rear, just size it properly and you shouldn't have any major issues with lag. I'd say at the biggest a .60 trim T3 with 2.25" exhaust pipe before the turbo and 2.5"-3" exiting the turbo.

Although i have no beef with the remote turbo idea, in fact i'm thinking of doing it myself to a 2nd gen V6 J, but the 2200 has room enough, and manifolds are available cheap enough, why not just do the traditional turbo setup? It would be an equal amount of fabrication compared to a remote mount. The primary advantage of a remote mount turbo is that its easier to fabricate when there are no pre-fabbed manifolds available, but in your case the OHV has cav connection, and a few people selling on ebay to get manifolds from, so my advice to you is to go for a traditional setup.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:11 PM
no way to pay on ebay

and i im just weird like that and want to maintain the stock look of the engine

plus I just dont want to buy a turbo manifold but if i can mod a 2.0l turbo manifold to work on there ill do a traditional set up or any other stock manifold i can mod to fit there since i will have them for like 1$

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search