ring help - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ring help
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:41 PM
im finally puttin my motor back together now after all winter of waiting. so anyways, heres my jam...
wiseco pistons, 9:1 on a stock bore. they came with the rings of course... now on the rings theres 2 main ones and 3 oil rings (5 total). but theres 4 groves on the piston... if i try to put all 3 oil rings together on the bottom grove, they wont fit...
so idk what ones to use. the oil rings consisted of the baffles shaped one and 2 very thin metal ones.
also, the 2 main rings, im not sure what one goes up top, the copperish looking one or the thicker heavier composite looking one.
so all in all, my delema is im not sure in what groves to put what rings.
now also, can i just put the rings in as they are, or do i need to grind them down at all to change the gaps at all?? im pretty much at a total loss here and deff need any help at all i can get now. i dont think ill be making it to the bash this year since ive had such major delays. so like i said, any help/pics/diagrams at all you could give me would be amazing. let me know. thanks a lot

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: ring help
Thursday, July 07, 2005 2:00 AM
When I had mine, I did it in 3 step. thin metal ring- baffled ring - thin metal ring.

It should go in there. I had some troubble too because it was a tight fit. you really have to push the baffle ring down to put it togheter.

If they came with the pistons, they SHOULD be already gap. Mine were gapped.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:34 AM
You are going to want to check the gap for sure.

Going to want them between .012 - .014. Put the ring in the bore, use the piston upsidedown to make sure it is in the bore straight and even. Then use a set of gap gauges to check the space between the gap obviously.

Good luck!

Later,
Jeff

--------------------------------
2000 Turbocharged Silver Z24 5spd
Cardomain Site
Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:13 PM
^^^ EDIT

If you are going to be boosting the motor, you will want to gap them up around .020".

Just a heads up.

Later,
Jeff

Cardomain Site
Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:18 PM
why exactly do you want a larger gap?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:19 PM
is that gap on all the rings or only the main 2 and in what order do the main rings go?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Friday, July 08, 2005 10:50 AM
If you are running a lot of boost, the cyl temps are going to be higher naturally.

When things heat up, the rings will expand.

The hotter things get the more they will expand.

So in a NA application you will not need to worry about rings gap AS MUCH as you do with forced induction, but is still very important.

Basically, if there is not enough gap and things heat up too much it will actually pop or crack the ring lands.

The trick is to get the ring to get as close as you can to meeting end to end at full operating temp without actually touching each other, but that is virtually impossible without a ton of calculations.

It is better to have more gap then not enough, remember that....

Also,having gap might make you wonder about compression loss, but it is actually proven on a dyno to be very minimal and a loss of a max of 2 hp has been noted.

If you are running boost, I would recommend around .020" for the top and second ring.

The top ring, flat on both the top and bottom.

The second ring has a bevel on the bottom side. Usually the rings will have some type of marking on them indicating the top. Weieco uses a letter and number I believe. Either way, make sure the second ring has the bevel facing down.

Third set of rings are the oil rings. Should have a "wavy" ring along with two reall thin rings.

DO NOT GAP THESE RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave them how they are from factory.

First install the "wavy" ring making sure the 2 ends "butt together" with NO OVERLAP.

Second, install one of the small thin rings on the bottom side of the "wavy" ring. Then install the second one on the top of the "wavy" ring.

Then proceed to install the second ring (one with the bevel)

Lastly install the top ring also making sure the markings are faced up.

Now, before you drop the piston into the block, you will want to make sure you have the gaps placed at the right spots.

The "wavy" ring needs to be clocked 90 deg from the wrist pin.

The small rings on the top and bottom of the "wavy" ring need to be clocked 180 deg of each other each end directly above the wrist pin.

The second and top ring can be installed 180 deg opposite of each other also over the wrist pin.

After that is set, get a ring compressor, compress the rings and tap the piston and rod down into the cylinder.

It is much easier than it sounds and you will see what I am talking about when you start.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Have fun!

Later,
Jeff

Cardomain Site
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search