arc welders - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
arc welders
Saturday, July 02, 2005 7:30 AM
hey all.. how big or what type of arc welder does one need to buy to make manifolds.. thats and what type would i need to make intercooler charge pipes... i would like to start making kits, just dont have the arc welder... thanks all...

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Garret t3 turbo charger for sale.. $65 plus shipping
e-mail for more info

Re: arc welders
Saturday, July 02, 2005 8:31 AM
if you get back to me next month i can tell you....... i am starting an arc welding class on tuesday

Saturday, July 02, 2005 8:55 AM
you qwon't need that huge of a welder to make a manifold ... it's pretty light guage stuff ....

Jay

Saturday, July 02, 2005 12:36 PM
yea.. but what wattage and ability to weld what depth of material.. i get that manifolds arnt that thick, but dont wanna buy something when i should have bought something else.. know what i mean...

sinrocker - let me know if you get liek a website or any other online material that possibly i could check out.. thanks man..

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
e-mail for more info
Saturday, July 02, 2005 1:06 PM
if your arc welding a manafold.... i wouldent use it. all that slag and what not can get in to the tubeing and back pressher will TAKE IT IN TO THE HEAD. you need a little lincon or miller TIG welder.

chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, July 02, 2005 1:24 PM
Use a mig with sheilding gas and stitch weld. Make sure that if your using mild steel to go really thick, and remember to have the flanges machined after the welding is done. beatung the manifold with a hammer will help loosen up any slag, as will the machining process.
Saturday, July 02, 2005 1:35 PM
you can arc weld it just fine. use a 7018 rod or a 8018 rod and keep it at about 120 amps your flange is about 3/8" thick? and tubing about 5/16?. i would go with a 7018 rod personally if these are you metal thicknesses.

TURBO KIT...$4,000
RUNNING 20 PSI...ANOTHER $2,000
SMOKING THE TIRES ON A 3RD GEAR ROLL...PRICELESS
Saturday, July 02, 2005 2:57 PM
ok mig all that kinda stuff is fine.. im asking about a machine.. anyone know of any with cost

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
e-mail for more info
Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:58 PM
Don't use a stick welder, do like others said and get a good quality tig welder, something with at least a 50% duty cycle. Tig welders will give you the nice beads like you see on motorcycle frames, and you can control the heat much easier, resulting in less burn through and ultimately better air flow. Arc and Mig welding will work, but if your welding skills are not top notch, you may not be satisfied with the final product. On Lincolns web page there are tig welders that will also do stick welding.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search