Start up problems - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Start up problems
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 7:28 PM
I have my turbo kit installed and I had to extend the wires on my IAT sensor to make it to the charge piping. Now the car is having a problem starting up, once it does crank it chugs for a little bit then it idles like it is supposed to. I disconnected the battery and I still have the same problem. I don't think it is the IAT but that is the only thing I change before the problem, as usual any help will be appreciated.

Re: Start up problems
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 7:34 PM
Heated O2 sensor, might want to try to find one to replace the primary with.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 7:24 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by heated O2 sensor. are you saying that my O2 has been fried or are you saying it is not heating up fast enough. I do not have a CEL. The O2 is at the end of the downpipe, which is where the stock strted to curve to go under the car.

Also, where can I find a heated o2 and what is price of one of those.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 8:35 AM
Ron makes that suggestion because that is the fix I used 2 months ago.

I got the turbo piping finished and got the car on the road. My first problem was that for the first 10 minutes the car ran like junk.... the fan turned on, everything.

As soon as the car came out of closed loop it ran like donkey sh!t.

It took a day or two for me to notice that the A/F gauge was taking almost 10 minutes to get a reading... then it hit me..

The 02 sensor stock is IN the collector... mine was about 18 inches down the downpipe from the turbo - it wasn't heating up fast enough. Therefore when the car came out of closed loop it didn't find the 02 sensor so it turned the fan on and went into safety mode and just started unloading the fuel into the engine....

So I picked up a 4 wire 02 sensor from a 3800 S/C engine and wired it in and put it in.

It cut the problem down tremendously. Now when the car comes out of closed loop, it runs like pooh for about 40 seconds, the fan turns on and it chugs a bit... then as soon as the 02 sensor heats up the car smooths right out and drives perfectly clean.

It's not perfect but it certainly improved the problem for me.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 10:28 AM
^ I make the suggestion because its the SAME suggestion I made to you 2.5 months ago when you were having the problem, and it improved your issue. I should start charging you for all the help I give you. But your canadian, so $500 to you is like $10 to us

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 12:24 PM
Hahaha, I don't think so. We were brainstorming you twidge, and the 02 came up.

Don't make me drive down to your hole and beat you with your redneck sister/wife.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 1:07 PM
will this effect the cranking of the engine as well

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 1:09 PM
Not in the least.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:08 PM
if it's an IAT problem it won't happen at startup, it'll happen later on after driving around for a while.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 6:41 PM
Startup issues can be a pita. But in your case it may be fuel related... either too much or too little. Too much fuel is easy to check. If you hold your foot to the floor during cranking and the car starts faster, it's usually a sign that you're getting too much fuel for whatever reason. And if you find that cranking for, say, half a second then mashing the foot to the floor makes the car start better, you might just decide you've found a good fix for the problem. Oh, one more thing. Be ready to let up on the throttle as soon as the car starts or you may end up diagnosing a hole in the block.

-->Slow
Friday, June 24, 2005 12:00 PM
How do I wire up the GTP O2 sensor. The CEL has finally come on for the O2.

Sunday, June 26, 2005 8:32 AM
anybody?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search