Thread sealent for oil fittings... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thread sealent for oil fittings...
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:16 AM
When assembling the fittings for the oil system on a turbo, does anyone suggest using any type of thread lock/sealent? If so, what type and brand would you recommend?

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Re: Thread sealent for oil fittings...
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:23 AM
If you use AN fittings you don't need sealent. I don't have sealent on my oil return an fitting, or my oil feed an fitting. No issues.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:25 AM
What about if a couple of the fittings are AN/NPT adapters?? I'm going to have a Tee coming out of the head so I can connect an oil pressure sender and then have the feed going out the other end. The Tee is NPT and the inlet and outlet of the turbo for oil are both NPT as well. Would those need sealent?

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:16 AM
I just use a little teflon paste on any threaded connection. Just dont use teflon tape as you dont want to risk a piece breaking off and getting into your oil/ turbo.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:21 AM
Senorguitar19 wrote:What about if a couple of the fittings are AN/NPT adapters?? I'm going to have a Tee coming out of the head so I can connect an oil pressure sender and then have the feed going out the other end. The Tee is NPT and the inlet and outlet of the turbo for oil are both NPT as well. Would those need sealent?

Yes you can use the paste for the tee coming out of the head, thats the only place I used paste is on the npt fittings for my oil pressure gauge coming out of my cam towers. For the actual fittings ON the turbo, no paste is needed.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:42 AM
Ok, sounds good. Thanks for the help. Just trying to get all these little things out of the way so I dont destroy the turbo due to one little error.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:57 AM
Thread sealant with teflon will do, but don't overdo it. More often than not it's recommended you don't put anything on the threads unless you absolutely have to... but I put a bit of it on the threads anyway.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:14 PM
cause there's also that permatex stuff that comes in a little tube. Kind of looks like a superglue tube.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search