MP45: checking/changing SC oil level - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MP45: checking/changing SC oil level
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:24 AM
Does anyone know the proper precedure for checking and topping off the supercharger oil in the nose drive of the MP45...

I see there is a plug directly under the nose... and i assume this is where you are supposed to check and fill the oil. but on our cars (the GMPP LD9 kit) the SC sits on its side... which puts that oil plug almost at the very bottom. So i assume short of removing the whole SC and rotating it 90* to use that plug, there is no good way to do this?

I heard or read somewhere that some people will drill and tap a second hole and plug for checking and adding oil to the SC in the "installed" position.. If anyone here has done this, or knows where i can find info on doing such a thing, please let me know.

I have heard that the bulk of supercharger wear and damage is due to low oil levels, or contaminated oil. So i thought adding a "top plug" would be a great idea. This way you could use the original plug (at the bottom once installed) as a drain plug and the top as a filler, checker... and this would allow us to change our oil from time to time, or at very least keep it topped off.

Re: MP45: checking/changing SC oil level
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:07 AM
The sc oil is never meant to be changed on the mp45. It is intended to last the lifetime of the unit. As far as I know there is not a real way to check it. If anything you take it off drain all the old oil and fill. I forget exectly how how much oil you are supposed to put in but it is not much...only a couple ounces. I know there is a thread floating around here where there was a huge debate as to how much to use.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:43 AM
I know it is not "intended" to be changed. But they say the same thing about maintenence free batteries, and 100k mile plark plugs and 100k mile coolant, etc etc.... Just cuz they say it doesnt need it, doesnt mean it cant be, and gains wont be seen from it.

If you do a search on google, you will find multiple sources saying that the number one cause for SC failure and wear is loss or contamination of fluid.

So yes, it isnt needed..... so says GM, who only cares for 36k miles, or 3 years... after that it isnt their problem anyway. It is us that have to drive these cars over 100k miles.... and us who foots the bill for a rebuild when they wear out or leak.

I dont know about you, but i would much rather spend the $10 on new fluid every 30k miles than have to shell out $500+ every 100k for a rebuild.

It is just like those "non-greasable" bearings and ball joints... they are great for the lazy bums who dont care, and dont maintain things. if you dont ever grease the greasable ones, then yes the non-greasable are better for you... But for those who do care and do want our stuff to last, and dont mind a lil upkeep, it is a no brainer to go with the "maintainence needed" styles, as they will last way longer.

I dont see how changing the oil, or even topping it off... even if it is only a few ounces... can do anything but help.

Looks like the stuff is readily available on ebay for $7 a bottle (4oz) and $6 shipping for as many bottles as you want.

OEM GM Supercharger Oil
Part #12345982
4 Fluid Ounces per bottle.

"Typical Eaton supercharger uses 1 and a half bottles which equals 6 ounces. So you'll need 2 bottles."

(i have heard 6oz for the m62 before... and if you compare the nose drive section where the fluid is stored, they are nearly the same size for all eaton chargers, so that same 6oz probably works across the board. And im willing to bet that with the SC sitting flat that 6oz would bring the level right up to that plug.)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:56 AM
I am about 99% sure that the MP45 uses less oil than the M62. If you wanted you could drain yours and fill it with the exact amount you get out unless you think yours is leaking it somewhere.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:22 PM
Can you tell me exactly what kind of maintance can be done to a maintance free battery?? I would like to know. Also what gains can be had.

Also if you searched on here there is a post about the supercharger oil in our units, and how much to use.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:53 PM
John Higgins wrote:Can you tell me exactly what kind of maintance can be done to a maintance free battery?? I would like to know. Also what gains can be had.

Also if you searched on here there is a post about the supercharger oil in our units, and how much to use.

maintnence free batteries still use water and acid (unless it is the gell style, but i am talking the regular maintenece free batteries)... just like any other battery. they just seal the tops or make them harder to open... they may not dry out as fast, but they can still dry out. so if you open them up and top the water off they will last longer than if you didnt... same with non-greasable ball joins and such.. they still use grease, they just try to seal it in so it cant get out... but it still can and does. so if you added a grease fitting, you could extend their life.

It really amazes me how many people just swallow down marketing gimmicks and accept anything on a label as the gods honest truth.

do you use "extended life motor oil" and really believe you can change your oil every 8,000 miles and still expect your engine to last as long as someone using conventional oil and changing it every 3000?

do you never bother to check your antifreeze just cuz the dex-cool label says good for 100,000 miles.

I mean really... are you trying to argue just to argue? or do you seriously believe all this?

everything in life has its trade offs. you dont ever get anything for free, despite what the label might say.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:00 PM
Non greaseable ball joints have worked just fine for me

I have the stock balljoints on both my cars which are now 9 years old

Not everything has to be screwed around with

I do agree wtih you that changing the SC fluid wouldnt hurt it and might prevent any damage

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:18 AM
ken soggs wrote:
John Higgins wrote:Can you tell me exactly what kind of maintance can be done to a maintance free battery?? I would like to know. Also what gains can be had.

maintnence free batteries still use water and acid (unless it is the gell style, but i am talking the regular maintenece free batteries)... just like any other battery. they just seal the tops or make them harder to open... they may not dry out as fast, but they can still dry out. so if you open them up and top the water off they will last longer than if you didnt... same with non-greasable ball joins and such.. they still use grease, they just try to seal it in so it cant get out... but it still can and does. so if you added a grease fitting, you could extend their life.

It really amazes me how many people just swallow down marketing gimmicks and accept anything on a label as the gods honest truth.

do you use "extended life motor oil" and really believe you can change your oil every 8,000 miles and still expect your engine to last as long as someone using conventional oil and changing it every 3000?

do you never bother to check your antifreeze just cuz the dex-cool label says good for 100,000 miles.

I mean really... are you trying to argue just to argue? or do you seriously believe all this?

everything in life has its trade offs. you dont ever get anything for free, despite what the label might say.

So now we have maintance free batteries, and then regular maintance free batteries?? Wow I learned something new today. I only knew of the 1 maintance free batteries that you can not open the tops of. I have always added, or check water levels in in a battery if it had the 2 removalable tops, but maintance free batteries have a sealed non removalable top.

Yeah I believe that dexcol is good to 100k, but changed mine around 60k.

I change my oil every 3k and use fully Synthic oil.

I don;t swallow any bull@!#$! Not even yours and you post a @!#$ load of it on this site!

FU Tuning

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:07 AM
yeah, it sounds like you have no room to be swallowing any more cuz you are obviously completely full of it already.

you just completely negated your whole arguement here...

you use 100k mile coolant but you change it at 60k....
you add water to "maintenence free" batteries....
and you use sythetic oil which is good for more than 3k, but still change it at 3k....

So why the hell are you arguing with me about changing the fluid on a supercharger even if it says "good for the life of the charger".
what i am asking about is no different than the things you just admitted that you do.

so you must like to argue just to argue.... and fill up the forum with your smart talk to try to make yourself sound cool and put others down....

i post on the forum to gain and share knowledge. I try to bring something new to the members... try to make the jbody community a better place. Offer up new ideas, try new things... you just like to fill it with your smack talk and put people down and just regurgitate the same old crap you read in a previous post.

has anything you have said in this thread helped anyone at all? did you say anything useful? offered up any new ideas? Has anyone written you saying "hey john, yeah that is a good point... ya know, its a good thing you pointed out that maintenece free batteries have a sealed lid and you cant add water..." (which by the way is generally wrong.)

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:58 AM
John Higgins wrote:So now we have maintance free batteries, and then regular maintance free batteries?? Wow I learned something new today. I only knew of the 1 maintance free batteries that you can not open the tops of.

hmm wow... would you look here.... what do you know... "maintenance free" batteries... with removable lids!!!! AMAZING!!!!

and gee... look... the Gel batteries.. the not-"regular" types i was refering to...

hmmm they dont even claim to be maintenance-free. They must assume that you know that... since most people dont have distilled gel at home to add to them. and since there are no lids to be removed, they must assume people understand. But maybe you should write them and complain just to give them grief, as that seems to be your thing....

So next time you feel like cluttering up peoples posts with your think you know it all wisdom, you might want to do a lil research....

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:18 AM
ken soggs wrote:yeah, it sounds like you have no room to be swallowing any more cuz you are obviously completely full of it already.

you just completely negated your whole arguement here...

you use 100k mile coolant but you change it at 60k....
you add water to "maintenence free" batteries....
and you use sythetic oil which is good for more than 3k, but still change it at 3k....

So why the hell are you arguing with me about changing the fluid on a supercharger even if it says "good for the life of the charger".
what i am asking about is no different than the things you just admitted that you do.

so you must like to argue just to argue.... and fill up the forum with your smart talk to try to make yourself sound cool and put others down....

i post on the forum to gain and share knowledge. I try to bring something new to the members... try to make the jbody community a better place. Offer up new ideas, try new things... you just like to fill it with your smack talk and put people down and just regurgitate the same old crap you read in a previous post.

has anything you have said in this thread helped anyone at all? did you say anything useful? offered up any new ideas? Has anyone written you saying "hey john, yeah that is a good point... ya know, its a good thing you pointed out that maintenece free batteries have a sealed lid and you cant add water..." (which by the way is generally wrong.)

Where did I argue with you about changing your supercharger oil?? I did not. I never once said not to, or you should not. did I??? No I did not.

I commented on the maintance free batteries. All the ones I have seen that say maintance free do not have removable lids.

So I never went back on anything I said.

I happen to agree with you on changing the charger oil. I would probably change mine after 50k of use, but that is not what I commented on. jackass

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search