OverDrive Crank Pulley & M45 S/C - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OverDrive Crank Pulley & M45 S/C
Friday, March 20, 2009 2:13 PM
I was talking with my buddy scott (LafNgAs) and he said the easier/better thing to do would be to get a overdrive crank pulley instead of changing the S/C pulley.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I cant seem to find one anywhere. Or would it be better to change the S/C pulley.

Re: OverDrive Crank Pulley & M45 S/C
Friday, March 20, 2009 2:20 PM
Probably the best mod you could do with the m45 kit and Id pair it with a smaller sc pulley, but good luck finding one and nobody will prolly make them becuause there wouldnt be enough interest. People that come to mind that had them are Taetsch Z-24 and Blwn Ld9, not sure who else but I believe Racetech, the company that made them before only made 5 of them.

Friday, March 20, 2009 2:24 PM
I was just inquiring b/c It would be easier to swap then the S/C pulley. But who knows how much extra boost you would get out of the S/C compaired to swapping the pulley on the S/C
Friday, March 20, 2009 2:27 PM
Just do a smaller supercharger pulley. No need to make EVERYTHING spin faster just to make the supercharger spin faster.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, March 20, 2009 2:30 PM
Imo swapping the pulley on the sc is MUCH easier than the crank pulley. Boost level depends on many things..what size sc pulley,temperature, what other mods you have,etc etc. I would just want to have the os crank pulley and then be able to swap to a smaller sc pulley as well.

Ported sc,os crank pulley, 2.5 sc pulley, alchy injection and a direct port nitrous setup...mmmm, almost makes me wana sc again

Friday, March 20, 2009 3:13 PM
Swapping the supercharger pulley is way easier than changing the crank pulley. The only reason I wanted the oversized crank pulley was to make more HP with the smaller SC pullies with meth injection. I saw about 6-7 psi with just the oversized crank pulley with a ported supercharger

I setup the group purchase with Racetech for 5 oversized crank pullies. Unfortunately I don't have the list of people that bought them

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Friday, March 20, 2009 3:22 PM
Well right now I'm seeing 5-6PSI on a consistant basis with all stock pulleys. Sometimes over 6PSI on a cold night and clean roads.
Friday, March 20, 2009 3:28 PM
6-7psi on a stock sc pulley and a ported charger is great, and Im sure Jason saw this in usualy warmer weather too. I remember that hot ass dyno shop at the bash last year lol. Plus flowing more air faster will lower boost levels but make more power. Like if your cat were clogged you would see higher boost levels cause of the restriction but less power.

Friday, March 20, 2009 7:06 PM
actually changing a smaller diamter pulley will make the biggest difference. Rough math says changing the charger pulley by .1" will create as much difference as .2265" in the crank pulley....really not worth it unless the smallest charger pulley still wasn't enough...then the overdrive would fix that up, otherwise, don't bother.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Friday, March 20, 2009 7:08 PM
with making the s/c smaller and smaller you also start running the chance of slippage as there is less surface area for the belt

Friday, March 20, 2009 7:22 PM
So dont get one that small

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous

Friday, March 20, 2009 7:34 PM
"All the Accessory's?"

so, lets count them.... you have the Generator, spins faster...Ok... and the free wheeling idler pulley...... the free wheeling compressor pulley.... and the free wheeling tensioner.....

ya, the gen, spinning faster takes some load off the armitcher (good)....... the others.... free wheel...

the 2.6, with the over drive crank pulley, on a stock LD9 with 130K netted around 9-12 lbs.

and it was... quick.

I will go as far to say, other then the supercharger itself, was the best mod I ever did.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, March 20, 2009 7:46 PM
^Sure. But don't forget about the energy spent in increased angular accel. of the best itself.....that does take energy. But my argument wasn't don't do it, my argument was if you can't get them why worry, it's not the best place to start anyway.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:01 AM
icemike89 wrote:6-7psi on a stock sc pulley and a ported charger is great, and Im sure Jason saw this in usualy warmer weather too. I remember that hot ass dyno shop at the bash last year lol. Plus flowing more air faster will lower boost levels but make more power. Like if your cat were clogged you would see higher boost levels cause of the restriction but less power.

my charger is not ported. Everything is stock. I consistantly see 5+PSI and sometimes over 6psi on a cold night.
Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:05 AM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:"All the Accessory's?"

so, lets count them.... you have the Generator, spins faster...Ok... and the free wheeling idler pulley...... the free wheeling compressor pulley.... and the free wheeling tensioner.....

ya, the gen, spinning faster takes some load off the armitcher (good)....... the others.... free wheel...

the 2.6, with the over drive crank pulley, on a stock LD9 with 130K netted around 9-12 lbs.

and it was... quick.

I will go as far to say, other then the supercharger itself, was the best mod I ever did.

Chris

This might be something to look into further then. Did you have any troubles finding a belt with the overdrive crank puley? If I ran stock S/C pulley with just the overdrive crank pulley would I have problems finding a belt?
Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:53 AM
Speed racer and I got the stock belt to fit with the OS crank and the OE 2.8 charger.... it was hard, and it took the two of us to do it.

A belt around .75-1.0 Inch longer would be good though.

Trust when I say this, Put the smaller Charger pulley on.

You will in the end anyways.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Sunday, March 22, 2009 10:07 AM
I'm running a 2.5 pulley with stock crank pulley. Fl daytime temps seeing 7.5-8psi. Night time seeing right at 10psi. This is also with meth. Go small charger pulley. Also stock belt no slippage.

FU Tuning

Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:56 PM
no need to do all that for the M90 can just go smaller i went from a 3.8 to a 3.4 that got me from 7lbs to 10lbs sometimes i see 11-12 lbs never changed my crank pully, is that becasue they can't make pullys much smaller for the M45

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, March 22, 2009 4:11 PM
stock is a 2.8 on it, If you run a 2.5, you have to cut the snout down to clear.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, March 23, 2009 12:14 PM
never going to get made? has anybody even talked to mike (md ld9) about doing them? i know as of right now he is willing to make ONE custom one-off pulley for use with a completely custom m62 s/c kit on an ld9. it even requires two separate serpentine belt sections for it to work and he is willing to do it. for just ONE.

how about OEM? mark is willing to make just about anything.

vulcan or hell... talk to MRZ performance. they make TONS of billet aluminum parts. and what about LZM? they too make lots of parts for us CUSTOM, most are yes.. you guessed it. billet aluminum. not to mention if you want to pay for it and want it bad enough any custom billet aluminum shop should be able to take the project on.

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Monday, March 23, 2009 12:53 PM
Using an oversized crank pulley on the m45 seems like a bad idea to me. A 2.5" pulley actually spins the m45 faster than it is rated at. Heat soak from spinning the sc any faster than a 2.5" would really negates any benefit.

The only possible benefit would be that you coud then use a larger pulley on the supercharger so you have more belt surface area on the supercharger pulley to prevent slipping. However slipping is a non issue unless you are way off on the belt size! Trust me even with the 2.5" sc pulley and a nasty oil leak (leaking onto the belt) mine never slipped.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, March 23, 2009 2:15 PM
I talked to Mike about making them before when I was sc'd, and he said there just wouldnt be enough interest for it. Yes, you could pay a stupid amount of money to have shop or company do a one off pulley, but I just wasnt that worried about it since I had nitrous

And yea wade I had a 2.6 pulley with an oil leak spraying out onto the best and dint have any slippage with the stock belt either, but Im sure going with that much smaller of a belt would be better.

Monday, March 23, 2009 2:34 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:stock is a 2.8 on it, If you run a 2.5, you have to cut the snout down to clear.

Chris

I never had to cut my snout at all with the 2.5 pulley. This seems to be a debate i guess some are made a tad different.

Monday, March 23, 2009 7:59 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:Using an oversized crank pulley on the m45 seems like a bad idea to me. A 2.5" pulley actually spins the m45 faster than it is rated at. Heat soak from spinning the sc any faster than a 2.5" would really negates any benefit.

The only possible benefit would be that you coud then use a larger pulley on the supercharger so you have more belt surface area on the supercharger pulley to prevent slipping. However slipping is a non issue unless you are way off on the belt size! Trust me even with the 2.5" sc pulley and a nasty oil leak (leaking onto the belt) mine never slipped.

With the 2.6 and OS crank i will still under the redline of 18K.

With water injection my IAT were below 80*

This "debate" could go on forever.

Lets just say, the OS crank and OE snout worked wonders for me...

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:29 AM
icemike89 wrote:I talked to Mike about making them before when I was sc'd, and he said there just wouldnt be enough interest for it. Yes, you could pay a stupid amount of money to have shop or company do a one off pulley, but I just wasnt that worried about it since I had nitrous

And yea wade I had a 2.6 pulley with an oil leak spraying out onto the best and dint have any slippage with the stock belt either, but Im sure going with that much smaller of a belt would be better.

Yep, something around $300 for a one off pulley.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search