2.2 Mods for boost.. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 Mods for boost..
Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:56 PM
Yes, I know, your thinking, f*ck, another thread by this kid...

I've been doing some research.. I ordered the Maximum Boost book by Corky Bell, should be in my hands in 7-10 days.

I do plan on turbocharging my engine..
Its a 94 2.2L.
It may get a new intake manifold with a larger throttle body, but I'm still trying to figure that out.
As for extra fuel, it'll be supplied with a extra injector controller.

I've got a few ideas to throw out there.. things I've found that other people have been doing with different platforms (SRT4s, the older 2.xL Chryslers, etc) to withstand more abuse...

I'm still learning and researching, but here goes. I've been doing some reading on S10Forum (my 2.2 is in a Sonoma, and I don't want a V8)

I read the roller rocker thread, has anybody put higher ratio rockers, such as 1.7 or 1.8, with a custom valve cover?

I think I will get my crank Cryogenically treated, is there any machining required after this is done, or will the crank just drop in?

If I got the stock rods shot peened, would this be of any benefit to them at all? Or would it be better to go with aftermarket rods. Would it be a benefit to get the aftermarket rods shot peened, if I were to go with them?

I read in the 2.2 Growing Pains thread, the 90-93 oil pump from the Cavalier is a higher volume pump, would there be any benefit to installing one of these?
Quote:

Both pumps are interchangeable, so some rebuilders have standardized on the later pump for everything, even though it has slightly less volume and a lower pressure relief valve (64 lbs. vs 80 lbs.).

I have found a 90-93 Melling replacement pump on Summit Racing. It says 90-93 Cavalier 2.0/2.2. I am not sure if it would be a higher volume pump than what I have in my stock motor... heres the link if you guys want to look..
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...3+4 294869664
It says stock volume/pressure, but that would be stock for the Cavalier... hmm.

and the last thing I could think of..
Would there be any benefit to do a remote oil filter setup, with a larger filter or maybe two filters, and possibly an oil cooler aswell?
heres a link to a remote dual oil filter guide on a 2001 firebird, required adobe reader. www.firebirdnation.com/pdf/dualoil.pdf

thanks for your time guys, I know theres a few members that have built up there 2.2s..

Re: 2.2 Mods for boost..
Monday, March 16, 2009 5:21 PM
M98 pump is basically a requirement. Change your timing chain tensioner. TUNE, TUNE, TUNE.
If you really want to do internals, get new pistons, the stock crank and rods are beefy.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Monday, March 16, 2009 6:04 PM
Don't use an eic I spent $400 on one and they are crap.Get a tune.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:41 PM
Well what are my options? I don't really want a megasquirt or something and its obdI.
I read that the rods are weak aswell?

Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:18 PM
Why not Megasquirt?
Rods have withstood multiple hydro-locks, and judging by their thickness, should be good to about 400bhp. The power is an estimate based on how they measure up to D16 and 4G63 rods, each of which have well-known limits.

Nobody I know of has ever bent an LN2 rod (other than those who didn't have oil pressure of course )

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:29 PM
I don't have a dyno that is local to me to tune. Closest one is 6 hours away. I want something I can tune myself or get close enough so I can drive it to a shop and maybe get it tuned.
What I had planned on was a SDS EIC
http://sdsefi.com/eic.html
Those guys are in my province, there about 8 hours drive. Shipping won't be bad if I have anything shipped to me though.

I found this today.
Turbo Specialties Injector Control unit..
http://importperformanceparts.net/imports/turbospec-fuelmanage.html

On a side note... SDS also builds EFI setups..
If I were to go with a full replacement engine management setup from them, I'd need this kit.
http://www.sdsefi.com/specific.html
Its the EM4-F, scroll down a bit.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:50 PM
sds all the way i have it in my car and i love it.

Monday, March 23, 2009 1:15 PM
Do you have the injector controller or the EFI setup?

Monday, March 23, 2009 6:48 PM
i have the EFI 4F that is all you need, but if you are going to tune it yourself then you need the hand controller.

Monday, March 23, 2009 8:17 PM
syn13 wrote:i have the EFI 4F that is all you need, but if you are going to tune it yourself then you need the hand controller.

Is it easy to tune? I dont really understand how it all works. If its got a resonable learning curve.. I may save up for it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search