M62 + 3" pulley, fuel issue with stock pump? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
M62 + 3" pulley, fuel issue with stock pump?
Friday, March 06, 2009 4:33 PM
Strangely enough, everything seems to be going bad on my car at the same time.. just today before i was going to goto work my car wouldnt start.. so i changed the plugs and noticed a small amount of oil on one of them (probably a small amount of blowby in one of the cylinders, dont know what cylinder number, its the second one from the right if you are looking at the engine from in front of the car).. so i put new ones in and tried to start it again. no dice. a neighbor that was working on his car too helped me out. we determined through testing that the spark plugs are getting juice, the fuel pump relay is fine, so he suggested the fuel pump. not sure how it worked, but he said he would bang on the tank with his hand a little bit as i tried to start it, well it started.

[note i have the 36# injectors from the kit still in]

i let it run for a while, every time i would try to rev, i would see it get really lean and the rpms would drop then it would rev. after letting it idle for a while, the idle starting getting really rough. so i eventually turned it off since it was having a problem running. good thing i did log it, so i have the HPT log file. i uploaded it to fileplanet, so i hope the link still works. if not i can email it to whoever wants to help me diagnose this

http://www.fileplanet.com/197106/190000/fileinfo/funny_idle

there is the link, if that doesnt work i can email it. if it is the fuel pump, would anyone know what i should replace the pump with? im not sure if i should just do a stock replacement or if i should go for an aftermarket one that can handle what i got. i am going to put 42# injectors in once i get my stock ECU tuned for my setup (near stock tune, need to flash it with fake 2.5 bar and see if it runs)

no clue how to replace one so id have to search.. any one know if it takes a while or if its a messy job?

thanks

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]

Re: M62 + 3" pulley, fuel issue with stock pump?
Friday, March 06, 2009 5:23 PM
You're definitely very lean...

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, March 06, 2009 5:27 PM
Why is the map sensor kpa fluctuating (_wiring), Tps stays the same but kpa goes to 40. That doesn't seem right to me. During Idle my map kpa is 20-25.

Friday, March 06, 2009 6:07 PM
During idle my MAP kPa is 38-40. I don't know how you see -11 psi (or 22 in Hg vacuum) at idle... at decel I do, but not at idle. That's a lot of vacuum.

My question is why is your TPS stuck at 9%?

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, March 06, 2009 7:45 PM
no idea, always has been like that and it also never goes higher than 88% even though i feel like i have it floored. i revved it a few times just to see if i would get any hesitation and it went lean before it revved. the idle also started fluctuating very bad right before i shut it off.

so do you think its the fuel pump? im going to start looking for a replacement, any recommendations?

thanks

Friday, March 06, 2009 8:47 PM
I have the walbro so far so good

Friday, March 06, 2009 9:00 PM
Racetronix i hear is a good pump and it doesnt have the fuel cut issue that other pumps have. There are a few running currently and im planning on swapping my stocker out for it this summer. Its an upgrade pump for LS1 f-bodies, so i dont think we'll have a need for an even better pump(s/c guys that is). Plus it drops right in and im pretty sure its plug and play too.

Trevor Mullins wrote:

kind of like a screwed up kids sing along

pete the anal monkey lived in my bum..............

best epiosode of barney ever lol

Friday, March 06, 2009 9:12 PM
cool thanks tinkles. i actually found a thread that gives install directions and it has to be slightly modified, and i dont have a air grinder/dremel/file :\

might just do a stock replacement.. hopefully that will hold up for a while. 270 from napa though... seems really pricey.. anyone heard of airtex? autozone carries that for 244..

Friday, March 06, 2009 9:29 PM
Im sure time and sandpaper would work....

Trevor Mullins wrote:

Friday, March 06, 2009 9:36 PM
evilmonkitar wrote:cool thanks tinkles. i actually found a thread that gives install directions and it has to be slightly modified, and i dont have a air grinder/dremel/file :\

might just do a stock replacement.. hopefully that will hold up for a while. 270 from napa though... seems really pricey.. anyone heard of airtex? autozone carries that for 244..

ya thats why i chose racetronix over stock. racetronix is cheaper and better than stock. dremel is def easier for the job. never heard of airtex.

Friday, March 06, 2009 9:53 PM
where did you get yours from s1lver? would it be possible to PM me what you modified for it to work and how difficult it was to modify? i looked at http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=152413&t=152413#152413 and noticed airtonics did his slightly different than the install says. i could see if i could borrow a friends dremel, if i cant i would have no idea how i would modify it :\

here is some info i got from HPT, just the dtcs. did it a lean condition and also i couldnt hear the fuel pump hum it usually makes when you just turn it to the on position before starting the car. this is going to suck though.. cant work on cars in the apt lot so i dont know how im going to get this a 5 miles or so to my grandmas (i use her garage).. getting it towed would probably cost a handful..

[PCM] P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 (Old) (Current) (Immature)
[PCM] P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected (Old) (Immature)
[PCM] P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency (SES) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
[Unknown] B2600 - (History) (Immature)
[Unknown] B0005 - In Park Switch Circuit Malfunction (History) (Immature)
[Unknown] B2752 - (History) (Immature)
[Unknown] B2662 - (History) (Current) (Immature)
[Unknown] B2624 - (History) (Immature)

thanks

Friday, March 06, 2009 9:58 PM
hmm its 210 with the harness.. you do need the harness right?

Friday, March 06, 2009 10:00 PM
Also check the fuel pump connector at the body. When I was under warranty that connector kept coming loose causing the fuel pump to stop and the engine to stall. I wiggled the connector underneath the car and the fuel pump worked again for a week or so til it happened again.

Friday, March 06, 2009 10:19 PM
The harness is not needed but it elimates voltage drops to the pump, so it is recommended.

Trevor Mullins wrote:

Friday, March 06, 2009 10:39 PM
hmm alright ill check the connector if i can manage to get my arm under there (left my jack at my grandmas :| ), i might just get a stock replacement if i will have to end up spending 210.. another 60 to eliminate the hassle of modifying the pump to fit.. worth it to me i suppose. hope its not raining too much tomorrow..

thanks for all the input so far guys

Saturday, March 07, 2009 6:53 AM
if your tps sensor is staying at 9% go change it and problem solved. Had the same issue where my tps wasn't changing postion hence not fueling properly and weird idle.

Saturday, March 07, 2009 7:11 AM
Typically the 9% min and 88% max on the TPS is from electronic throttle control equipped vehicles. But I don't think yours is.

The TPS being faulty can do some weird @!#$. Mine caused random lean spikes that majorly affected driveability. Didn't occur at idle, not at WOT, only under low to medium throttle. Ended up being that the TPS was reading way too low compared to what the throttle plate was actually at. New one solved it all, throttle response was back, lean spikes were gone.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Saturday, March 07, 2009 7:35 AM
wierd cause i'm running a stock pump on a 3800SC with a 3.4" pully creating 11lbs and my pump has almost 400 000km on it

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, March 07, 2009 8:32 AM
evilmonkitar wrote:where did you get yours from s1lver? would it be possible to PM me what you modified for it to work and how difficult it was to modify? i looked at http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=152413&t=152413#152413 and noticed airtonics did his slightly different than the install says. i could see if i could borrow a friends dremel, if i cant i would have no idea how i would modify it :\
thanks

Racetronix thread in Performance

don't you know brian (speedracerz) or tom (wrenchmonkey) or matt (02redbadged)? i'm sure they have one you can borrow and/or they'd help you.
i did buy the harness w/ it. didn't use it yet. wanted to have it as a backup just in case i did experience the voltage drops. i believe in that thread airtonics didn't use the harness either.

bought it from Racetronix's website

Saturday, March 07, 2009 9:57 AM
never really messed w/ a fuel pump before. but wouldn't mind helping w/ what i can! alot of grand prix guys swear by racetronix tho!

WiGM-Tuners member.
Saturday, March 07, 2009 11:51 AM
K. Vega..Mr. M62 L61 himself. wrote:if your tps sensor is staying at 9% go change it and problem solved. Had the same issue where my tps wasn't changing postion hence not fueling properly and weird idle.

its always been like that though and i havent had a problem until yesterday, so it seems weird it would affect it now :\ i definitely could try that first in case it really is screwing me so i dont spend 200+ on a pump

i still think the pump may be bad because i couldnt hear its usual noise when turning the ignition to the on position. but ill try the tps first. hopefully napa has them

thanks again all for the input so far

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:29 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:wierd cause i'm running a stock pump on a 3800SC with a 3.4" pully creating 11lbs and my pump has almost 400 000km on it

Ya.... was thinking the same thing too with my old '02......

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search