Turbo 3.1 MPFI Production Numbers? Found one How Rare? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo 3.1 MPFI Production Numbers? Found one How Rare?
Thursday, June 07, 2007 2:33 PM
I stumbled upon a turbo 3.1 from a Grand Prix, very nice set up. I know it must be very rare and was wondering if there is anything desireable about it. I already pulled the turbo crossover pipe, I dont have the turbo and I got the intake cover which reads, intercooled turbo. Anything else desireable I should pull for resale?

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
2.3-2.4 HO ADAPTER FLANGES 65$ shipped, Check GP Forum!

Re: Turbo 3.1 MPFI Production Numbers? Found one How Rare?
Thursday, June 07, 2007 3:43 PM
I pulled the intercooler from the one I found, nice unit.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Thursday, June 07, 2007 3:58 PM
the crossover pipe DEALER COST is 1100$...... the intake its self is diffrent also.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:14 PM
So you found a engine that -
1. Is already prepped for boost. From a boost-friendly ecu to boost-ready internals.
2. Is much larger than either of your own engines and has alot more potential to boot.
3. Is the boosted equivalent to an engine that is found in 2nd gen J-bodies already. Pretty easy swap I'd imagine. Almost direct swap for those 2nd Gen people who already have a 2.8 or 3.1 engine.

And you want to pull parts off of it?! Are you mad?

If you don't want to swap it into your own vehicle(then you're crazy - I see in your profile that you even have a 2nd gen) - then sell the thing whole. I have no doubt you'd have any trouble finding a buyer for that thing. If I wasn't currently working on a 3.8L already I'd want it myself. All a person would have to do is buy a turbocharger(apparently this one is missing it) and its complete. For a couple grand a person could turbocharge their own engine - so you could sell it for more than that. With this they could get a much larger engine already boost ready - and considering that its gonna handle alot more boost already than their current stock blocks will hold up to - I'd would be a way better option for someone.

So obviously you could ask for several grand. Its well worth it. After all - just how much would you have to spend to get your engine to match that thing's potential - ALOT. And chances are at that point your engine isn't nearly as street friendly.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:33 PM
There is nothing special about the motor its self, other than its the same motor that the APV's got, (forged crank, rods ect.)

He would have to mod the exhaust any way to get it to work in the car anyway....

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:56 PM
Taetsch Z24 wrote:There is nothing special about the motor its self, other than its the same motor that the APV's got, (forged crank, rods ect.)

He would have to mod the exhaust any way to get it to work in the car anyway....
"Have to mod the exhaust" - people need to do that anyways when they turbocharge their car. The factory downpipe isn't gonna fit - besides being to small for turbo apps anyways. And having an engine that already has forged internals - that is gotta be worth something to someone.

That's my take anyways.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:29 PM
wow, that would freaking rule. id love to have that setup on my 95 grand prix 3100.

although it IS pretty rare... car-part.com has quite a few. it wouldnt let me link directly to the the page so yull have to type in your stuff.

pontiac grand prix
supercharger/turbocharger
1990-1994

ohhhhh turbos

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:39 PM

Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:48 PM
.. Sure, or you can buy an APV motor..... Same thing, but cheaper. What I was alluding to was that the cross-over pipe hits the motor mount..... So why mess with it anyway, but the intake does look cool

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, June 07, 2007 6:00 PM
the beretta family usually eat those up. i should know i looked for one for a long time when i had my GTZ. hit up bstuff.com and beretta.net you shouldnt have a problem getting rid of whatever you may pull
Thursday, June 07, 2007 6:40 PM
I might pull the whole motor then, The crossover pipe looked fancy and the flange was in nice shape. Is the intake worth anything? I wish I had looked at the car more closely I remember when it came in the yard. I did not think anything of it, so the turbo is gone and the intercooler. I may go back tomorrow to drop the subframe and take the whole front.

Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:05 PM
only the cross over, and upper intake are diffrent, the rear exhsaust man. is just the fount one in back...

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:28 PM
thats clever, I may have found a buyer for the whole motor for 350$. I will sell it for that unless anyone offers more, lol. A piece of gm history, were these things quick, I wonder how much they stickered out at.

Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:34 PM
so this is something special... i seen one one day at the j/y and was like eh, hey thats that one kids old car. so should i go back to the yard and take anything

Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:44 PM
I read somewhere there was nearly 2000 ever made, not sure how accurate it is. For any GM turbo car they are pretty rare. I am pulling the whole motor and tranny tomorrow.

Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:50 PM
From the research I did when I had my Sunbird there were less than 2500 EVER produced, and even fewer surviving. Most people who had them didn't realize how special it was, and treated them like @!#$.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:55 PM
They were ahead of their time, this one also had HUD, awesome car, never would have thought turbo. I feel bad cutting it up, but if I hadnt bought it it would have been crushed next week. I wish they would sell me the whole car but they cant.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search