After installing turbo? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
After installing turbo?
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:46 AM
Ok, its getting VERY close for me, the check is in the mail for my turbo FINALLY!...

Im wondering if theres anything special that needs to be done to "warm the car up to boost" if you will. Is there a break in type thing at all?

My plan was to let it idle and make sure it would just run with no problems, and then drive it out of boost near the house, and then get courageous and slowly build the boost up untill i wasnt afraid to go to the floor with it...

any suggestions on this type of thing?

Re: After installing turbo?
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:49 AM
1. Always, always always, let your car warm up before getting into boost. Not just to operating temp, but let it run a while to get the oil thinned out to push through the turbo quickly.

2. I think this is a given for most, but a lot of stupid kids out there would do this... GRADUALLY turn the boost up, don't install your turbo and it runs rich at 5psi, think "Well SpeedRacerZ ran 15psi on his" and knock yours up to 15psi and wonder why you're picking up pieces of your engine on the side of the road.

3. The turbo will smoke, its a given, and it will do it for a while. Yes, its a little embarrasing to stop at an intersection and have smoke pour out from under your hood, but it'll go away (as long as you installed it right).

Just take it easy for a while until you know your motor and you can handle it. Don't ride around with the stereo blasting and then end up with a blown motor, when you could have heard the pings long before hand. Always use premium gas and don't skimp on the fuel modifications.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Re: After installing turbo?
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:40 AM
Some good advice there sir, thankyou.

I am going to be installing the bigger injectors that came with the kit, and a BEGI FPR to start. Im not sure of the size on the injectors, but they are sized for the kit, and have been run before. Ill get some more info on that before i do anything with an install. (I dont remember the whole deal, bad memory).

You brought up some points that Ive never thought of before.

Anyone else with more suggestions? Id like to do anything possible to prevent pushing the car home, granted I need a reason to build the motor, I just dont want one RIGHT away.

Haha and Ive had a bunch of smoke before, when I installed the header I have, and just about every time I change the oil, it drips down onto the exhaust from the oil filter, I get plumes of it when i drive around right afterwards.

Thanks!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search