Johnny Mack/Karo turbo header for 2.4 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Johnny Mack/Karo turbo header for 2.4
Sunday, September 17, 2006 11:04 PM
Is anybody still running a turbo header or one of JMTS turbo systems? You dont hear anything about them anymore. I have been looking around profilers and such to try and find pictures of the header and turbo systems, but nothing is coming up. I cant believe that the market for J turbo manifolds is the way it is, it is hard to find a quality log manifold let alone a tubo header for our cars, and the benefit of a turbo header is unmatchable to any log mani out there!

Re: Johnny Mack/Karo turbo header for 2.4
Sunday, September 17, 2006 11:13 PM
im interested in this also, this winter/spring could be when i sell the charger and go turbo and am looking into different kits before i go ahead and make a custom one. i may be wrong but isnt there a auto yellow cavy on here running the JMTS kit? could be wrong.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 11:45 PM
what are you guys looking for? short tubular? ramhorn"

me and my buddy are about to get ourselves into some manis for 2.4s, ecos, and 2200s. we are going to start off with the basic logs but if we think there is a market for them we might produce a few short tubular or ramhorn manis. Heres a pic of my buddys for his b series honda which is similar to our "short tubular" idea

Intalled
off the car, shows the shape a bit more

and we all know what a ramhorn looks like, it will all be an issue of room but we might start messing around with some ideas soon.

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Sunday, September 17, 2006 11:52 PM
Fst Cavy wrote:Is anybody still running a turbo header or one of JMTS turbo systems? You dont hear anything about them anymore. I have been looking around profilers and such to try and find pictures of the header and turbo systems, but nothing is coming up. I cant believe that the market for J turbo manifolds is the way it is, it is hard to find a quality log manifold let alone a tubo header for our cars, and the benefit of a turbo header is unmatchable to any log mani out there!

What do you want to know? They're expensive and work well.

This one is coated by HPC.

M.
Sunday, September 17, 2006 11:56 PM
^^ basically the same thing as a ramhorn....are the the runners equal length?

Monday, September 18, 2006 12:06 AM
Boardorgohome wrote:^^ basically the same thing as a ramhorn....are the the runners equal length?

Close but no. The turbo sits low and towards the flywheel side of the motor - avoids firewall mods this way but it means that the runner on the right in the pic is a bit longer.

M.
Monday, September 18, 2006 12:08 AM
i didnt look at it close till after i posted but 3rd from the rest is a @!#$-ton shorter than the rest...i dont think it hurts much but i wonder what would be the differance between number with that mani vs equal length ram

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:03 AM
probably nothing.......

Those JMTS headers are bad ass.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, September 18, 2006 6:49 AM
Yes, there are a handful of people with these headers out there. You can still buy the header direct from Custom Tubes. They still have the jig for the header, downpipe and 3" exhaust, just email Willy for a price for it.

Quote:

im interested in this also, this winter/spring could be when i sell the charger and go turbo and am looking into different kits before i go ahead and make a custom one. i may be wrong but isnt there a auto yellow cavy on here running the JMTS kit? could be wrong.

Yes there is 1 yellow JMTS turbo Ectotec out here. I think it is BlackOpsEco. Just do a search with JMTS on engine mods and you will see a very small list of people

Jason
99 Z24

Racers Edge
Johnny Mack Turbo Systems
Engineered Performance
Monday, September 18, 2006 7:10 AM
custom tubes is awesome I bought ym exhaust from them

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, September 18, 2006 8:09 AM
Hey - I am the guy running the JMTS turbo Eco header - I'll help out to the best ability with any questions you need answered. - Andy

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Monday, September 18, 2006 10:30 AM
QBE (The Boosted One) wrote:custom tubes is awesome I bought my exhaust from them

I need to pick up one of those as well.......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, September 18, 2006 10:32 AM
I was young when they dropped them into the J market, and now you dont hear anything about them. I am just very interested, I think there are things that can be learned from any well developed and well engineered turbo kit. I was looking for any info and any pics really. How many of these did they end up selling?

That header IS badass, turbo lag is history, anybody know the size of the compressor and turbine and how long it took to spool it with that header?

I did read up on them some last night, and it seems that they spooled a t3/t4 with a 2.2 using one of those headers, now, that is saying something, you dont see many 2.2's running around with t3/t4 and spooling them effectively.
Monday, September 18, 2006 10:40 AM
Black Ops Ecotec wrote:Hey - I am the guy running the JMTS turbo Eco header - I'll help out to the best ability with any questions you need answered. - Andy

pictures?

Monday, September 18, 2006 12:14 PM
Pictures can be found here:
Photo site

read only password is kvil

I'll be adding more pictures to that page when I can. My home computer died so it may take a little while.

The kit has held up to years of daily driving and many visits to the 1/4 mile track for car shows and racing. The header is wrapped and sprayed with a silicone protectant to seal it from water and hold the heat in. It has not cracked like mild steel headers would. Innovative T3/T04e turbos were used on all cars with the kit. I can only account for the cars from this area, but there were 2 or 3 LD9 kits produced and sold - one being the one that started it all on Johnny Macks Built LD9. A 2.2 prototype as well as my Eco prototype were made. Mine was made on the car at the Custom Tubes shop. The things that the shop built were: Downpipe, header, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, and charge pipes. One of the keys to spooling the turbo so effectivly was the size of the charge pipes. Hot side being 2" and after the intercooler the pipes are 2.5" to the intake. An adjustable Vortech FMU and a MSD booster pump are used for fuel tuning. Fuel tuning has come a long way since we first installed the parts, but they still work. I found on the Dyno that the FMU adjusted to 8:1 using a replacabe disk with the booster pump and stock injectors yielded a fairly-safe-for the-street Air Fuel ratio - anything less was too lean (although it made more power and torque) I most recently took the car up to NOPI New England and won 1st place in the GM Street class car show. Also, this past wednesday, the car went 14.4 @ 98.9 at the track in full street trim. Next on the list is tuning with HP Tuners.

Hope this helps and if not, ask.

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Monday, September 18, 2006 12:38 PM
Fst Cavy wrote:it seems that they spooled a t3/t4 with a 2.2 using one of those headers, now, that is saying something, you dont see many 2.2's running around with t3/t4 and spooling them effectively.
You ever see Adler's setup? He didn't have any trouble spooling a 57trim with his JTuners manifold...my crappy little junkyard log mani spooled a straight T3 that's pretty much the same size as a smaller T04E very early in the powerband...
Why do you have to make it seem like there's nothing an LN2 can do?

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Monday, September 18, 2006 1:07 PM
jmack quit offering them , im not sure if custom tubes is even making them any more , since they hardly sold

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:35 PM
W00T!

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Monday, September 18, 2006 2:37 PM
^^^^ Very similar to mine except the external waste gate is on the rear side of the collector. Love that picture!

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:02 AM
that header is very expensive from what willey told me when i emailed him about it..... I may just have to get one cause its worth every dollar

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:16 AM
Skilz10179 wrote:W00T!

wow

where do I get one??

money is no object...

does this custom tubes place offer the same deal?

T3 flange with provision for tial external gate is preferrable..

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:30 AM

georgeus

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:34 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) wrote:

wow

where do I get one??

money is no object...

does this custom tubes place offer the same deal?

T3 flange with provision for tial external gate is preferrable..

Go to www.customtubesinc.com call the number, ask for willy and ask him how much to make a turbo header for an ecotec...

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:57 AM
I wonder if he has a jig for the Eco, since they only made one ( that I know of ) for the ECO motor. I'd be willing to help out with measurments and fitting if they need a donor car, although I have the huge auto tranny and A/C still. Let me know if any of you guys ever go forward with this.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:14 AM

it might be just me, but that wastegate looks like it's on wrong.

one im currently using:

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search