boost with stock tachometer - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
boost with stock tachometer
Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:50 PM
I know people have noticed how the factory tach cant keep up when your reving up really fast after you have added a power adder.like tubo or n20.

I hit my fuel cut in first and second gear when my tach is only at like 4 to 5k. I was just wondering what people are useing for shift lites.. I would like to get a small one that you could put behind the steering wheel and not be in the way but ave a bright lite to see when you need to shift.
But if they will only go off when the factory tach reaches the rpm you have it set to then i dont want to waste my money

Just wanted to know what people are using if anything and how they like it.. I did a quick search and didnt find much. any infomation would be apreciated. Thanks.

Re: boost with stock tachometer
Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:22 PM
x2. that happens alot. im lookin for an autometer 8k tach

http://www.myspace.com/15102113

Sunday, September 17, 2006 7:56 PM
Stewart Warner makes a nice tach/shiftlight combo. I have it and love it. It is the size of a shiftlight, has a digital tach inside of it, and works with no adapter. Autometer has just started copying them. Stewart Warner's site is down right now but I know there's pictures of mine on my website and floating around the internet somewhere. I'll post a link when the site comes back.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, September 18, 2006 8:35 AM
There's some pics here of what I'm refering to

Monday, September 18, 2006 7:42 PM
If it's the one behind the steering wheel. That looks prety good.. I not one for big tachs.. and thats just small enough. Thanks for the link..

What does it hook to if it doesnt need a tach adaptor.. I'm using the protfueler so i dont know how many things are safe to splice into you rpm wires..Dont want to many..

I see on your site that you sale stewart warner gauges but i dont see that one..

Can you get it ? If so how much?? Thanks.
Monday, September 18, 2006 8:29 PM
I can get it but since I'm so busy lately I haven't gotten to adding it to the site. I'll be doing more of that this winter when the car goes into semi-hibernation....or so I hope.

Direct link to the tach/shiftlight combo. They have a few different bodies and a few different color styles. They also have ones with different options as well.

To hook it up all it needs is a power, ground, and tach input (which can be taken from the ICM very easily). You just set it to read for our system and adjust the shiftpoint for the light to turn on and your ready to go. The hardest part was choosing where and how to mount it.

Shoot me an IM or email with the PN you want, or post it here if you want, and I'll get you a quote ASAP.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:42 PM
I have 2 boosted z24's. One is a 2001 and the other is a 2002. The stock tack works perfectly on them. One I have had the redline upped to 7 grand on using HP tuners. The tach keeps up just fine. The other has the stock rev limit and it works just fine.
When I first bought the second car it had white faced gauges. Whoever put the needles back on did not get them on tight. It caused the exact problem you are describing. I put them on tight and it works perfect. Hope this helps.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 1:03 PM
hay p/n is 114918 let me know... Thanks.
Tuesday, September 19, 2006 1:41 PM
crabgrass: $139.95. Any reason for choosing the red LEDs?

Wade: unless GM didn't put the needles on tight then the tach is SLOW. I used to hit the limiter in first gear when the stock tach was still reading about 4500-4700. That's a HUGE delay. If it was only a few hundred RPM I wouldn't mind...but a couple THOUSAND RPM I care about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 19, 2006 1:42 PM

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 1:55 PM
NO!! Is there a better one or one thats better to see?
Tuesday, September 19, 2006 2:14 PM
Color is a preference thing really but you'll notice most people use yellow for shiftlights and red for warning lights.

Red is a color that catches your attention and usually signals danger or emergency. Not exactly what you want to think of from a shiftlight. This is why most use it for warning lights.

Yellow is usually used to signal caution. That's what you wanna be thinking of when that light hits. Not that work car is exploding. LOL.

Mine is yellow and I think its a much better choice for a shiftlight....especially in that spot. Don't want a bright red light flashing at you like that.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:07 PM
Good point.. I will give you an e-mail this friday. About ordering a shift lite..
Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:04 PM
Sounds good.

The price is good for everyone else too.

Post mood: Hungry but happy

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 8:14 AM
Someone had removed the needles in my car in order to install the white faced gauge. That is why they were loose. Every tach that I have seen that has been untouched since it was assembled from GM has had the needles on tight. I dont understand why you guys have this problem and I dont. Maybe I just got lucky.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:03 PM
theres always the apex-i tachs...

mmm I miss mine...

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/list/1600/

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:18 PM
^^^^WOW that things huge.. 120mm, Thats almost 5in. Way to big for my taste.. But it does look really good. Only if they were made smaller..
Wednesday, September 20, 2006 8:08 PM
its a little under 4 inches... I believe or 4 on the dot 87mm is 3 I know...

but it doesnt matter that thing is amazing....

compatible from 1-12 cylinders so no stupid adapters...

stewart warners are nice I just dont like the design

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:14 PM
theirs 25.4 mm per inch.. so 120mm is 4.724409448818897637795275590512in , almost 5 in my opinion.. but still very sexy.

Do you know of any that look like that but arnt that big...
Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:50 PM
No, sorry I do not. All I know is that it is top notch and is awesome. 2 Stage shift light, cylinder compatibility from 1-12 and is just uber sexy

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search