Stupid downpipe!! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stupid downpipe!!
Friday, September 15, 2006 12:10 AM
First off, my car is a 02 2200 turbo.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this? For a while I was having this electrical problem so I got under the car today to find a nut on the starter loose. So I see the downpipe is hitting the bolt that the nut goes on, and well.. it put a hole right through my downpipe. Im assuming that the downpipe is causing the nut to loosen by all the ratteling. This is going to be a pain to get fixed since I can't weld.. Any suggestions?

Re: Stupid downpipe!!
Friday, September 15, 2006 4:53 AM
Cut the bolt down

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, September 15, 2006 6:04 AM
2200.... electrical problems can be caused becuase your turbo sits right next to the alternator.... make some kind of a heat sheield between the turbo / alternator... chaces are it may help you... unless you are having other electrical issues from inside the car.

Friday, September 15, 2006 7:50 AM
It's coming off because the downpipe was heating up the bolt. Same thing that causes all the little bolts on heatcheilds to come off.

Oh yeah and when sheiling the alt...don't wrap the alt...

--------------------------------------------------
'96 Cavalier Good ol' Pushrod 2.2
-24X,000 miles on factory build
-Some oil loss between changes, me thinks it be rings.
Friday, September 15, 2006 9:41 AM
I had an exhaust on a 2.2 hit the starter and a hand brake cable.... I parked the car and it welded my handbrake in the on position... burnt holes through the carpet... almost start the car on fire, when I got to the car in the morning a huge puff of smoke came outta the cabin... my car stank till it got stolen.

Anytime I hit bumps or cornered the exhaust would short out the car causing it to fall on it's face....

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Friday, September 15, 2006 4:23 PM
Yeah im 99% sure the nut coming loose on the starter was the electrical problem. But now i need to get the hole in the dp fixed and the bottom of the dp bolted to the car so it doesn't hit the bolt again. Cutting the bolt might be another good idea too.

Quote:

Anytime I hit bumps or cornered the exhaust would short out the car causing it to fall on it's face....

thats exactly what my car was doing. All dash lights would cut off then back on. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:18 AM
you can always slightly ding the down pipe so it has more clearence by the bolt......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search