Holy turbo set-up - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Holy turbo set-up
Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:05 PM

Re: Holy turbo set-up
Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:28 PM
Holy mother of hell, that's insane. But the question I have is - why? I mean, it's sexy as all get out but seriously... Going OVER the engine with the manifold? Crazy.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:40 PM
i seen something similar to that manifold in the "Maximum Boost" book, also on a quad four.......i thought that would be cool to do but can only imagine the time and effort into it...i would attempt to do it if i wanted to just run at the track.........That Turbo is friggin huge...!

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 7:08 PM
What is this white stuff all over my keyboard?? That is tits, deffinatly not a daily driver, that header would do all sorts of bad things under the hood during rush hour traffic getting nice and hot, and that turbo is HUGE, deffinatly for the strip.
Tuesday, September 12, 2006 7:14 PM
check out the thread on the quad4forums. it's been posted there for some time now. he's got a lot of good things coming for his car.
Tuesday, September 12, 2006 10:21 PM
i bet he got pissed off with clearence issues in the back of the motor and said screw it

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:14 AM
wow, so many problems associated with putting the turbo there. lag much? that thing is too huge, IMO.

its crazy cause its different, but different isn't always 'better'

look how far the exhaust gases have to travel before they even 'think' about spooling that monster.

neat setup forsure, practical? no.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:29 AM
did he take the pictures off or something??? I just see red x's

**changes are here**

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:44 AM
stevefire wrote:wow, so many problems associated with putting the turbo there. lag much? that thing is too huge, IMO.

its crazy cause its different, but different isn't always 'better'

look how far the exhaust gases have to travel before they even 'think' about spooling that monster.

neat setup forsure, practical? no.

I'd agree it's not practical but going simply on design, it's not much different than how a lot of the pro racers have their setups done if you think about it. If the collector is made right, cylinders paired properly, the correct merge, pipe diameter, etc., he could get the turbo to spool just from having a constant pulse from the gases. And if it's made of stainless, that header will hold enough heat that the exhaust pressure should be there.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 9:33 AM
well if you looked at specs it pulled something like 389 hp at the wheels
Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:09 AM
justinhc wrote:well if you looked at specs it pulled something like 389 hp at the wheels

Where do you see that? That is not spyhunters car, he posted that of another car. If you read that post and keep going he says it. Very interesting. I would like to know more about the motor in that car, if it is stock or not.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:36 PM
you guys be mad ignant

it's not made for street that typr of setup is made for a ram air suction (notice the giant induction. no air filter) its a race aplication. and its the only real way to go for a track setup.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:44 PM
Jcavi wrote:you guys be mad ignant

it's not made for street that typr of setup is made for a ram air suction (notice the giant induction. no air filter) its a race aplication. and its the only real way to go for a track setup.

Hey, it might be a race setup but if there's anything we've all learned is that there's always some fukker that tries to put this type of thing on the street. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was one of those cases.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:52 PM
I just think it would take too long to spool such a big turbo, the exhaust pulses have that much further to go before it hits the turbine. The longer the distance from the pulse, the weaker it will become.

however, there are things you can do to combat the lower exhaust gas velocity, such as the stainless steel runners, and header wrap.

lots of problems associated with heat dissipation too. What else is seeing all that heat from the exhaust?

I still think its cool, and it looks neat.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:20 PM
Well, the typical way of thought is that you need to put the turbo as close to the exhaust ports as possible with the most direct path possible for the exhaust gases to travel. Yes, it's the most common and accepted way. In cases such as this one where there is a significant distance between the head and the turbo, most would say there's going to be a ton of lag, some would even say this gives too much time for the exhaust gases to cool down, thus decreasing the efficiency. In part that has some truth but there's ways around it. Like Stevefire said, using stainless steel is one way. Since it has horrible thermal properties, it tends to trap heat, which reduces the cooling effect of having that much surface area. Something else is in the design. This guy had the right idea. He paired cylinders 1 and 4, and cylinders 2 and 3. Ever wonder why the best headers headers are built that way? It's in the firing order. By pairing them like this increases scavenging, thus helping to create more exhaust energy - and at the same time it creates a constant "pulse" of exhaust energy which helps the turbo spool. The only thing that could have been done differently would have been to merge the primaries side by side, right at the collector, which would have made the header a bit more efficient.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:56 PM
ahah i think i now see my new set up ahaha... i can get a bigger turbo in this way ahaha ... a new and reviesed twin charged project

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:50 PM
btw on a track you never see lower then 4 grand theres not spool problem.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:20 PM
Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:56 AM
albert gray wrote:http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8039

you must register to view it..

b) I must be invincible I can't even see it from the first post... it must be just me because all I see is red x's

**changes are here**

Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:56 AM
i seen a turbo set up like this on a 2.3 that was done years ago.... forgot what book i seen it in.
Thursday, September 14, 2006 2:10 PM
I can only see that being good for ruining your paint and fast warm ups in the winter.

--------------------------------------------------
'96 Cavalier Good ol' Pushrod 2.2
-24X,000 miles on factory build
-Some oil loss between changes, me thinks it be rings.

Friday, September 15, 2006 1:42 PM
hmm now I can see it.. damn thats nice

**changes are here**

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search