please help with PCV problems!!! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
please help with PCV problems!!!
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:48 PM
hey guys,

well to start off the car is running great and the AEM is working awesome so far. im only running 12 psi in the car right now because i dont have my boost controller hooked up to the AEM yet. anyway i am getting some smoke from the exhaust of the car that is definately oil. the car done this before i installed the turbo over the summer but when i had the head ripped off we found that the valve seals were installed wrong and were definately stretched and therefore i thought that would take care of the problem with the smoke. after starting the car for the first time and then getting the car tuned perfectly it is still smoking. you can tell that the smoke coming from the exhaust is definately oil by color and smell. here is my new idea of what i think is going on, over the past year and a half or so since i have been a member on the org, i have heard some of the turboed guys talking about things going on with the breather system on the 2.4 i did have the breather system apart when i rebuilt the engine last summer but i am almost positive i put it back together correctly. what i am wondering is if i need to do something with the pcv system to stop blow by... my brother which is the one that has helped me with my car thinks that we could be having an issue with the rings sealing so good that they are creating so much vacume that it is actually sucking oil back into the intake. we are running total seal rings and they are showing extremely good numbers for compression and hardly any leak down. i think my worst cylinder for leak down was 4 percent, the rest of them were between 1 and 2. now i do have the factory air box removed of course because i am running a turbo and i just have a breather filter clamped onto the stock breather hose coming from the breather system under the intake that goes into the stock air box. i know some of you might question the turbo seals being an issue but the turbo is brand new and we had the car started with the charge pipes unhooked and did not see any sign of oil coming from the the compressor housing. if any of you guys have any idea what i might look for i would appreciate it, like i said i know its been talked about on here before by some so im hoping i can get some help, thanks again.

Re: please help with PCV problems!!!
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:31 PM
i dont see how you can suck oil back into the motor if you dont have the pcv tube going back into the piping going into the motor.

do you have a restrictor on the turbo feed line?

Team GREEN

Thursday, August 31, 2006 6:25 AM
hello jake,

no i dont have a restrictor in the oil feed line for the turbo.... i dont know what i would use for a restrictor though because the line is quite small "3AN Steel Braided".... i have the feed line tapped into the back of the cam tower on the intake side. i heard that people have used this oil port source before without any problems and i never read anything saying that you would need a restrictor for it. but maybe this could be part of my problem considering that i have also read that turbo's dont need much oil pressure for running conditions and ballbearing turbo's take even less " i am running a journal bearing turbo on my car", but yes i have heard of this before also. i am at school now so when i go home this weekend im going to the return line off of the oil pan and make sure that it is draining the way that it should be. Jake, if you have any ideas with this restrictor maybe being part of my problem then please let me know. like i said, i used the same oil feed source for my centrifugal vortec supercharger so i thought it would be ok. another note i would like to make, i was under the car last weekend looking at things for oil leaks and what not and the engine looks great, no leaks what so ever. however, i did notice some oil drops on the compressor side of the turbo but only right where my air filter mounts for the inlet air. there was not much but there definately was a few drops lying there. if any of you have any more ideas, please let me know....thanks....

hoping to get the car to the track soon, l must say that it feels damn good to finally have a turboed j-body.......i never thought 15 psi and a 7500 rpm redline could feel so good....
Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:15 AM
ya, just serch in this forum for the restrictor thing. i know i seen it b4 posted.

Team GREEN

Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:08 PM
if you have your PCV system vented to the atmosphere as you describe, there is no way for oil to get into the intake from it. it would make a mess of your engine bay. it sounds like a feed line/turbo issue or perhaps a seal on the turbo itself. is it alot of smoke or just noticeable and is it noticeable on acceleration/decelaration or all the time??

Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:01 PM
Most times when oil goes passed the seals in a turbo it is due the the return line, not the feed.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:40 PM
hey guys,

the car smokes after it idles for a while as soon as you hit the throttle like it is building oil in the cylinder and then burning it when i rev the car. the only thing that is worrying me is the small drops of oil that were laying on the underside of the compressor housing next to the inlet for the turbo. i am really hoping that it didnt blow the turbo seals on start up because i have heard it is possible to do if inlet pressure is too high.....also you do have a point about the return line being restrictive and not letting oil back into the block easily enought causing a pressure build up. there is a small upward bend in my return line right at the outlet of the turbo only because i had to use a 90 degree fitting to extit the housing of the turbo due to clearence issues with the manifold. i am gunna disconnect my return line at the inlet of the oil pan to make sure that it is flowing well when the engine is running. any more ideas guys let me know. thanks alot
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search