Eco Charger....some help plz! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Eco Charger....some help plz!
Sunday, August 27, 2006 10:13 AM
I've been following the posts about the Eco chager for a long time and more so since I've installed mine and still follow every post to this day to try and keep up on it. I've been having an issue since I installed my Eco charger and I really think it's something that is related to the charger rather than anything before I installed it.

So, here is what I got....first off I have a 2002 LS Sport, 5-speed with the eco charger installed. I have full exhaust and running the OEM S-tube with a K&N cone on the end. I have swapped all my fuel items (rail, FPR, lines, etc) to 03 - 05 type to run the charger and I also have had the reflash done on my car by a GM dealer here in Germany.

First problem...My gas milage is crap and I mean absolute crap!! I can almost (really think I can to be honest) see my gas gauge move when I nail the throttle!! I mean I watch it go down!! I can burn a 1/4 tank of gas in about 4 - 5 minutes by getting on my car really hard! Before the charger it wasn't like this!

Second....My car is running constantly above 195 degrees...it's always at the next line on the temp gauge above 195 so not sure what that is but before the chager it rarely if ever ran above 195!

Third...my car stubbles alot now. Not sure how to explain it but it acts like it wants to go but if you get on the gas it just doesn't go? It won't do this till after it warms up though. I can get in the car, drive it to operating temps (around 195 or so) and nail the throttle and she goes!! It goes like it has a SC too...not just goes like it use to but goes like it's boosted! Then the next time I go to get on it it stubbles...hesitates...like it's getting too much gas or not enough...not a miss really as it sounds like it's flooding out almost (hence maybe the bad milage)??

So...that what I deal with each day! I tried to say all that's going on so maybe someone can nail it down to something? I also have a very, very black exhaust tip!! A lot of carbon build up on it! So much so I can wipe my finger on the tip and it's very, very noticable...??

No CEL either. Actaully, I've never had one since the charger was installed! I use to get one from time to time for a misfire but not had once in the 4 plus months since I've installed the chager.

Any ideals? Is there something I'm missing? Should I change my plugs over from the stock ones? Any help would be much, much appreciated!! I can explain more if someone has any thoughts? Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, August 27, 2006 10:22 AM

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?

Re: Eco Charger....some help plz!
Sunday, August 27, 2006 10:25 AM
well sounds like your running rich and killing timing from heat of the charger which could explain why ur running hot too.... maybe someone else could pop in here and help you out more. but that would be my guess

Sunday, August 27, 2006 10:31 AM
I was thinking that myself as I have yet to install my heat exchager! Maybe if I get that thing installed I'll see an improvement huh?

Thanks!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Sunday, August 27, 2006 11:45 AM
the intercooler might help out some

do you have a wide band o2 on your car ?

we have been running my g/fs cav and havent had any fuel issues , or higher temps , and our average mornig temp is 85-90 and peak day time is 105-115

i dont think phlatcav has had any problems with his either

Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:23 PM
No, no wide band on the car...wouldn't even know where to start on something like that!! Limited resources here since I don't have many J owners running boost here (none other than me!)

Lost on the problem and frustrated! The car runs awesome and then just seems to die all of a sudden and the gas it uses is unreal!

How hard is it to install a wide band? What's the right brand and where do I get one (via the net)? I still have a boost gauge and A/F guage to install as well as the heat exchanger!! It's tough without help you know? I understand the basic stuff but engine management and A/F and etc, etc...main reason I went with the charger over a turbo!

Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:43 PM
I recommend the plz m300 wideband....... if u can plum a few wires and uninstall/install a o2 sensor then you can do that..... its very simple and u dont need a 2nd bung for the stock narrow band o2 sensor since that has a input wire for it and it has a output for datalogging with hptuners. you can usually find them on ebay for under 300 bucks

Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:46 PM
Quote:

How hard is it to install a wide band? What's the right brand and where do I get one (via the net)? I still have a boost gauge and A/F guage to install as well as the heat exchanger!! It's tough without help you know? I understand the basic stuff but engine management and A/F and etc, etc...main reason I went with the charger over a turbo!

Take out your stock O2 sensor, replace it with a wideband sensor, plug in all the wires, mount all your wires / gauges and your good to go.

I will e mail you later today about the e mail which you sent to me.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:53 PM
Ok...so I get a wide band and install this thing...what's that going to do other than give me some data? I guess I can take that data and make corrections to help with this problem? What are some of the things I'll need to do?

I'll understand what is going on but how will I correct for it? Is there something becuase I'm running a 2002? I haven't seen anyone post about this other than me and I think I may be one of the few 02s with the charger??

Thanks and I'll look for that email Karo...

Sunday, August 27, 2006 1:37 PM
It will tell you your a/f ratio...... it will let you know if your rich/lean 14.7 is stoich and anything below that is rich and anything above that is lean...... general rule is if your boosted to have 12- 12.5 a/f ratio under acceleration.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 2:13 PM
you change your fuel filter lately? at all?

i have a 02 ls sport, thing was acting weird, then i changed the fuel filter and all is better.
good luck

Team GREEN

Sunday, August 27, 2006 2:25 PM
BlueDeuce, I have almost the exact same problems as you do, I start the car and when I press the gas pedal down its like it wants to go but it doesn't. The temperature i'm not sure about since I dont have any aftermarket temp guages but I dont have a heat exchanger installed either because of restrictions, mainly funds. I still have to get my boost guage installed too so you're not alone on that one, lol. I had a feeling my car was running rich too but wasnt sure because sometimes when I went to start it it would struggle almost, it was kinda like when Airtonics started his car when it was running rich in one of his videos (not sure if you will remember the video). My gas mileage isn't that bad though thats the thing.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 5:55 PM
I had the same problems you guys seem to have before i upped the fuel pressure. If i give the car throttle to fast it stumbles a bit but then gets up and goes. All is well now that my fuel pressure is a tad higher

As far as the heat issue mine does the same, goes one notch above 195 alot.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 6:06 PM
haven't noticed any of these problems, car responds instantly to gas pedal... my car is otherwise stock though... maybe it happens once you pair boltons with the charger?

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.
Sunday, August 27, 2006 11:08 PM
Well sounds like I'm running rich based on everyones input here and the temp thing doesn't seem to be the reason based on Aaron's Cavy doing the same thing.

Upping the fuel pressure seems odd to me as that would make it even richer right? Maybe I'm thinking in reverse here but sure seems it would?

I plan on getting out in it after work and hooking the laptop to it and doing some data logging with the program I have. I have Auto Enginuity for a program and I can data log several things including temps, 02 sensors, etc. I can't get A/F numbers though so I'll have to install my A/F guage I have although based on everything I've read, they aren't near as accurate as the wide bands are so not sure that will help much.

Does this relate to my fuel milage too...being too rich and pulling timing to keep up?

Monday, August 28, 2006 8:24 AM
yea if you are indeed rich do not up the fuel psi.

you realy need a wideband to see whats up with the af.

Monday, August 28, 2006 9:26 AM
Not to thread jack or anything, but seeing as though I have similar problems as BlueDeuce, should I get a Wideband also? My car really seems like it does not want to start on some days and it worries me. I know for a fact that I will be upgrading the plugs when I get the 3" pulley. I will be getting the 2.0L SC alternator aswell since I know for a fact that i'm still running my stock 2.2L one, whether that contributes to anything is another matter.

Monday, August 28, 2006 11:41 AM
Alex...I'd say yes on the wide band as it will only help determine when things are going south (if that ever happens)! No thread jack either...we are all here to help one another and if you are having similar problems why not post them up and see if we can get the smart ones to figure it out!!

So...I went out and ran the car tonight for about 20 minutes and did a lot of data logging. I have more information than I can process but basically it shows all my fuel trims (long and short term), voltage of the 02s, absolute manifold pressure, engine temps, air intake temps, and everything else I could log that would take a look at the fuel.

It took a bit longer to get the car to stumble tonight but why would it do that when you want it to! It finally did on the way back home and based ont he short term fuel trim and volts of the front 02, I was running very, very rich when it started to stumble and then it went lean. About half the amount of rich but lean non the less.

I can't post the info up here or even try to put it on Image Shack but if someone wants to take the time to read this for me and see what they get it will much appreciated. Email at dntwarman@t-online.de or send me a PM and I'll fire the excel spread sheet off and you can check it out for me.

Thanks too!!

Monday, August 28, 2006 12:12 PM
this isn't the kind of stuff i want to read about the charger on an 02 ls sport. i just ordered my charger on friday. hopefully you get this figured out. i agree with everyone else on the wideband issue, definitely get one and see what the a/fs are. good luck to ya

Monday, August 28, 2006 12:31 PM
BlueDeuce, the only problems I really have is my car struggling to start on some days, it starts but it just kinda struggles. Oh and I also have the problem with the car wanting to go but it just doesn't. I'll probably end up getting the PLX-M300 Wideband, looks like a pretty good one to me, although it will have to wait due to funds .

Monday, August 28, 2006 11:09 PM
I forgot to add last night that I had a pending code on my scanner after I drove the car...P0170. If I can remember right, this was a lean condition in bank 1 but was also for a rich condition too?

If you look at the data I have it shows I went really rich and then went lean...so guess that would make sense?

Thanks for those that emailed me and hopefully you all can figure this out!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:18 AM
Make sure you post as soon as you find out why you are going too rish and then going lean, I would love to know the reason.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:51 AM
i am deffintly getting this s/c, hopefully i wont run into any of these problems cuz it seems alot of you have. Keep us updated on how you worked it out because i might have to do similar

Friday, September 01, 2006 12:16 PM
Well nothing new on the problem yet but I did finally get my boost gauge installed and I'm hitting 11 PSI at WOT so I guess the SC is working good huh? lol

I'm also installing a A/F gauge and have everything ran for it other than the connection...I know, I know...they are nothing more than a light show!!! This may be true but it will at least tell me what my A/F is at WOT till I can get my wide band here and installed so I went ahead and installed it today too (for now ok)! $300 isn't just laying around all the time you know....but there was an A/F gauge sitting here so it will have to work for now...plus with the GM reflash, not like I'll be tuning the car right?

I'll hang the heat exchanger on Sunday and get that all hooked up and see where I am I guess. Still nothing back from the folks who emailed me and ask for the printout so still kind of lost on the whole issue??

Anyways, just wanted to say the SC is boosting strong and we'll see how it goes after Sunday....more to come!

Friday, September 01, 2006 2:54 PM
Hopefully you get it sorted out, I suppose I should install my Boost guage and custom guage holder(s) too. I've just been too damn lazy lately, lol.

Friday, September 01, 2006 3:47 PM
Just a question, couldnt you go to a GM dealer and get them to fix it? It's under warranty right?

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search