Finally got my megasquirt, SINBIRD updates! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Finally got my megasquirt, SINBIRD updates!
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:59 AM
My megasquirt ECU is finally here! I also have a few more little updates.
I started the weight reduction. I started by removing the blower motor assembly, cruise control box and windshield wiper motor form the firewall. I am keeping power steering unil I get a chance to pull the motor and replace the steering rack. The pump and bracket aren't hurting anything just yet.
I also unbolted the doors... I will be pretty much just running the door skins so I need to cut out the inside metal. I ordered a cage though so its all cool.
For fuel management I am trying out Megasquirt with SRT-4 injectors. They should be able to take me to the desired 300hp mark. Anything higher will be from nitrous.
I'm working on new charge pipes for the new (big) turbo set-up. I got a second HKS ssqv blow-off valve, together they should sound badass letting off at 20-25psi.
The head is coming off again one day next week to install to cometic MLS headgasket I purchased from EvilAngel in Canada.

That is pretty much all the updates I have. I should get a lot more done soon as I don't have anybody else's car in my garage anymore. Enjoy the teaser picture:

Cardomain|Myspace

Re: Finally got my megasquirt, SINBIRD updates!
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 3:33 AM
nice!

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 4:20 AM
I still don't get running MS over OEM, but that's just me.

Either way, once that thing's dialed in it should fly.

-->Slow
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:03 AM
slowolej wrote:I still don't get running MS over OEM, but that's just me.

Either way, once that thing's dialed in it should fly.

-->Slow

The advantage is tuning on the fly. I'm not very formiliar with OBD1 in general sadly. I figured you would have caught that with as many questions as I have asked about burning chips. I have tuned MS before and love how easy the software is to use. I also plan on swapping for DIS in the very near future so MS is a very good option for me.

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:19 AM
yeah for MS

im sure you dont need it but if you ever need any base maps afr targets or presets let me know.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:38 AM
I should be straight. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is the timing.
I'm wiring the MSD to megasquirt (v3 supports the 6al) and wiring the complete fuel injection system, eliminating the stock computer. I will be making an entire new wiring harness. Basically... I'm going to have problems if it doesn't start right up the first time.
Should be good though... I'm excited to see what kind of numbers this thing can throw down.

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:26 PM
what is the reason behind two BOVS??? did you seriously add more work, pay xtra money, make less room to work in the engine bay and add a little more weight for a cool sound?
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 3:09 PM
Kyle Kurtz wrote:what is the reason behind two BOVS??? did you seriously add more work, pay xtra money, make less room to work in the engine bay and add a little more weight for a cool sound?

not only that but its a sunbird two

oh snappp edit, im doing this from now on

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 20, 2006 3:10 PM

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 4:23 PM
More work...... 5 extra minutes of welding
Extra money........ Freebie, I paid nothing for the second one
More weight........ 4-5oz at most... I could skip out on a can of coke and save more weight than that.
Less room under the hood.......... My hood has a 4" cowl in it, molded off the cowl on my buddy's Mustang

Add the advantage of less chance of compressor surge.. yah.. awesome. But the big reason I wanted to do it was because the ssqv sounds like total butt above 15psi and I am the one driving the car, so I think it is totally golden for me to decide what is a waste and what isn't.

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 4:48 PM
Quote:

The advantage is tuning on the fly. I'm not very formiliar with OBD1 in general sadly. I figured you would have caught that with as many questions as I have asked about burning chips. I have tuned MS before and love how easy the software is to use. I also plan on swapping for DIS in the very near future so MS is a very good option for me.

Not arguing, or bragging, just letting you know what can be done.

I tune my OBDI ecms on the fly. Both the one in the Sunbird and the one in the Cavalier, and when I have time the one in my '57 pickup. There is hardware which allows it. and it's not too expensive.
I use WBO2 with both cars. Separate display, but it can be read through the 1227749 if desired.
I also log the data from all the sensors while I drive using my laptop.
I use DIS with the 1227749 in my Cavalier. I plan to install GM DIS on my Sunbird.
The tuning software is easy to use, but there are a bazillion more variables in the OE ecm which can make things tricky. The same variables can also make things very good.

The OEM ECM is very powerful. Using MS instead seems like tossing out a big block for a 4 cyl, 'cause you know how to fix the 4 cyl. Actually, it's like tossing out an old Quadrajet carby for a fuel dumping Holley, since the Holley is so easy to work on. But it's Ok that you're going to use what ya know. BTDT plenty of times. At least you're not afraid of diving in and rewiring.

It didn't seem like you'd asked a bunch of questions about burning chips. I must have missed 'em.

Quote:

I am the one driving the car, so I think it is totally golden for me to decide what is a waste and what isn't.

And that is what it's all about in the end.
-->Slow
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:27 PM
Wow, didn't know all that about the obd1 comp. Sounds like a great tool for tuning. I really wish I knew more about it, but to be honest with you, today I pulled my intake manifold and fuel rail off and started hacking away at the wiring harness.

MS is usually a pretty simple install but I have never done it with ignition controls or deleting the entire ECU. There are a lot of misc power and ground wires I that I am trying to be neat with... The less cuts I make the less I will have to re-sodder later. I am also in the process of removing all the windshield wiper system wires and building a nice new clean system for the headlights. Fun stuff!

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:34 PM
I started with an OBD1 ECU connector (for the holley) and made my own harness.. so the only wires I had to deal with were the ones the EMS called for.

much easier then redoing the factory harness, and at least for me, it was easy to hide the stock stuff.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:09 PM
M I N I O N - Sinbird wrote:More work...... 5 extra minutes of welding
Extra money........ Freebie, I paid nothing for the second one
More weight........ 4-5oz at most... I could skip out on a can of coke and save more weight than that.
Less room under the hood.......... My hood has a 4" cowl in it, molded off the cowl on my buddy's Mustang

Add the advantage of less chance of compressor surge.. yah.. awesome. But the big reason I wanted to do it was because the ssqv sounds like total butt above 15psi and I am the one driving the car, so I think it is totally golden for me to decide what is a waste and what isn't.

cool let me know how fast your car picks up betwen shifts.
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:22 PM

I'd say t's going to spool quite well.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 11:47 AM
Hard line nitrous setups are soo sexy.

Check out my car....
http://members.cardomain.com/o4blackfire
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 11:58 AM
M I N I O N - Sinbird wrote:

I'd say t's going to spool quite well.

pwnd

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 11:59 AM
btw smallest engine ever

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:09 PM
Small motor got balls.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:10 PM
lol I saw the pic fairly quick and thought the engine wasn't there

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 6:10 PM
I replaced that picture of the nitrous manifold on a carbon hood on my domain with a new picture in the engine bay. Here is a large version.

Power steering is now fully deleted. I made a new bracket for the altenator to allow me to use it as a tensioner, instead of the tensioner on the power steering pump assembly. That means that there are only two pulleys on the entire serpentine assembly. and I don't have to remove the PSP bracket to take off the intake manifold. Other that that, I have started cleaning the firewall and drawing out a wiring diagram.

Oh happy days.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:05 PM
82 Cav came with manual steering rack. I owned one once. Might save the arms a little bit of effort.

-->Slow

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:56 PM
all im saying is the two bovs do more bad then good, i dont care how much nitrous you use two bovs will make your car slower.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:07 PM
That's not true. The HKS ssqv uses reverse diaphragms so they don't leak at all under boost. Plus, any air at all that surges the compressor wheel slows it down. If you don't believe me, turn on your fan and then lay it on the floor and see how much it slows down.
The extra bit of speed that the compressor wheel will hold should hold its own against the boost pressure lost. Besides.. we are talking about fractions of a thousandth of a second. I don't imagine I will be able to drive the 5spd consistant enough that it will be relivant.
And again.. I like the sound. I have no power steering, no a/c, not heat, not convertible top, no radio, no windows... let me have sooooome fun with the car.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:08 PM
pictures look really good man, I like the dual BOV setup personally, espically with your higher pressure numbers.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:03 AM
that's sick man.

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search