Higest Octane with Boost - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Higest Octane with Boost
Friday, June 09, 2006 8:55 PM
Whats the highest Octane i can use with boost on an ecotec... Is to high of an octane bad for the car?

2004 Turbo cavalier 11PSI and blown!

Re: Higest Octane with Boost
Friday, June 09, 2006 9:09 PM
Highest you can buy before going alcohol. You won't run into problems until you start running pure race gas.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:11 PM
Whats considered pure race gas, what Octane?

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:32 PM
I forget exactly, but its around 110, nothing you can buy at a pump.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:46 PM
i never thought of this question! its a good one

they sell 110 at the race track around me, 116 even! i think... is it bad for me to put this in my car then? (w/methanol/water injection)

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Friday, June 09, 2006 9:48 PM
Race gas technically begins at 113 because that is the highest they are allowed to put in the tanks and pump out at the track. You can get higher but only in 5 gallon drums and up. Anything over 103 is going to be leaded though except for one brand (forget which) has a 105 no-lead blend that is VERY hard to get a hold of.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Friday, June 09, 2006 9:52 PM
Hypsy is right

you can go as high as you want so long as you stay unleaded

Friday, June 09, 2006 10:10 PM
got it! thanks

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Saturday, June 10, 2006 1:59 AM
dont bother with them octane boosters cause i read that they dont do squat. you would have to fill your tank half way with that stuff for it to be a noticble octane difference.

Now Powered By TEAM GREEN

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....
Saturday, June 10, 2006 1:21 PM
It's best to not run excessive octane, for the characteristic of the fuel's burn speed (higher octane burns slower than lower octane) can really impede performance and give the illusion of excessively rich fuel mixtures.

For example: our Sunfire ran high 11's on 100 octane unleaded. My drag Mustang goes low 10's on 100 octane unleaded.

Let me try to make a good recommendation: how much boost are you running, and what's been done to the engine?

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Saturday, June 10, 2006 4:30 PM
^^ He is right as well, higher octane burns slower which is why you use it on engines with high cylinder pressures (high compression, lots of boost, ect..) the point of the higher octane is make it burn slower so it burns when you need it to. With real high compresion engine running cheap gas the gas is alot more volitile, when its injected in hot spots in the cylinder, the temps form compressing the air ect.. can cause enough heat to cause the low octane to burn before the spark even fires (detonation) which freaks out the knock sensor and retards your timing back to drop power down to keep the engine from killing itself. At the same time if you have an 8:1 compression N/A motor running on 100 octane the fuel is more resistant to burning and will burn slower, when it burns to slow you can be dumping the still burning air/fuel charge out the exhaust whic is not a good thing, the engine is working to make power that you just wasted dumping it out the exhaust, not to mention that can take out 02 sensors and cats ect alot quicker. The key is to find the octane you need. I don't remember the formula for calculating what octane to run, if you have acess to HPTuners or a scan tool you can do experiments to figure out what works for you, put the engine under load (drive it and floor it) see what the knock sensor is doing, if your sensor sees knock and retards timing go up an octane level and try again and see what happens. When you find minimum knock and timing retard thats probobally a safe bet for what you should run. Or like Bill said give some details and some people with experience can throw in there expertise and point you in the righ dirrection.

Also Bill since your here I have a question for you. On the oil return linr for the Eco stage 2 kit, you need to tap a 3/8 NPT threads into the oil pan, can you tell me what size drill bit to use for the hole? Thanks

Saturday, June 10, 2006 4:56 PM
Sure thing...
.590" drill for 3/8 NPT. The material in the pan is thin, so if anything, a slightly smaller drill bit is acceptable, but certainly no bigger.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

www.turbosystem.com

Saturday, June 10, 2006 5:09 PM
hahaha damn that was quick, I've been trying to find an answer for a few days now thank you very much

Saturday, June 10, 2006 5:09 PM
oh yeah what did you seal it with just some RTV liquid gaskjet kida stuff or so of the tephlon tape or what?

sorry again for the thread jack

Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:20 PM
Wow i actually posted a question that peoples interested in

Anyway, im running the Hahn Stage 2 kit with boost controller set to 10-11psi... Can i go with a higher octane than 93? I know of i think 2 gas stations around me that have higer octane. One has 110 octane and the other has not so high but higher than 93...

Anyone?

Saturday, June 10, 2006 9:01 PM
^^ like I was saying try geting a hold of a scan tool and on the 93 see if it sees knock and pulls timing (fyi when I had the cams in it had such an agressive grind mixed with the other mods it thought the knock sensor saw the rough running as knock the cams created and retarded ignition timing to 0 degrees - regular was somethign in the range of 35 degrees? I mightbe making that up but it does ring a bell in my head) so if you see justra couple degrees geting knocked back its probobally not a big deal.

either way I'm sure someone will chime in

Saturday, June 10, 2006 9:44 PM
MetallicCavy (EcoEnvy) wrote:Wow i actually posted a question that peoples interested in

Anyway, im running the Hahn Stage 2 kit with boost controller set to 10-11psi... Can i go with a higher octane than 93? I know of i think 2 gas stations around me that have higer octane. One has 110 octane and the other has not so high but higher than 93...

Anyone?

The 110 is leaded, which will kill you O2 sensors and your cat, if you have one. If you want to run a higher octane find a gas station that sells it, there are a bunch of places in Mi that sell 100 octane unleaded at the pump.

In my car i use a 100/93 mix all the time.

Here is a list of a few places, but i know there are more.
http://www.sunocoinc.com/Site/Consumer/RaceFuels/260GT100Locations/Michigan.htm

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 10:48 PM
Depending on the type of o2 sensor you run in your car it will more than likely go out on you due to the leaded fuel which you will be using... ie.. race gas... C14 C16 or what have you...

Some of the higher end sensors like the Motec will last much longer while using pure race gas... but do you really want to get a 3-500$ o2 sensor just so you can run race gas?

Sunday, June 11, 2006 12:47 AM
best is to run the lowest octane gas you can , and keep knock away

now that HP tuners is out , you can mix that up a little , and make a race tune , and street tune

run more advanced timing and a higher octane gas , for the track

and lessadvanced timing , and low octane for the street

and just swap tunes , but that will take some time to get right , and alot of dyno or track time

darkstars , dont forget that there is a divit on the girdle above the oil pan that is for the oil drian back , and its higher than oil level

although i can say hahn's location works , ive always been a fan of keeping the drain back just above the oil level

Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:00 AM
Thanks for everyones input... But im not using race gas. LOL. I was just asking to see whats the higest that could be ran... But thanks again...

Sunday, June 11, 2006 2:03 PM
I run 93 every day and add in 100 no-lead at the track. Normally comes to 1 gallon 93 to 3 gallons 100. At one point I ran 3 gallons of 110 to 5 gallons of 93. It flagged codes for the O2s but those went away as it burned off but I wouldn't suggest using it regularly. I did that last year on the Hot Rod power Tour at Indy when I had no other choice and wanted to crank the boost a bit.

On my trip this past week, Power Tour AGAIN, I did prove something to myself and something to tell Bill, and since he's here now he doesn't have to wait till tomorrow when I call him, but my car was running 13-14PSI on 93 octane ONLY because I couldn't go ahold of any 100 Rockett with ONLY 2, thats right 2, degrees of knock retard. I don't know how much more tuning I can do to find out the limit but this was something I was wondering about and with GMs help I did a little research while making some runs and got a lot of good info. It was really cool to see some of GMs best minds and some of their own corporate master-techs pouring over my car when I pulled it up to their trailer after making a few passes and having them try to figure out why it hadn't blown up yet. LOL. After I have some time to digest all the runs and data I got from myself and GM I'll post up some stuff.

Bill: I'm gonna give you a call tomorrow about what we talked about at the track. I'm very interested now after pulling 15PSI and having no float

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:24 AM
Darkstars wrote:oh yeah what did you seal it with just some RTV liquid gaskjet kida stuff or so of the tephlon tape or what?

sorry again for the thread jack

The teflon tape is only so-so in this case due to the thin nature of the oil pan...it tends to shear and tear. You are better off with teflon paste or RTV silicone. In either case, use some alcohol or brake cleaner on the threads to ensure no oil contamination of the sealer.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

www.turbosystem.com

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:30 AM
And to answer the Ecotec Octane question...well, It appears Ryne is answering it pretty well too, at least from the point of view of the hairy edge, lol. Keep me posted, Ryne

For safety's sake, a 50/50 mix of 100 and 93 for 10-15 PSI boost. Both unleaded, of course, to keep those oxygen sensors happy.

15-20 PSI...pure 100 octane unleaded.

These recommendations are conservative and safe, are based upon stock compression ratio, and presume correct air-fuel ratios.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

www.turbosystem.com

Monday, June 12, 2006 8:27 AM
I'm with Bill for sure 12PSI+ and its 93/100 mix for me from now on. I felt so iffy running 93 only even with such small retard numbers. I'm gonna make sure I take some 100 with me on trips like this from now on unless I can get HPT and make a good 93 octane tune.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:11 AM
My question is how can youguys afford running 100 octane on the street... it is WAY expensive here. $10/gallon of 101 unleaded...

Kris Bloom
Street Challenge
http://www.streetchallenge.info
Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/projectz/ <--- The Cav
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search