I dynoed today!! 335.56hp/357.48tq on 23 psi. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I dynoed today!! 335.56hp/357.48tq on 23 psi.
Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:53 PM
Well did I few pulls on a dyno today. The car is daily ran on 20 psi and like that I made my 1st pass.
1st pass was on 20 psi and pump 93 octane and the car was pulling timing pretty bad so it put down in 4th gear with VSS disconnected. 295.05 hp and 326.22 tq.
That was pretty bad for 20 psi but you can run 30 psi and if your ECU is pulling more and more tming you will NOT make any more power. lol
2nd run was with 2 gallons of C12 mixed in with about 4 gallons of 93 which gave it about 99-100 octan mix and on same boost same fuel pressure just left the way it was it put down 318.13 hp and 341.39 tq.

THAT WAS 23 HP AND 15 TQ JUST SIMPLY RAISING OCTANE 7 POINTS!! lol What a gas.

Next pass I raised the boost and the fuel pressure and richened it up on the S-AFC about 5%.
Total boost about 22 psi and it put down 328.97 hp and 357.55 tq.
I raised the boost another pound to 23 psi and it started pulling timing one more time to give me 335.56 hp and 357.48tq.
If I had more C12 and bumped it up to 105 octane the car would have put down about 370-ish to the wheels.

I was expecting 370 and I got 357 whith timing being pulled so it's all good.
Bill Hahn put down 403 hp on 25+ psi, I think they were saying something like 28-30 psi on a 20G and they were running straight 109 octane unleaded (highest octane it gets unleaded) VP Import with timing being left where it is factory at 18 degree max advance.
Octane matters A LOT GUYS!! I know a lot will back me up on this one. lol

BTW all the pulls on the dyno A/F meter were below 10:1 A/F but my Innovate was showing 12.2:1 on the last pass and this Innovate is pretty damn accurate, acctually dyno did show 10.6:1 A.F at one point for a spread of 200 RPMS.

Next time on the dyno I will have following.
Valve springs.
Titanium retainers
Machined keepers (to prevent valve rotating)
Maybe cams
Adjustable cam gears.
720 cc injectors (right now they are DSM Style Fuel Injection Clinic 650's)

I am hoping I can run on straight 112 or higher octane so that timing is not a problem anymore and the car will be logged while dynoing as well, and 25-26 psi.
I am hoping to crack by the 403 hp or 410 tq whichever.

Also, right now there is so much crank case pressure being formed in the bottom end that it is leaking oil at the oil return line and clamps are small that hold the steel braided line to the fitting in the girdle that it is leaking right there.
I am hoping all the pressure is NOT back feeding up the return line cause return is not pressurized oil and it needs to flow out of the Turbo cause if the pressure is blocking the oil from coming out of the Turbo it could cause premature Turbo bearing failure.
How would I go about getting this situated anyone??
Also, I have a lot of air coming out of the valve cover fitting and I don't have a breather filter on it, not oil just air, but I think I am gonna tap it and run a braided line to a catch can.

If anyone wonders I think this 335/357 hp/tq to the wheels translates with 17% drivetrain loss in a 5 speed car to 392/418 hp/tq to the motor.

P.S. We couldn't get the car to dyno in 3rd for nothing it was spinning on the dyno and my tires are some meaty ones 225/55 R16's.
and also, I broke my Idle Air Control Sensor it fell apart seperated from the plug the white from the black piece and broke the 4 little wires and now the little mechanism it is doesn't work we manualy set it for 1100 RPM's idle.

Also, question for the boosted guys, do you guys run the vacuum to your wastegates from a charge pipe that way the wastegate doesn't see vacuum or from the manifold so that it DOES see vacuum, I was told to run it off the charge pipe it is a lot better as to responsiveness.

Sorry for the long post guys, I am a little excited.
Valve float DOES NOT happen at this particular point in my car.

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Re: I dynoed today!! 335.56hp/357.48tq on 23 psi.
Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:56 PM
If anyone cares BTW, this was done in STD correction and smoothing 2 on a DynoJet which are the same settings I always use, if you want SAE numbers they are about 10 less for the HP and the TQ.

My last pass was dyno run number 94. lol Dyno time at Race Related RULES!!! One of the best shops in Florida!!

Friday, June 09, 2006 3:12 AM
uh, where's the graph? lol

what size turbo are you running again? i forget...

anyway, there's no need to give the wastegate a manifold vacuum source... running it off the charge pipe is fine.

Now, i'm going to try to word this very carefully, because I don't mean to "talk smack" or get anyone's panties in a bunch, but there are plenty of import cars, vw, hondas, etc, with less displacement, and higher compression than your built motor, who are putting down 400+ on 93 octane dude. This is why I keep telling you to invest in some real tuning and stop farting around with a stock timing map and that safc/fmu stuff. 335 whp would be pretty impressive on pump gas, but the fact that you have to use pretty high octane race gas to achieve that number, well, its kind of depressing in a way because you're handicapping yourself when your car could be doing so much more if only you'd get some real tuning going on. I'd say nice numbers, but I honestly can't, because they're not that good considering your hardware. Just recently I saw a t3/t4 50 trim 1.8t over on vortex that put down 344 whp at 22 psi on 93 octane, tuned by a pro, on a mustang dyno, which is far less generous with hp readouts than the dynojet you're using.

Now before I start getting the flames, I'm not saying this to put you down. I want to see your car get to its full potential instead of having band-aid fix after band-aid fix applied to it just to get a few extra horses out of it. The potential of the ecotec is great, but it can only go so far on amateur tuning with limited tools. You're still making more power than probably 99.999% of the people on here, but it could be much much more if only you'd do it right.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, June 09, 2006 4:27 AM
hell yeah man! thats sooo sick! good work. I believe that the drivetrain loss for an ld9 with a getrag is 12% from what I remember reading, not to sure about an eco but I can't imagine its that much different being the transmissions are just about the same. Could be wrong tho. Again, sweet job!

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Friday, June 09, 2006 4:51 AM
I'll need that shop's number when things start rolling for my eco build ; )

A couple of tampa guys went out to Bradenton last night. I wish I would have thought to tell you sooner.

Friday, June 09, 2006 5:26 AM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:uh, where's the graph? lol

what size turbo are you running again? i forget...

anyway, there's no need to give the wastegate a manifold vacuum source... running it off the charge pipe is fine.

Now, i'm going to try to word this very carefully, because I don't mean to "talk smack" or get anyone's panties in a bunch, but there are plenty of import cars, vw, hondas, etc, with less displacement, and higher compression than your built motor, who are putting down 400+ on 93 octane dude. This is why I keep telling you to invest in some real tuning and stop farting around with a stock timing map and that safc/fmu stuff. 335 whp would be pretty impressive on pump gas, but the fact that you have to use pretty high octane race gas to achieve that number, well, its kind of depressing in a way because you're handicapping yourself when your car could be doing so much more if only you'd get some real tuning going on. I'd say nice numbers, but I honestly can't, because they're not that good considering your hardware. Just recently I saw a t3/t4 50 trim 1.8t over on vortex that put down 344 whp at 22 psi on 93 octane, tuned by a pro, on a mustang dyno, which is far less generous with hp readouts than the dynojet you're using.

Now before I start getting the flames, I'm not saying this to put you down. I want to see your car get to its full potential instead of having band-aid fix after band-aid fix applied to it just to get a few extra horses out of it. The potential of the ecotec is great, but it can only go so far on amateur tuning with limited tools. You're still making more power than probably 99.999% of the people on here, but it could be much much more if only you'd do it right.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The only reason adding a higher octane fuel gave you more power that fast is because you were getting detonation and your car was pulling timing to compensate for it. Once you added the higher octane (harder to burn) fuel your detonation went away and your PCM did not have to pull any timing hense the increase in power. Too bad that won't last and might even get worse on the street (but in your case you don't run that much boost on the street so it shouldn't be a concern). Without getting too far into it it will also have an effect on your PCM's fueling and spark tables (STFT, LTFT, VE table, high and low octane tables, etc.) Once that fuel is gone in the tank and you drive around for a bit your PCM will "relearn" the proper fuel trims for your setup on pump gas and it will go right back to the way it was. Now if you were to get an HPtuners (wow suggesting the other product, lol too bad DHP doesn't make anything yet for the j's). you could do up a complete bin file for when you are running the high octane fuel (dyno and track use) and one for normal everyday driving.

You have done some really great things with your setup and the numbers are impressive for sure but with a tuner it really could be so much more and you would have the ability to catch any problems before they happen and at high HP numbers that is what you want. If you don't get a tunner try this, add that high octane fuel, set your boost where you want it and then go for a half hour drive (abviously add enough to get back and on the dyno ). While your out on your drive vary the throtle, cruise a bit, roll into it, go to WOT. I would resist the erge to just stab the throtle unless you have a scanner because you might get spark knock and without a tuner you have no way to tune the AE table (lol..see how you need a tuner?). This will give your PCM a chance to "learn" the new fuel so that when you get back to the dyno you can take full advantage of it.

As for the crank case building pressure. Since you are now turbo'd and running lots of boost your stock PCV system is pretty much useless. If you don't find a way to let the built up gases excape from the block than you will, like you said start to blow out seals and have oil leaks. In fact I just had that problem after installing my IC last year and ended up blowing out two dome gaskets. Most guys just run a line from the top of the valve cover to a catch can, just make sure to put an oil separator in the line. If you are still having problems you might have to run two lines.

Good work so far and keep us updated for sure, good luck with everything.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Friday, June 09, 2006 5:45 AM
nice work man

keep it up

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Friday, June 09, 2006 6:10 AM
listening...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.
Friday, June 09, 2006 7:08 AM
why you dont invest 600ish dollars(what ever Hp tuners cost) is beyond me.

Friday, June 09, 2006 8:45 AM
Pllleaase get some serious engine management. I guarantee you'll pull the same numbers or better on 93 octane with the HP stuff.

(website under construction)
Friday, June 09, 2006 8:58 AM
I agree with what everyone else is saying!

HpT Pro on c12 with your mods would easily warrant mid/high 400's, maybe even low 500's with extra tweaks besides just fuel curves, timing, etc.

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:00 AM
As stated above - those #'s are neither good nor safe Yasmin. Look at Spyhunter, he smashed your #'s on an LD9 with less PSI... somethin is up, you've gotta know it.

Get some management goin before you hurt this engine something fierce... you're playing with fire for sure.

Good luck with it, progress is progress afterall.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, June 09, 2006 9:18 AM
Cannot help me in boost?? I don't want it quiet frankly.
Cannot run 3 Bar Map just from me spending money on it, but I have to spend money on the program and then spend some more money and headaches. Maaaaaan.

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:22 AM
BTW, who is Spyhunter?? Also, progress is progress. I always play with fire, and I know about all this guys and thanks for telling me about it, but I just don't wanna throw the money away I wanna spend it as beneficial to me and the motor as I can.
Too bad we can't just get something and be done with it, but always have to screw with such as reflashing and low aftermarket support.

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:48 AM
Also, you guys say get HPTuners but there isn't even a phone number so that I can talk to one of their people, ask a few about the specific $600 that I am spending.
600 is a lot to me and just sending it to someone that I have never talked to or heard from is kinda hard.
Mail ish takes too damn long when you can sum it all up in 5 minutes of conversation and then they can have my money.

But I have to write back and forth like 20 times until I get my questions answered if I get them answered and then you still have no clue.
I just don't understand even Cocky AEM will talk to someone about their EMS system.

Now, I bet someone is going to say they are busy. lol

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:48 AM
Suncavi,

Post the graph.
Friday, June 09, 2006 9:50 AM
yea congrats, but those numbers suck for 23 psi. i have seen those numbers out of 15 psi on a 240 with a ka24de... which in no way is a nicer engine then an eco.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/StylezTA
Friday, June 09, 2006 10:36 AM
higher than last time, but #s seem to not be right with the psi, i almost matched your 20psi # with 8psi on my car. hope you get everything figured out i want to see someone else with a j put down 400+ hp

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Friday, June 09, 2006 12:18 PM
JAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I drive past your house all the time and wonder whats brewing in your back yard. Next time i see you there ill stop by i lost your #

2001 2.2
Turbo in the Works!
Friday, June 09, 2006 12:39 PM
great numbers man. 400 is so close its scary to belive that each one of your cyl's is making 100 hp. thats just creepy.

I was waiting for the first person to sugest hpt. regardless of the fact that I belive people are having crazy amounts of trouble with the 2bar, let alone a 3bar. but what happened to the company that was going to custom make you an ecu?

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Friday, June 09, 2006 1:44 PM
hey man your setup and effort deserve props! its been cool to watch your setup grow. g/l man

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..

Friday, June 09, 2006 2:25 PM
SC am I write inbeliveing your still doing lsj bottom end eagl/wesico's and l61 head?

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Friday, June 09, 2006 5:56 PM
Nice numbers no matter what.

From what I have been told several times by the people who have done all the stuff with the GM Racing Team, the people who first started doing all the Ecotec stuff, the people who make the big horse power Ecotec engines that on the CORRECT setup, with the CORRECT size turbo and tuning, 20-24 psi of boost will give you apx 650 HP to the crank or so . . . . . .

Friday, June 09, 2006 6:33 PM
damn. those are some nice numbers. i know know what everyone does for enginem anagement and what not that people do to make 350+whp on like 15psi.

Friday, June 09, 2006 7:17 PM
10:1 a/f is what is killing you.

SunCavi_L61T3/T04E wrote:Cannot help me in boost?? I don't want it quiet frankly.
Cannot run 3 Bar Map just from me spending money on it, but I have to spend money on the program and then spend some more money and headaches. Maaaaaan.

You're misinformed.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search