Figured out my power loss issue... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Figured out my power loss issue...
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 4:20 PM
so IAN we almost had it figured out, the larger injectors removed most of the knock but not all. Wideband showed 12.0 all the time but still just died all the time around 4200 rpm. I was ready to go get new lifters and try that. Turns out the fuel pump/injectors suck more than the factory fuel canister (intank) can handle and it was draining the canister. I filled the tank to F and the problem went away.
Reason I had never noted that before is I only fill up right before hiway driving to the city, and by the time I got there it was not full anymore.

Looks like I have to run this tank of fuel, staying below 4k rpm (of course) then pull the tank and do the canister cut out mod to let the pump suck more fuel. This will also solve the below 1/4 tank issue.

would the stock pump have enough flow at factory pressure to support 250+ whp?

I give credit to seth260 aka Curt for figuring out the problem.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Re: Figured out my power loss issue...
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 9:52 PM
glad you figured it out.

personally i would upgrade the fuel pump.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:01 PM
its always the stupid things isn't it. - glad u got it squared away

my buddy had a similar problem. fuel cut for no reason, car would just shut down for no reason, went thru 3 fuel pumps, a fpr, endless sleepless nights. Many tows home. He was just about to give up when i asked to give it one more try. I dropped the tank and turns out the fuel line from the pump to the top of the canister was kinked when it was depressed all the way and would cause the problem. Fixed that and he didn'thave anymore problems until one of the pistons went thru the oil pan and side of the block...... 10 psi in 5th gear up hill with a stock block will get you every time......

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:02 PM
I have the walboro 255lph, whats better? I thought about getting the 190, it would be more than enough, oh well.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:07 PM
he had the same one

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:16 PM
didnt know you did, sorry.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:34 PM
Funny thing, I just got home from figuring out the same thing. I was running fine all day and it started cutting out every time I hit boost, put on a new fuel filter put a new ground on the fuel pump and still the same. I took datalogs but could not pin point it because I could not keep the gas pedal down while this was happening so I came home very pissed off and then it occured to me that I has more gas earlier. Went and put some gas in the tank and it was only at half at this point, filled it up and the problem was gone. weird hey!!!

Jonathan
Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:58 AM
goood times, now we have to use our fuel up and deop our tanks, I can't find the link to the picture of the fix, but it is pretty easy.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 12:47 PM
so what size injectors are u using, and is ur pcm reflashed?

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft
Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:01 PM
I am running RC 650cc injectors and the GM s/c reflash. I have a completely modified tuner and have tuned it with Hptuners, I will be going to the dyno, but I am thinking I should do my exhaust first. Idles and runs great, fuel milage is 600-700 kilometers (420-450miles) per tank, unless I boost alot.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:54 PM
still dont get how a lot of people get so much out of gas i get like 300 miles to a tank with mostly street driving with few hwy milage.

Now Powered By TEAM GREEN

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....

Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:00 AM
wow my gas mileage is like crap compared to that but i dont really drive nice. But honestly when i had my car without the turbo i got like 27mpg now im getting like 20 with my foot to the floor most of the time on half bar. I could really careless tho. whats 10 more dollars to drop and have lots of fun

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:34 AM
I struggle to get 400km/tank right now, but it's all city. I think it's fair to mention that most of Garrett's km's are highway, hence the ridiculous fuel economy, lol. I can still barely muster 600kms per tank on the hwy.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search