Log type manifolds - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Log type manifolds
Friday, April 28, 2006 11:03 AM
How came this guy can get 1000HP out of his smallblock twin turbo kits with a log type manifold? I think some people are getting hosed on tubular equal length runner manifolds. they are not really neccessary.

http://www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-products.cfm

"Are you sure your A/F ratio is correct? That hole in your Block custom?"

Re: Log type manifolds
Friday, April 28, 2006 11:41 AM
Bump!

Friday, April 28, 2006 11:57 AM
Because he's Gale Banks and the space restrictions in most small block applications require the use of log manifolds. No one is getting hosed on tubular equal length manifolds at all. If they weren't needed or useful pro teams wouldn't use them. PERIOD.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Friday, April 28, 2006 12:36 PM
I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but I think that some of the "tuned" manifolds I have seen here on the org would actually be detrimental t o high speed exhaust gas airflow. Anytime you have a radical bend in a pipe you will slow down the flow of air. Look at some of the manifolds and you will see some very agressive bends. This is worse engineering than a log style manifold! you are trying to make the flow do a 180 in there and that is bad. I bet if you could see the Exhaust header on the GM backed factory Cobalt and the cavalier, they don.t look like a bunch of mating cobras but are much straighter than what you see a lot of "tuners" are using.
Just my 2 cents.

Friday, April 28, 2006 2:17 PM
I'm not tryin' to be a jerk either, but please show me some agressive bends in some you have seen. Most people use like 90 deg bends that don't slow down air to much, unlike log manfolds where there are like 45 deg bends. Then you might think about how the flow of air in a log manifold changes as each fires. In a header type manifold each has it's own path till the end. Think about that for a little. I think you will see it in the end. Also you could also flow test them to see what you want better. I guess all of us spend to much money on our header type manifolds.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search