IAT sensor question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
IAT sensor question
Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:45 PM
Ok this may sound like a stupid noob question, but i just want a serious answer

Am I able to drill and tap the intake manifold to put the IAT sensor in the back of the manifold so you can't see it? Will it still be accurate and work correctly. I wouldn't see why not, but things like this are wierd so I thought I'd ask

Re: IAT sensor question
Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:50 PM
absolutely. anywhere its well mounted and the closer to the engine the better just make sure it wont interfear with the airflow to any individual runner. i have mine mounted just before the throttle body.

99 Turbo Sunfire GT | Ram 2500 | International Rollback | Mr Hanky the Suburban
Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:59 PM
well i was thinking in the "collector" part of it, right underneath the throttle body but on the back of the manifold..just so you can't see it

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:00 AM
I'm not sure where you want to put it, but it needs to be in front of the throttle body plate i would think.... or at least I've never seen it done that way. I guess the only difference is it sees a vacumm in there and that may throw off the temps it is reading...

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:42 AM
Okay, I have a question about this. You're saying the closer to the TB the better, and I would tend to agree since it would be a more accurate reading, but there's a thread somewhere in the library on this site that says move it farther away from the engine. And all the relocation kits you find for IATs are designed to locate the sensor where it gets cold air passing over it. So which is it?

Friday, March 17, 2006 7:09 AM
thats some ghetto crap people do to try and get the engine to dump more fuel / advance the ignition. its kinda stupid kinda like the "resistor" mod. just makes the engine think its cooler out then it really is.

99 Turbo Sunfire GT | Ram 2500 | International Rollback | Mr Hanky the Suburban
Friday, March 17, 2006 7:34 AM
It's a temperature sensor. You want to put it in a place that will get an accurate measure of the temperature of the air coming in.

If you put it in the manifold, you may be putting it in a place being heated by the block, which might not be what you want.

Incidentally... here's my page on relocating it to somewhere to get a cooler than normal reading.

http://www.wildweasel.ca/j-body/HowTo/IATSensor.asp

In short... don't do it.

Friday, March 17, 2006 8:14 AM
Here's my thought on this. Keep in mind I'm not a mechanic or an engine designer, but I've been exposed to engine tuning for a while so I have some understanding of how it all comes together. The whole idea is to keep a stoichiometric a/f ratio (perfect), be it under boost or n/a, this we all are aware. Under certain conditions a slightly rich or slightly lean mix may be appropriate, but that's really dependent on several variables. When it comes to the IAT location itself, it would make sense that GM knew what they were doing and placed the sensor in the optimal location. By optimal, keep in mind they're trying to get the best balance of efficiency and power, albeit leaned toward efficiency. However, many of us use a metal intake in place of the stock rubber one, and that in and of itself may be enough to alter the readings due to changes in air flow and possibly even heat soak. I'm not sure it would, but I can see it as a possibility. So placing it in front of the throttlebody would seemingly be a good idea since that's the point of entry into the engine, and the air temp will be read at that point. On the other hand, the air is moving through the intake at a decent rate, and the stock IAT location isn't very far from the TB. Roughly 12 inches give or take; it seems that the temperature differences in tha t short distance would be negligible at best. Also, the PCM ECU whatever you wish to call it, isn't quite working in real time. There's a lag from the time it says "this the air temp" to "this is how much fuel I need" It's possible that it's already programmed to compensate for that minute change in temperature.

Just a theory from a mad man.

Friday, March 17, 2006 10:29 AM
the 2.3's had the IAT mounted into the intake manifold behind the TB. doing the same on a 2.4 or Eco should be fine.

Friday, March 17, 2006 10:36 AM
In front of or behind the TB doesn't matter. You just want to ensure it's getting a proper reading of the temperature of the air entering the engine.

Note that on the roots blown cars, it's mounted on the boost side of the blower since the air is heated through the blower after the TB.

Friday, March 17, 2006 12:02 PM
well i will be turboing the car

the reason i want to do this is mostly aesthetic (if thats the word i'm thinking) personally i just hate that sensor right on top of the charge piping/intake...its just one of those annoying things .it just looks dumb and tacky..

this is where i was thinking to put it.

I don't see why it wouldn't work correctly, just like someone else said its after the throttle body on the 2.3l twin cams..

Friday, March 17, 2006 12:05 PM
Yeah, I expect it'll be just fine there.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 12:46 PM
looks like a good spot. it shouldn't stick up too far so shouldn't cause any air flow problems. point to take though, it presses in normally but on boosted applications its held in with a flange. be sure to do that or the thing will get boosted right out. mebbe find a god 2.3 one as the wires are the same i believe but it threads in so no chance of being blown out.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 4:22 PM
yeah i have a screw in IAT sensor that i'm going to use

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search