has anyone ever run a varaiable area turbine? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
has anyone ever run a varaiable area turbine?
Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:18 AM
for those that are in the dark its the turbo thats exhaust housing changes to produce amazing control over boost levles. I know minion was talking about it I just wondered if it was ever done.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "

Re: has anyone ever run a varaiable area turbine?
Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:49 AM
A buddy of mine has a Daytona Shelby with the VNT (Variable nozzle turbo). It's great because it's like having a smaller housing for quick spool at low rpm and a bigger housing for big boost at high rpm. I thought it was a sweet idea so we gave serious thought to boosting my Cavalier with one. We started doing the research, tracked down part numbers, etc. and hit a brick wall. Apparently the vane pitch is electronically controlled somehow and we couldn't figure out how to make it work so we gave it up.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:39 PM
bummer. yeah if the idea ever catches on, im sure that someone will make a control unit.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Friday, March 17, 2006 5:49 AM
I know Garrett has been making them for a while now. You might be able to find an aftermarket kit with the controls and everything. It's a long shot but if you really want one...

Friday, March 17, 2006 5:59 AM
I think Jcavi is talking about the ones that actually alter the angle of the vains inside the turbo

their already being used. Search on e-bay for them. You'll find them in diesels and some smaller 4-cylinder expensive vehicles.

Typically its controlled by an actuator on the turbo housing

-Chris

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:36 AM
IamRascal wrote:I think Jcavi is talking about the ones that actually alter the angle of the vains inside the turbo

their already being used. Search on e-bay for them. You'll find them in diesels and some smaller 4-cylinder expensive vehicles.

Typically its controlled by an actuator on the turbo housing

Correct. Garrett has been developing the VNTs for turbo diesels in the UK for a few years and I remember going to one of the SR20 forums and they were getting pretty popular with that crowd. I think they're the same as the VNTs that Shelby used for the Daytona and Shadow CSX. And if I remember correctly, the actuator is controlled electronically somehow but I could be wrong. I know when we were trying to figure them out to use one on the Cavalier we had a lot of unanswered questions as to how we can make it work. Maybe we were simply looking in the wrong direction.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search