turbo pics - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo pics
Tuesday, March 14, 2006 8:15 PM
Ok i searched and i couldnt really find what i was looking for. I am going to turbo my car but i wont be going with an intercooler right away. I was looking for some pictures of turbo setups without the intercooler pipes, just like the intake ones and preferably on the 2.4L engine. Thanks a lot.

tyler

Re: turbo pics
Tuesday, March 14, 2006 8:26 PM
^^^^ bad idea.....

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Tuesday, March 14, 2006 9:08 PM
for low boost its ok but if you can spring a few extra bucks its worth it to do an intercooler.
my chargepipes are all crap from the junkyard and it works just fine

Here is a pic of a non intercooled setup.

99 Turbo Sunfire GT | Ram 2500 | International Rollback | Mr Hanky the Suburban
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 1:23 PM
Well i know its a bad idea to go without a intercooler if your running high boost, but right away i will only being at low boost, and then i plan on adding a intercooler later.
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:27 PM
You might as well not even put ithe turbo on. W/O intercooler, it just doesn't do it justice. The HP difference is huge with FMIC vs no IC. My buddy ran 5 psi w/o IC and then we installed the FMIC and it was like night and day difference!Plus, it's alot safer on the motor to have one, even a SMIC off a DSM or something is better than nothing, I'd wait to boost till I got one!

Failure is not failure if you learn from it
Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:44 AM
non-intercooled boost is the worst thing you can do to these motors.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, March 16, 2006 1:27 AM
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:non-intercooled boost is the worst thing you can do to these motors.

Word

Not cooling down hot compressed air is defenitley not a good idea. You'll heat soak and probably end up overheating...if not that, you can cause internal damage from the extreme amounts of heat.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, March 16, 2006 7:55 PM
Even ghetto intercooler setups are better then none

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:02 AM
Roscoe, do you have a picture of that with the bumper on? It looks like nice, and was wondering, with some cutting, would the stock bumper fit over that. I know I'll have to cut out air openings, etc.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:11 PM
Ofcourse. it fits just fine. i notched the bumper to make proper space between the IC and the road. i didint want to sandwitch it against the radiator. thats just no good, instead i opened up the bumper just enough to meet airflow requirements and ducted it to the intercooler so that all air in has to go thru the IC core. a small opening ducted got a lot further then a full open face

You will have to excuse the jankyness of the bumper. this car isint a looker its just fast

Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:45 PM
ok well ive decided to get the fmic. I already have one being shipped to me in the mail. Thanks a lot guys. I was looking today though at my engine bay and it seems really crammed in the spot where my turbo is going to go. My car is an auto and i was wondering if i could see some turbo setups of auto 2.4l, and also if any of you guys have any tips of things i could move to free up some space and what not.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:53 PM
You're auto? Welcome to nightmare city.... so much harder to do than an auto due to space.

Skillz and Shifted have both boosted auto LD9's.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Saturday, March 18, 2006 11:23 PM
getting stuff around the auto sucks. i had to relocate a buncha crap, shifter linkage, heater line, fuel lines, had to route the oil return in a less then desireable method. not to mention the fact that i have the charge pipes run UNDER the engine instead of over. I created some new swear words during this project.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 7:25 AM
well.... I';ll show you a pic, but then show you the after math of 40k miles of driving at 8psi.

NON intercooled PIC

My upset engine

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:56 PM
Anyone out there tried a liquid intercooler? These are much more efficient than the air to air intercooler setups. I drove a GMC Typhoon that had one on it...WOW! That car had some pull. I think Vortech sells them for many different applications. All you would need is one to get the right angles and spacing.
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:12 PM
Im not 100% sure but i think painting an intercooler is a no no. i remember a mech in japan telling me it takes some of the cooling properties away from the raw aluminum. the paint doesnt allow it to dissipate the heat as well.
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:22 PM
3D-99Z wrote:Anyone out there tried a liquid intercooler? These are much more efficient than the air to air intercooler setups. I drove a GMC Typhoon that had one on it...WOW! That car had some pull. I think Vortech sells them for many different applications. All you would need is one to get the right angles and spacing.

Well I believe you need to have some type of control unit to know when to apply more liquid. The vehicles you see it on probably have it from factory and the computer controls how much it cools it.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:34 PM
i hit it from a 45 degree angle so that the paint didint go back in the fins more then about 5 mm. it does not affect the cooling whatsoever. the paint on the front of the "bars" means dick. it just hides the intercooler well and makes it look like any other beat up POS sunfire around town.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:03 PM
NJHK (The Turbo Negro) wrote:
3D-99Z wrote:Anyone out there tried a liquid intercooler? These are much more efficient than the air to air intercooler setups. I drove a GMC Typhoon that had one on it...WOW! That car had some pull. I think Vortech sells them for many different applications. All you would need is one to get the right angles and spacing.

Well I believe you need to have some type of control unit to know when to apply more liquid. The vehicles you see it on probably have it from factory and the computer controls how much it cools it.

No, you can do a couple of things. One would be to set up a solinoid that would activate the pump at a certain temp..like your radiator fan. Or you could just set the pump to constatly stay on when the car is running. Nothing wrong with having your charge air at its coolest..that's the idea. check this out
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:05 PM
3D-99Z wrote:
NJHK (The Turbo Negro) wrote:

No, you can do a couple of things. One would be to set up a solinoid that would activate the pump at a certain temp..like your radiator fan. Or you could just set the pump to constatly stay on when the car is running. Nothing wrong with having your charge air at its coolest..that's the idea. check this out

I guess that sounds logical.

Friday, March 24, 2006 10:37 AM
that is some cool sh*t

Friday, March 24, 2006 10:58 AM
To do a liquid setup, don't you need a second resivour and pump assembly? I thought you would, since it would be colder than the radiator fluid which is around 200*F.

Failure is not failure if you learn from it
Friday, March 24, 2006 11:49 AM
Spearco sells A2W intercooler rigs like the ones youre discussing. VERY efficient, a few extra costs over the traditional IC setup, but NITE AND DAY differences as far as gains and efficiency over A2A IC's
Friday, March 24, 2006 12:01 PM
I have my IC painted FLAT ASS black. That's my exact term for the paint color I wanted when I went into the store. THe ENTIRE IC is coated in it and it hasn't shown a huge difference in power output from mine to any of the other HRC Eco cars. In fact mine makes more power at certain boosts levels, and runs faster than any other Hahn equipped car, even with it painted. I think the shear size of the IC compensates for the paint just fine.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, March 25, 2006 1:58 PM
02turbo wrote:To do a liquid setup, don't you need a second resivour and pump assembly? I thought you would, since it would be colder than the radiator fluid which is around 200*F.

Yes, a liquid i/c setup does require an additional radiator (small) and its own electric pump and resivour. It would be no more complex than installing an air to air i/c. Just running water hose & wires instead of a lot of air charge piping.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search