'00 2.4l w/ 086 head - manifold question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'00 2.4l w/ 086 head - manifold question
Monday, February 13, 2006 10:42 PM
I bought a log mani for my '00 2.4, then decided to get the 086 head and I'm wodering if the bolt pattern is the same for the two heads on the exhaust side. I know the ports dont match but that can be fixed. any help would be great.

Re: '00 2.4l w/ 086 head - manifold question
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 1:38 AM
I don't know the answer but if it doesn't fit you could always try and buy a flange that fits that head and have someone make a manifold from there. Even though it's kind of a blind way of making manifold cause it's not test fitted on a car, you're not left with many options.

I've read your other posts and I still say you should port your 2.4 cylinder head instead of trying to mess with a 086 cylinder head and boosting it.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 3:02 AM
the 086 head ups your compression like none other, you're honestly better off with the LD9 head, porting it. if you choose to keep the 086 head, tune for boost, and get lower compression pistons, then you should use a turbo mani for the 2.3

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 4:00 AM
Do the head swap, you'll LOVE IT. You have to lay down a headgasket and match up the water jackets with a grinder and you will also need to use a stock 2.3 h/o exhaust manifold. There is not an aftermarket one available that works with the J-body platform and don't try one from another platform with the 2.3 engine as it will not come close to your downpipe. The head flange is VERY different on teh exhaust side. Don't worry though because the stock manifold flows really well. This swap will also bump up your compression to 11.4:1 (IIRC) so make sure that you use nothing but the absolute highest octane gas you can get.
All your stock timing accessories should work with the new head but I am unsire whether or not you can use the H.O cams. Last I heard the valves would hit the pistons but I am unsure if anybody has tried this. At minimum you should be able to use the secret cams.

If you run a search in the performance forum you should be able to find a lot of information and a few people that have done the swap. This used to be a really hot topic but now I'm unsure because I haven't been in that forum for a while.

If you plan on boosting with this head you are going to need to drop the compression waaaay down so custom pistons will be needed.

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:53 PM
To answer the original question, you'll need a turbo manifold made for a 2.3, the 2.4 head has a completely different flange.

There was a guy in J-BOM with a a 086 head on a 2.4 and turbocharged. He claimed to have HO cams and 9:1 dished (2.4) pistons. The car made insane power, in the neighborhood of 350whp on 11psi but its now parted out.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search