Screen Air Filter For Turbos - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Screen Air Filter For Turbos
Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:40 PM
In a few car videos (cars with turbos, duh ) I have seen some people that have like a cap on their inlet that has a screen on it...

the best way to describe it would be like a dryer vent kind of thing, but metal with a screen filter on the end, so it slides on the inlet but then you would screw a screw like a clamp to tighten the metal cap down with the screen filter...

has anyone seen these? I have seen a few but cannot find where to buy them..

I first saw it in a japanese video with a bunch of high powered road cars with an austrailian guy narrating and since then gave up looking but now want to find one.. thanks!

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Re: Screen Air Filter For Turbos
Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:12 PM
A lot of people put simple window screen, mesh, etc over thier turbo's. there are two reasons.

1. They think it will outflow an air filter
2. they don't have the room for an air filter.

Neither are a good excuse for not running a filter. A good quality compressed cotton and mesh filter like a K&N will outflow a screen by far simply due to it's larger surface area. It's also better at filtering out tinny particulants. A few grains of sand can chip or damage a compressor wheel. Larger turbos are more solid and less likely to damage, but, it doesn't take much to kill a turbo when they're spinning at 130,000 + RPM's.

As for not having enough room.. that's bad engineering to start or a stupidly small engine bay.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 11:59 PM
why would you do this? the tiny stuff that goes into your engine is going to score the @!#$ out of your cylender walls and you will be buring oil in no time...
you have a 2.2L right? if so you definatly have no reason not to put a filter on there... you wont gain any thing from a screen... put the filter on and be safe... if i can fit a 3" tube with a filter on my 2.4L you can work it on your 2.2L

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Monday, February 13, 2006 1:52 AM
Bring it over phil, we'll make an intake!

Cardomain|Myspace

Monday, February 13, 2006 8:35 AM
Protonus wrote:A lot of people put simple window screen, mesh, etc over thier turbo's. there are two reasons.

1. They think it will outflow an air filter
2. they don't have the room for an air filter.

Neither are a good excuse for not running a filter. A good quality compressed cotton and mesh filter like a K&N will outflow a screen by far simply due to it's larger surface area. It's also better at filtering out tinny particulants. A few grains of sand can chip or damage a compressor wheel. Larger turbos are more solid and less likely to damage, but, it doesn't take much to kill a turbo when they're spinning at 130,000 + RPM's.

As for not having enough room.. that's bad engineering to start or a stupidly small engine bay.

it is just temporary until we have a little while to fit a filter on there.. the silicone 90 degree elbow is getting stuck on a bolt off that coolant tube on the back of my motor at the passenger side of the motor... we need to trim the silicone and we both work and I need to drive it, I thought the screen was better then notihng

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search