8.5:1ish compression + boost???????? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
8.5:1ish compression + boost????????
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:28 AM
well i know theres a lot of work to making big power in our 99 cavy's...once i get out of school i want all the parts sitting in front of me to be done.....15psi in a 2.4 how hard is a tune or in general (i know axles and all the wonderful internals)???? i just want to order some things for now...right now im currently runnin 9psi....but this is a deff im doing it just want input on difficulties....

speed kills, drive slow, drive a honda

You are what you Drive!

Re: 8.5:1ish compression + boost????????
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:59 AM
well... without knowing too much about your engine or how strong your internals are and without you mentioning the turbo you have. i'd say if you haven't already get low compression pistons. i'd recommend 9:1. that should be fine for boosting. connecting rods can't hurt either but than again i don't know how strong yours are. if you have an auto i'd suggest a tranny cooler to keep those transmission temperatures down. if you have a stick obviously you're going to need a heavy duty clutch. what are you using to tune? make sure you have a wide band because tuning on a narrow is very difficult. you're going to need a bigger exhaust. 2.5" or larger. the axles on my car are good to 400whp so i would think yours are fine. did i help at all?

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:22 PM
well i didnt clearify i dont think.....i have a wide band, finishin my 3" exhaust up, FMU with safc-2...as far as axles i hear ill need them at like 350ish i have a clutch now but i just really am worried about a tune at 15psi and what compression i should run...also ignition...like i said i wanna start buyin

You are what you Drive!
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:43 PM
i'd stick with 9:1 compression forged internals, and megasquirt to tune. the SAFC will not do you justice.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 10:38 AM
megasquirt is it hard to install and piece together or is it sold as a unit cuz that site was confusing...also 9:1 good for 13-14psi on a T3 .43/.60 or safe to go alil more? im really serious for the 300+ hp range so i need as much advice and help i can get...not sayin it like everyone does and doesnt go through ill order the pistons and stuff tonight....as far as other small things wat else will be needed (oil pump??? ETC) thanx

You are what you Drive!
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:46 PM
you will have no problem making over 300 hp with 14 psi at 9:1. As long as you understand that you need at least 91 octane fuel. The Megasquirt is difficult to install, but the same goes for any standalone. Piecing one together is tricky. However, DIY Auto Tune sells preassembled Megasquirt 2 kits ready to be installed for just over $400, which is a VERY good deal.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 5:47 PM
yea i run 93 as it as now at 9psi but is there anything else i can do besides megasquirt...and when you say hard to install how hard do you mean...with directions is it easy or what? and as far as 300+hp what little things will i need to support this besides rods and pistons, i also wanna do a solid decking (and i kno i need injectors)i also dont wanna over buy if its really somethin i dont need...sorry this is so choppy its just i have a few things i need cleared up...one more thing too

You are what you Drive!
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:50 PM
5SPD Z wrote:yea i run 93 as it as now at 9psi but is there anything else i can do besides megasquirt...and when you say hard to install how hard do you mean...with directions is it easy or what? and as far as 300+hp what little things will i need to support this besides rods and pistons, i also wanna do a solid decking (and i kno i need injectors)i also dont wanna over buy if its really somethin i dont need...sorry this is so choppy its just i have a few things i need cleared up...one more thing too

The installation is just lots of splicing, wiring, it's what happens when you want full control with standalone. Rods and pistons, probably want to invest in a PnP for your head if you don't have that. You will also get a nice gain from secret cams if you don't have those yet either. But then we're back to LD9 building basics. I'd invest also in doing the 2.3 HO oil pump conversion. That'll take machine work as well.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:05 AM
splicing and wiring is fine with me as long as theres directions or a site that tells me exactly wat to do with it for the J's...and as far as the oil pump goes is it 100% essential or just a if you really wanted to...not your cars gonna go boom if you dont have it? and as far as a PNP head i kind of want a fully built head with PNP..oversize valves, springs, etc..thanx

You are what you Drive!
Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:51 AM
yea so im a UTI student and i talked to one of my teachers who is crazy into superstreet stuff....he has a 2.5RS subaru thats sponsered but neways....i asked him what he thought of mega squirt and he said highly recommended so im def going for it...my next Question along with the few i asked previous is how hard is this install cuz imma get the fully assembled even though its alil more $$$....

You are what you Drive!
Thursday, January 26, 2006 1:38 PM
the installation is not that bad. just make sure you have a PCM pin-out and electrical diagrams of your car. also go to http://www.megasquirt.info and click on Installation down under Megasquirt-II

Friday, January 27, 2006 3:05 AM
ok would the wires the megasquirt goes into be the same as my SAFC-2???? off the top of my head i dont really remember my install

would you recommend a built head with PNP or no?
440cc+15psi=yah or nah

You are what you Drive!
Friday, January 27, 2006 9:18 AM
another question i had today while sittin in class was what about ignition and timing @15psi cuz at 9 i have minor minor break up...sorry for all the ?'s

You are what you Drive!
Friday, January 27, 2006 10:42 AM
You do want your ignition retarded moderately heavy in WOT at full boost. You should adjust for a 11.5:1 AFR in full boost, pull your timing, then readjust for AFR again. You better have a wideband also.

Friday, January 27, 2006 7:07 PM
yea i have a wideband thank god....what can i use for doing this tho? mega squirt can do that or i need some kind of MSD and all that bull?

You are what you Drive!
Friday, January 27, 2006 10:08 PM
carl, i talked to rob tonight. message me sometime. i'll help you out

oh and your gonna need the spark add on to adjust timing

Blew it up
Friday, January 27, 2006 10:08 PM
carl, i talked to rob tonight. message me sometime. i'll help you out

Blew it up
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search