Opinions on my new sub - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Opinions on my new sub
Saturday, April 02, 2005 9:16 PM
That's right, I'm back. I ran out of posts, but the month is new. More BS from me. I'm getting a new sub and a new amp, just thought I'd see what you guys think about my upcoming purchase.
1 MTX T8512-44 MSRP=$449.95
12" thunder sub, DVC (4 ohm per coil)
500 W rms
1 MTX MXA6001 MSRP=$399.95
Class D amp
600 W rms (I'll turn the gains down to match my sub)

I get both for a combined total of 272.83, shipping included. I'm replacing a 10" Infinity Reference DVC, rated to 250 rms powered by an MTX 311D, which is 200 rms

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."

Re: Opinions on my new sub
Saturday, April 02, 2005 10:08 PM
eh, i would have upgraded to a better Infinity.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.

Cannon fodder is my daddy.
Sunday, April 03, 2005 3:29 AM
GAINS ARE NOT MEANT TO CONTROL POWER OUTPUT

i learned the hard way, please please please learn from my mistake

Sunday, April 03, 2005 7:00 AM
I agree with the gain comment. Best way is to get an amp that really puts out the power your needing to hit on that particular sub. then you don't have to worry about it blowing the things.
Sunday, April 03, 2005 4:50 PM
I'll take that into consideration. About the infinity subs, I can get a kappa perfect for very cheap, but just about everyone I've talked to says they're great...while they last. It seems they have a problem with blowing out quickly.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
Sunday, April 03, 2005 5:01 PM
but wait... I know that gains aren't meant to control output, but it should do the trick just the same anyway, right? If the gain is down, the volume is down, which means that the sub isn't getting as much power....right? I don't like to pound the crap out of my sub all the time anyway, its usually just a slightly stronger than usual bass fill, except when I'm feeling like some thump.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
Monday, April 04, 2005 3:11 PM
Bloodspiller wrote:but wait... I know that gains aren't meant to control output, but it should do the trick just the same anyway, right? If the gain is down, the volume is down, which means that the sub isn't getting as much power....right? I don't like to pound the crap out of my sub all the time anyway, its usually just a slightly stronger than usual bass fill, except when I'm feeling like some thump.

first off infinity subs will generally last as long as u keep good care of it. if u take care of your speakers you shouldn't have issued with blowing them.

now on to a gain. okay i agree that turning the gain down theoretically lowers the volume. BUT and this is the hugest but of them all. depending on your headunits voltage output will determine where your amp reaches maximimum output. for instance. gain on full blast gives u 600 watts right so gain on half would give u 300 watts right? wrong, if your headunit has say a 4 volt output, u may reach maximum power (600) watts when your gain is only at halfway. because the gain is a device used to match the levels of your headunits output. now if you had a 2 volt output you may not reach the full 600 watts till u get to 3/4 gain. the higher your voltage output the lower youlle need to turn the gain up to reach maximum power. so you can't just hook an amp up and turn the gain to halfway and think your getting half the power.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, April 04, 2005 10:07 PM
I know that, I've got 4V outputs, so I'm gonna have the gain way down. I always tune my subs and speakers to the point just below distortion at about 80% HU volume, so I know I'll be fine listening at my usual 10-25% setting. Jason, you wanna tell me if this is safe?

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:02 AM
i agree with upgrading to a better infinity. maybe a perfect 12.1 kappa?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search