Distro block question - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Distro block question
Saturday, April 02, 2005 2:40 AM
OK, I just received my Pioneer Premier DEH-P8MP deck and installing it today. Since I've upgraded every bit of sound equipment in my car so far, the only thing I've got left is to amp my components. Now I've already shopped a few amps out so I don't need help there (though suggestions are always welcome). But my main question is distribution blocks. I've never had a system of this capacity before, so I've got a few questions. From what I understand I need a fused block. The local shop here has all his fused blocks for ~ $20.

I've already got 4 gauge wire going to my sub amp (375 @ 4 ohm x 2) and going to get a two channel amp that is approximately 70-75 wRMS @ 4 ohm. The shop has a 0/1 gauge to (2) 4 guage block and a 4 gauge to (2) 8 gauge block. I was thinking the 0/1 to 4 block is what I needed to get. But I was searching on www.darvex.com and I found this
It's a 4 gauge Tee block, but it doesn't appear to be fused. Would it be safe to run a short 4 gauge wire to the tee block, then fuse the 2 wires going to the amps? Or should I fuse a wire, go into the block, then fuse the 2 wires coming out? Or just stick with the original idea of the 0/1 to (2) 4 gauge block? Or am I completely missing the point?

Re: Distro block question
Saturday, April 02, 2005 4:41 AM
that T block will get the job done for you. i use one for the positive, and another for the ground.

Beat it like it owes you money
Saturday, April 02, 2005 11:16 AM
OK, what about fusing?

Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:34 PM
I fues all my power wires. You should have a fuse within two feet of the battery also. I would say just get a fused distrobution block. They aren't too expensive. For what you're running, you don't really need 0/1 gauge wire. Shop around, it shouldn't be hard to find a block with 4 gauge input and outputs. I'm pretty sure Circuit City or Best Buy will have something.

I wouldn't use another block to combine grounds. Doing this is a good way to bring some noise into your system. You're best bet is to run seperate grounds from each amp to the same spot.

Hope all this helps you.

-Chris
Saturday, April 02, 2005 9:42 PM
2 feet is way to far for a battery fuse. Get it as close as possible, but no more than 8" if there's any way you can avoid it.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."
Saturday, April 02, 2005 9:51 PM
For the amount of power you are running, you'll be fine running the current 4 awg wire, and using a distrobution block and running 8 awg to each of your amps. You need a fuse everytime you switch wire size. I

Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:17 PM
Quote:

I wouldn't use another block to combine grounds. Doing this is a good way to bring some noise into your system. You're best bet is to run seperate grounds from each amp to the same spot.

umm actually, it is preferred to have everything grounded at the same spot...provided it is a good ground to begin with. the purpose of having a single ground is to prevent a ground loop.

Lookin' Stock - For Now!
Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:37 PM
Craig Allan wrote:
Quote:

umm actually, it is preferred to have everything grounded at the same spot...provided it is a good ground to begin with. the purpose of having a single ground is to prevent a ground loop.

not if you are using any kind of processors or crossovers. need to ground that sort of stuff away from the amps. Grounding it with the amps isn't good, because of noise problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Monday, April 04, 2005 3:02 PM
wysiwyg wrote:
Craig Allan wrote:
Quote:

not if you are using any kind of processors or crossovers. need to ground that sort of stuff away from the amps. Grounding it with the amps isn't good, because of noise problems.

really it varies per the install. ive had totally quiet systems ran both ways. theres nothing wrong with using a block for your grounds. there isnt much diffrence in running say 4 grounds to the battery then there is running4 short grounds to a block then a thicker wire to the grounding point.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, April 04, 2005 5:54 PM
well in most of my experiences....grounding say a processor right with the amp tends to be a major cause of noise induced problems....of course it's not always the case..but better safe then sorry no?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 6:28 AM
only time ive had the issue is with audio control processors, and they are just finikky when it comes to that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search