calculate cubic feet - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
calculate cubic feet
Friday, April 01, 2005 7:24 AM
I want to know how to know how to measure qb ft for biberglass enclosures that arnt square. Im kinda stupid about this stuff!

Re: calculate cubic feet
Friday, April 01, 2005 8:55 AM
you have to fill it with something...the measure.

for example. fill it with water, or packing peanuts. then empty it and measure how much stuff it took to fill it. then convert it to cubic ft.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Friday, April 01, 2005 11:16 AM
what the hell are you talking about????? You gotta fill it with something?????

No.... It is all math. I hope you passed in class.
Print this out and fill in your measurements.

(Height) (Width) (depth)= Volume (in inches)
(Height) in inches Minus the wood=
(Width) in inches Minus the wood=
(Depth) in inches= (Top)+(Bottom) /2
(Top) in inches minus the wood=
(Bottom) in inches minus the wood=
(Top)+(Bottom)= ***
Now take what you filled in and plug your numbers in here
(Height)x(Width)x(Depth***)=
(Your answer) /1728= Your cubic air space

1728 is equil to a cubic foot.

let me know if you are comfused or lost

Friday, April 01, 2005 11:26 AM
^it's not square though

the easiest way i can think of would be either filling with water (like above) or actually putting the enclosure into water and measuring how much it displaces

Friday, April 01, 2005 12:03 PM
ooo shoot, damn, I can read..... Wow...

Friday, April 01, 2005 12:55 PM
i passed math class..i hope you passed reading.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Friday, April 01, 2005 1:17 PM
lol @!#$ idiot....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Friday, April 01, 2005 2:27 PM
wysiwyg wrote:i passed math class..i hope you passed reading.

Mike Roth
The system has arrived.
Friday, April 01, 2005 4:05 PM
Viper98912 wrote:lol @!#$ idiot....

naahhh..i'm the idiot!! lmfao!!

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Friday, April 01, 2005 10:29 PM
I think what he was asking is when you are designing the box before you actually build the damn thing. If the box is going to be an odd shape how do you figure out the airspace. Not trying to be a dick but everything that you guys have posted so far is something that you would do after the box is done to find the airspace. By the way I have passed math class to, currently in my 4th and last semester of calc at UW Madison, thank God. If you know what shape you want the box or a rough shape you could figure out the equation for the cros section of the shape and integrate to find a volume. Damnit, I can't believe that that stuff might actually be useful in real life, LOL. There are also certain CAD systems that you could draw it in and then ask it for the volume and you could just change dimensions untill you get close to the volume you want. Sorry if I offended anyone with any comments about previous posts or anything. Blame it on the alcohal speeking.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 4:29 AM
^ yes he could, doin either a double or triple integral, or even by crunching out some numbers and using a single. the problem here though is that he doesn't have the EQUATION, which unless, you're a genius at this point, is not easy to figure out

the best recommendation i can give to you is to do a paper drawing of what you expect your enclosure to look like, and then break it down into squares are triangles. so get out the old ruler and protractor (or if you're smart, the sines and cosines) and try to get a rough estimate of what it should be.

oh and tyler, i'm on my 6th year of calc, i seriously think this @!#$ becomes more bull@!#$ as you learn more abstract crap.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:22 AM
if it's a sealed box (which i'm sure it is) you don't have to be exact with the airspace...they give you a range of like a cube either way when they give their specs...so as long as it's close, it'll be fine.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Saturday, April 02, 2005 8:09 PM
WOW, he's not building a rocket ship. I would go with the packing peanuts. Just try not to pack them down when you fill the box or when your measuring the volume. I would fiberglass the back of the enclosure making it bigger than you know you will need. Then fill with the amount that you need, say 1 cubic foot of peanuts. Level them off and mark the level. then trim off what you don't need. A good idea if you have some tight spaces that you need the peanuts to get into is to cut them in half that way they will pack in tighter. I don't know about the rest of you but doing math hurts my head. ha ha.
Sunday, April 03, 2005 6:58 AM
the best way to do this is to build the box first then build it big that way if you have too much air space inside the box, you can just fill it with something to remove the air space until you get the amount you need for you sub. its not all that complicated. I have build a number of these and it works very well. and usually you can guess at it and get it pretty close.

Also, this might help. after you build your frame and stretch your material over it put the packing peanuts in then. that way you can make adjustment before you have it final. that might help a lot. I have heard to get a better reading still on your sf you could use something smaller than packing peanuts. I heard a guy say once he use beans that he bought in bulk at Sam's club. that would probably work good. just take a whole lot of beans and could get pretty expensive on a large box. But hell, look on the bright side. you would have enough beans to be farting till your in your 80's. LOL
Sunday, April 03, 2005 5:48 PM
just have to determine the shapes you have and figure the space for each.

Like the standard slant front boxes you see every day, you have a square/rectangle and a triangle. Find the volume for each shap, and add them.

Sig removed because some people cry too much.
</a>Scott Heflin, President Team Forward Motion <a href="http://www.teamforwardmotion.com" target="_blank">TFM </a>
Monday, April 04, 2005 3:05 PM
build bigger then you need and fill in as nessicary.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search