high powered sound system and hearing loss - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
high powered sound system and hearing loss
Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:48 PM
now that i am running over 2500w rms i started to watch volume levels and think about hearing..
i find that with my system listening to it longer than half an hour at just 60-70% volume hurts my hearing, sometimes for days
so my question is to those that have 2000w rms + systems how loud do you play it and for long and do you experience any ear discomfort as a result?

Re: high powered sound system and hearing loss
Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:05 PM
if it hurts turn it down its that simple
Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:22 PM
what i do is i use portable dB meter, and the spl level rarely exceeds 95-100 dB for highs (for lows could be a lot more)..
Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:33 PM
The most dangerous freqs are those contained in human speech ie your mids.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:57 PM
You play like that on the daily?

Gross.
I can understand competing (well not really, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) but I can't understand why someone would want skullshaking bass in their car on a daily basis.

I keep it under 120.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:57 PM
Back in the days of high school (not that long ago for me) I had one of the loudest systems around.I would pull into the parking lot pounding my Young Jeezy each day thinking I was just the coolest. Now 4 years later I have my annual hearing test for work and the administrator is astounded how a 22 year old can have a score of 40 in my left ear and 44 in my right ear. A score of 35 is a fail. On the bright side, I think I'm going to start investing in companies that make hearing aids. 20 years from now I will be so rich I wont need to listen to anyone.
Friday, November 12, 2010 2:20 AM
WHAT?!?!?!?

LOL

Sorry. I had to.

Being in the manufacturing industry as long as I have I've heard it time and time again.... Damn OSHA standards...

85dB for 8 hours requires ear plugs.

You're going to progressively lose your hearing as you age, regardless of what sound levels you've been exposed to throughout your life. All you're doing is speeding up the inevitable.

Here's a breakdown of what the threshold is, FWIW

Recommended maximum allowable exposure times are:

16 hours for 80 dBA sound
8 hours for 85 dBA sound
4 hours for 90 dBA sound
2 hours for 95 dBA sound
1 hour for 100 dBA sound
30 min for 105 dBA sound
15 min for 110 dBA sound
7.5 min for 115 dBA sound
0 min for above 115 dBA sound (there should
be no exposure at
this level!)

***Brand New In the Box Pioneer GM-D8500M For Sale***
Friday, November 12, 2010 5:27 AM
You're going to progressively lose your hearing as you age, regardless of what sound levels you've been exposed to throughout your life. All you're doing is speeding up the inevitable.

that is somewhat true, but when im old id still prefer to say what and have my grandkids to repeat something then to not be able to hear it at all.

to the originol poster, at that level your doing permanent damage to your hearing that you won't get back, hearing loss is kinda like growing. you look at yourself every single day so you dont really notice your body getting bigger, hearing loss is the same way, its not something you notice until its to late.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, November 12, 2010 6:06 AM
Slightly off topic, but it was brought up: we also have annual hearing tests and they say 0-20 is normal human hearing, I've been in this plant for a year, and been doing car audio installs for years, and even used to be a young punk blasting my music... Left ear: 8. Right ear: 5. Passed with flying colors

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Friday, November 12, 2010 6:19 AM
I have no hearing issues, 145-148's daily for the past 2 years or so, i listen to this everymourning and everynightto and from work. and onlong trips blasting for an hour or so. i have seen no hearing loss. i think what everyone is confusing is the relation between frequencies. higher pitch sounds, like at a factory will destroy your hearing the way they say. but in a car, under say 80 hz at a loud volume IMO will not damage your hearing the way they say. there is a difference, i mean 130 db at 1000hz compared to 130 at 40 hz there is a huge difference in what it sounds like...

click sig for my car audio videos
Friday, November 12, 2010 9:02 AM
My hearing is BETTER than it used to be. 140+ everyday for a year and a half.

Friday, November 12, 2010 9:21 AM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:I have no hearing issues, 145-148's daily for the past 2 years or so, i listen to this everymourning and everynightto and from work. and onlong trips blasting for an hour or so. i have seen no hearing loss. i think what everyone is confusing is the relation between frequencies. higher pitch sounds, like at a factory will destroy your hearing the way they say. but in a car, under say 80 hz at a loud volume IMO will not damage your hearing the way they say. there is a difference, i mean 130 db at 1000hz compared to 130 at 40 hz there is a huge difference in what it sounds like...

Are you a doctor?

Friday, November 12, 2010 9:28 AM
bradsk88 wrote:
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:I have no hearing issues, 145-148's daily for the past 2 years or so, i listen to this everymourning and everynightto and from work. and onlong trips blasting for an hour or so. i have seen no hearing loss. i think what everyone is confusing is the relation between frequencies. higher pitch sounds, like at a factory will destroy your hearing the way they say. but in a car, under say 80 hz at a loud volume IMO will not damage your hearing the way they say. there is a difference, i mean 130 db at 1000hz compared to 130 at 40 hz there is a huge difference in what it sounds like...

Are you a doctor?

No but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Edit: I @!#$ that quote up some how.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 12, 2010 1:00 PM

Friday, November 12, 2010 11:30 AM
ever left your car and have yoru ears ringing? thats permanent damage. have you ever looked in the mirror and seen yourself actually growing before your eyes? no because its a slow gradual process. you can't see yourself grow, just as you don't notice hearing loss until its too late.

if you truly care about music you'd think protecting your ears would be the most important thing to you because without hearing there is no music.

anton. how much knowledge do you have to base this off of other then your opinion because you don't think your have hearing loss?

jlaudio. what was your hearing level before that year? were you tested? if you werent tested before hand then you dont have any basis as to wether your hearing got worse or not. just because your still in good range doesnt mean your hearing didnt raise up a point or two from the previous year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, November 12, 2010 4:07 PM
Also, don't confuse your awareness of sounds as your hearing is improving. As we get a little older (mid to late twenties) your brain becomes more alert based on experience. You start to become familiar with more and more different types of sounds everyday.

Plus you have to realize, your ears are connected to your nasal cavities. Any obstruction caused by allergies, sinus irritation, excess fluid in your inner ear, ambient air pressure, etc. can all effect your hearing. Tests results could range from week to week.

***Brand New In the Box Pioneer GM-D8500M For Sale***
Friday, November 12, 2010 4:33 PM
What? You say something there sonny?

Friday, November 12, 2010 6:44 PM
my ears ring 24-7. done it ever since front row lamb of god. the highs will kill your hearing a lot quicker than any low lows

Get Loud or Die Trying
Friday, November 12, 2010 7:57 PM
sure highs at the same level will do more damage then lows. but at the levels most guys are hitting 140+ and up on allot of stereos the lows are still doing damage.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 9:51 AM
sndsgood wrote:ever left your car and have yoru ears ringing? thats permanent damage. have you ever looked in the mirror and seen yourself actually growing before your eyes? no because its a slow gradual process. you can't see yourself grow, just as you don't notice hearing loss until its too late.

if you truly care about music you'd think protecting your ears would be the most important thing to you because without hearing there is no music.

anton. how much knowledge do you have to base this off of other then your opinion because you don't think your have hearing loss?

jlaudio. what was your hearing level before that year? were you tested? if you werent tested before hand then you dont have any basis as to wether your hearing got worse or not. just because your still in good range doesnt mean your hearing didnt raise up a point or two from the previous year.

Actually, this is the first real hearing test I've had. I wasn't saying I improved or dropped, simply stating that I'm in good range right now. I also wear expensive ass hearing protection at work all day, like a smart person. I don't care what the frequency, I'm not going to play doctor and pretend I know what I'm talking about when GUESSING or ASSUMING that loud noises(at any frequency) aren't damaging my ears because I seem to hear fine,.... people like that are naive @!#$ morons...Oh... sorry Anton.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:47 AM
i wasnt implying that you were wrong JL, just that if you don't have a basis to go off of. where your hearing is at now is kinda moot. i mean its great to know your hearing is fine. but hard to know wether there has been hearing loss or not without having one done before you got into audio. was mearly pointing that for anyone who would just go get a hearing test and go. okay my hearing is still fine and ive had this loud booming system for a year now so it must not be effecting me at all. could be totally wrong.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:56 AM
well, i pretty much always have my radio cranked in every car im in so im assuming i have hearing loss and prolly will be really bad off when i get older.

but hey, this is 2010... when were older maybe they'll have some new technology that fixes hearing loss as easy as lasic vision correction! bahahahahaha

(one can only hope)

but seriously, ive known for years i need to turn mine down, i just cant do it. i like loud music, end of story.

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing

Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:53 PM
Lamb of God sounds like @!#$ turned down low

Get Loud or Die Trying
Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:22 PM
d wilkes wrote:Lamb of God sounds like @!#$ turned down low

I agree. Thats what Im listening to now. NEEDS TO BE BRUTAL!

Sunday, November 14, 2010 5:30 PM
i am missing almost 30DB of hearing in both my ears from 250hz and lower due to excessively loud music from headphones in high and no due to loud volumes of bass in the car stereo, and yes i had my ears tested by an audiologist.

so in short yes loud volume no matter the frequency will damage your hearing.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 5:37 PM
d wilkes wrote:my ears ring 24-7. done it ever since front row lamb of god. the highs will kill your hearing a lot quicker than any low lows

if you have a ring in your ears 24/7 you have tinnitus in your ears, it can be genetic of can be due to excessive loud volumes for long periods of time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

I have it, it was passed down to me from my mother. If you don't take care of your hearing it will get worse over time and there have been cases that people have actually killed them selves because it was so loud that they just couldn't handle it anymore. (this is what the audiologist told me while getting my ears tested,)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search