Question for the amp wizards - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question for the amp wizards
Monday, June 18, 2007 2:08 PM
ok guys. i've had my amplifier for about 3 years. its a pioneer model 7100M. i recently took my amplifier and subs out of my truck so that i could demo a cheap system that a buddy wanted to buy. when i was putting my amp/subs back in, i had a brain fart and connected positive/negative backwards. big spark, both fuses popped. i replaced the fuses and now the amplifier still works, but barely. the sub still vibrates so i know the amp is alive, but the subwoofer puts out a really low volume, hollow sound. i asked a buddy about it and he said to take the amp apart, follow the burn line and it'll probably lead to a chip that MAY be replaceable. i took the amp apart...no burn line. any idea how bad i screwed up my amplifier? i'd hate (by I--i mean my wife) to have to buy a new amp with a baby on the way...so i'm hoping i can fix it. thanks for any help.

GO PATS!!!

Re: Question for the amp wizards
Monday, June 18, 2007 5:49 PM
does it have a sound when you switch through the tracks on the cd. Like when you push the button, the bass hits?

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:08 PM
doesnt have any sound unless its on a song. its just barely noticeable. only reason i really noticed it was because i could feel the woofer vibrating on my hand. don't get a whole lot of bass out of it unless the headunit bass is all the way up and the radio is LOUD.

GO PATS!!!
Monday, June 18, 2007 7:30 PM
you have a fired amp. Might not have blow a chip but there are caps, resistors, diodes, and possibly a mosfet (sp) that you may have fired.

Still you could fix it, if you find out what in fact got toasted.
Monday, June 18, 2007 7:39 PM
CrAzY Z24 wrote:does it have a sound when you switch through the tracks on the cd. Like when you push the button, the bass hits?

my system does that. what does it mean if it does that? it even does it when i turn the car off. but the amp pushes out good sound.

click sig for my car audio videos
Monday, June 18, 2007 8:55 PM
the amp is done...sorry to say if you want a new amp your gonna have to hide it from your wife
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:44 AM
well damn. alright thanks guys

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:37 AM
I'm gonna say its in the power supply circuits. could be a million different things though. know of any electronics geeks in your area?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:00 AM
not really. i have a guy on another chatboard who says he can fix it. i'd have to mail it to him in nevada though. says between chips and resistors and all that crap, he'd probably have to spend about 30-40 bucks buying all new parts. he's a pretty stand up guy that everyone in the audio forum on the chatboard worships...but i don't know if its worth it. i'll probably just end up buying a new one and giving my old one to someone who knows how to fix it.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:37 AM
Anton Miller wrote:my system does that. what does it mean if it does that? it even does it when i turn the car off. but the amp pushes out good sound.

Mine did this because of my stupid mistake, I unhooked my subs, but left the amp hooked up and the speaker wires all there, well the speaker wires touched each other, and it blew one of the rca outputs on the back of the radio ( non fading ), took the radio out and plugged the rca's into the rear output, works perfect now.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:48 AM
I've been thinking about getting into amp repair as a side job, but I may be going back to school soon.

good luck with the amp bro.

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:20 AM
FReQ Z wrote:I've been thinking about getting into amp repair as a side job, but I may be going back to school soon.

good luck with the amp bro.

want a project amp try work on? 40 bucks shipped.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:09 PM
I might take you up on that... but it'll be a little while.

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:56 PM
let me know. i won't throw it away just for you. i've got a little space on my shelf left.

GO PATS!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search