Need Help On Subwoofer Choice - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need Help On Subwoofer Choice
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:16 AM
Well The surrounds on the 2 type-r Subs that I had Started to break away from the cone for some reason. I dont Think I was overpowering the speakers, But I couldnt find any specs on the amp I was using to run them.

The only thing I know about the amp was that It was a Fosgate amp, and it said "power 1000 a^2 (a squared)" on it... If anyone knows how much power that amp is supposed to supply, can you let me know?

I actually JB Welded the surrounds to the cones again and the subs still his as hard as they ever did, however they are blown a bit (if they can be partially blown, i dont know) but occationally theyll crack and studder, at 1/2 or 3/4 volume.

Anyways, Im kinda doing a fresh start, I might still use that amp, it made a lot of noise at 4ohms, I didnt want to run it at 1ohm.
Im going to put the subwoofer(s) on the seatback in the back of the car and build a box in the trunk for them.

Id like it to be a sealed enclosure.

Im not sure what sub(s) to get, Ive had Infinitys, sony xplod's (back a long time ago), and just got rid of the type-r subs.

I liked the infinty sound, but it wasnt quite loud enough, and the alpine speakers were very nice.

I was looking at getting Type-X speakers from Alpine, but then I started looking at this site and found out about Elemental Designs and a few other companies, Kicker, JL, Etc...

What would be the best to get to be The same quality and bump as the type-r speakers? Id like to run just 1 sub if possible.

thanks for any wisdom!

Re: Need Help On Subwoofer Choice
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:27 AM
I absolutely LOVE my JL's. And I have heard great things about Elemental Designs. Those would be my choices.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:37 AM
Honestly Id like to get an ED sub, only because no one around here would have one and it would be unexpectedly loud or amazing or something, I like to be different... but I dont know anything about that company.

Im leaning towards the Type-x
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:49 AM
Quote:

Honestly Id like to get an ED sub, only because no one around here would have one and it would be unexpectedly loud or amazing or something, I like to be different... but I dont know anything about that company.

Im leaning towards the Type-x
I have ed

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:09 PM
^^ As in their audio Equipment?

If so, How do you like it?... Details?
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:57 PM
I have 2 13kv.3's (12") and a nine.1 There amps are rated at 12v which I think is awesome. Because most peoples electrical system is not going to have a constant 14.4v, which most of the amps i see are rated at. So you will accutally get more than there rating if you have a good electrical system. The 13kv's have really good sound quality and they still get the car moving. Not to mention the 5 year warranty.

Im considering changing my setup though im either going 2 18's from ed. Or a already have ordered this sub but i might just sell it.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:02 PM
that 1000a2 was when rockford liked to underrate their gear. it probably did closer to 1400 watts
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:05 PM
^^ 1400 peak? or RMS?
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:39 PM
n8ball2013 wrote:that 1000a2 was when rockford liked to underrate their gear. it probably did closer to 1400 watts

Yeah, and you could cook eggs on it's heatsink if you liked. Even at idle they ran rediculously hot.
That's circa 1999, in the dark ages of Rockford when they first decided it was OK to rate gear at 14.4V.

GAM (The Kilted One) wrote: if you think you're that much better than them because you're "correct" I hope your progeny don't turn out as screwed up as yourself.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:46 PM
Anyone on advice for subs?
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:59 PM
ok... i am going to post this link again, because I think I made a lot of good points that realy help when people ask for sub recomendations...

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/showthread.php?t=260957

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:not funny... i just can't find that funny... not with 2 copies of the Candyland board game on your shelf.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:04 PM
Thanks for the link^, I read all the information on there.

Let me rephrase the question.

What is the best sub by elemental designs that I can use in a sealed enclosure, and power with my Fosgate 1000a2 (for now) -- Id like it to be something comparable in quality and hit as hard or harder than my Alpine type-R 12"s did.

Thanks!
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:26 PM
Are you limited to just Elemental Designs? You also left out some key elements here for us to recomend things...
1. what are you most concerned with? just "hitting hard" and getting loud, or sound quality?
2. what is your budget?
3. if you are trying to get as loud as possible, why sealed? ported is going to be a lot more efficient for getting loud.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:not funny... i just can't find that funny... not with 2 copies of the Candyland board game on your shelf.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:36 PM
Sorry about lacking detail..

Id like to hit hard, and have sound quality.

I want it to be sealed because all of the ported systems that I've heard have all sounded mushy to me, I like that crisp clean bump that you get from a sealed enclosure..

Im not limited to ED, I've just heard some good things about them, and would like to give them a shot.

Budget is not an issue, because I can save for a while before I get the sub(s) -- I wont have my setup in the car finished for a while and untill I do, I'll run whats left of my Type-R's.

Sound Quality to me Is most important, Id like something with a larger range of playability, something that can hit low and not miss too many higher bass notes. At the same time I'd like to be able to crank it and rattle some pavement. I dont need too much, 2 Type-Rs on the 1000a2 amp was enough as far as loud for me.

I hope this makes me seem less ignorant!
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:48 PM
Ed is more known for sound quality. There subs sound good even ported. I say go for a couple 13ov.2s you wont be dissapointed

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:51 PM
heres a link for some guy selling used 13ov.2's thats an awesome price since there $195 each

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:51 PM
Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:55 AM
steven c. wrote:Ed is more known for sound quality. There subs sound good even ported. I say go for a couple 13ov.2s you wont be dissapointed

I've got a 13Ov.2 in a ported box tuned to 33hz and it's not muddy sounding at all.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:45 PM
wow... i didnt see this thread... i know its old bump, but if you have any question about the product, please let me know.

Elemental Designs
Performance.Mobile.Audio.
alexl@edesignaudio.com
Warehouse Manager

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search