12" Alpine Type R's - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
12" Alpine Type R's
Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:03 AM
hey, i've had 2 of these puppies for a little bit now and i was just looking at the instructions and they can be wired to 2 ohm and 4ohm i've got them at 4 now and i've been searching online for a little bit now if i could wire them to 2 instead. i searched the specs of the sub and it only says impadence (sp?) 4ohm
could someone help me out here?
Thanks

2003 White Cavalier LS Sport Coupe

Re: 12" Alpine Type R's
Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:49 AM
you have two of them your only possible combo is 8 4 or 1 ohm
Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:51 AM
ok, and i'd take the ohms and devide by 2 because they're 2 voice coils right? so if i wire them to 1ohm they would probably blow?

Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:52 AM
or would wiring them to 1ohm be one ohm each?

Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:04 AM
sorry for posting like that... i'd post then realize i have more to add to it. anyway, they do come in dual 4 ohm and dual 2 ohm subs. i've got the dual 4ohm ones. could they safely be wired to 1ohm? i'm looking at the manual now and it only says how to wire one amp to 2 subs at 4ohm, then for the dual 2 ohm subs it shows how to wire them to 2 ohm or one ohm with 1 amp and 1 sub,

Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:34 AM
Its not the subs but the amps you have to worry about. I have a couple Dual 2ohm Subs sitting right here.

The subs can be wired to any impedance you want. Its not going to hurt the subs as it doesnt effect the subs. But you need to make sure you have an amp that is stable down to 1ohm. Ohms are just electrical resistance.

Is there a reason you want to wire it down lower?? You didnt mention anything about it.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:37 AM
Yeah the Kenwood amp i have is stable to 1 ohm, well i've been reading and doing a lot of research and from what i've gathered is that if you have them running at lower ohms they will sound clearer and make them hit harder or be louder for lack of better words.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:49 AM
yeah, you dont know what your talking about (obviously or you wouldnt be asking) so i just wondered what you wanted to gain. You are correct, nothing your going to notice a difference with prolly, but might as well. YOu know your going to be tossing more power to the subs as well right?

What Amp are you using?

Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:56 AM
Yeah thats true i'm not 100% sure what im talking about. I've got a Kenwood Excelon Kac-X812D amp, and i realize i'l be putting more power to the subs thats why i thought i'd ask to see if you guys had any opinions so i dont go and blow up all my gear. lol

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:00 AM
Alright just wanted to make sure. By the way I wasnt being a dick, i was just explaing why i asked you that..

Now that I look at that amp..HOLY @!#$..you are wayyyyyy under powering those subs....there getting like 250 a peice...

If you wire it to 1ohm youll be putting maybe 1000w to them. But a little advice...these subs can take ALOT more than 500w a peice on a DD basis...as long as its nice clean power...

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:03 AM
250 A PIECE!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! really??????????????? holy crap, they're INSANE loud right now.
So i'm definitly going to wire them to 1ohm. lol. i can't belive they're only 250 each.... im still looking at the manual, so for 1 ohm i would just connect both jumpers on the tops of both subs, then just run the wiring from the subs to the amp the same way?
Thanks a lot man.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:06 AM
Just one last question. lol if i get another amp (the same kind) and the subs are wired to 1ohm. that would make them 1000w each right? because im dividing the power of the amps by 2because im runnign 2 subs...

Re: 12
Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:16 AM
Yeah that amp is only putting out 533w at 4ohms...You may not even be getting that.

I would bet they arent as loud as you think. But hey you may not even notice that much of a difference bumping up the power...

ummm..i dont really know what your saying...the way you just explained sounds like it would wire it to 4ohms...but like i said, i dont quite understand you...

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:20 AM
Stitch wrote:Just one last question. lol if i get another amp (the same kind) and the subs are wired to 1ohm. that would make them 1000w each right? because im dividing the power of the amps by 2because im runnign 2 subs...

Yes..but if I were you, id sell the amp, and buy a Better Amp with more power at 1ohm...Like a Hifonics 2006D Should be able to get a new one off ebay around 300 bucks..

2000w @ 1ohm. I mean you may not get that depending on the voltage of your car, but i would bet its putting out more power at a lesser or equal voltage than that kenwood..

You would need my Subs to do what you wanna do. Dual 2ohm Voice Coils. Yours are Dual 4s which cant be wired down to 1ohm independently..

Sunday, April 15, 2007 12:41 PM
not to thread jack but would the alpine MRD-M1005 be good to use with them?
Sunday, April 15, 2007 12:45 PM
I used it with them and they pounded...and that was in a pos prefab box...

500w is fine. But people that are more knowledgable throw alot more wattage to them. Clean Power though...

Im selling mine right now so I can buy a hi fonics with a little more power cause my new sub is power hungry...

Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:21 PM
yeah? what kinda sub do you got? or is it the alpines?

Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:38 PM
i was thinking of wiring the mrd-m1005 to 1 ohm
Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:58 PM
No..Its not stable to 1ohm...

I have 2 of the newer 12in Type Rs Dual 2's...

Right now Im using a Handbuilt 18in and those are sitting there. I used them for about a month...

Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:40 PM
Rosario wrote:Alright just wanted to make sure. By the way I wasnt being a dick, i was just explaing why i asked you that..

Now that I look at that amp..HOLY @!#$..you are wayyyyyy under powering those subs....there getting like 250 a peice...

If you wire it to 1ohm youll be putting maybe 1000w to them. But a little advice...these subs can take ALOT more than 500w a peice on a DD basis...as long as its nice clean power...

x5000.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Sunday, April 15, 2007 3:07 PM
i was just getting around to wiring my subs up now and i realized that my amp is a 2 channel so how would i go about doing that? would it be the same way just i dont have to hook the subs together?

Sunday, April 15, 2007 3:46 PM
you can not wire it down to 1 ohm it will smoke. you can do two ohm stereo or 4 ohm mono it will be the same power output.
Sunday, April 15, 2007 4:00 PM
So he cant wire a 1ohm Amp down to 1ohm?

Sunday, April 15, 2007 4:43 PM
i just wired them up the way the diagram shows and everytime i turn it up past 12 (goes to 35) volume they cut out. uhntil they do the lights are almost out when they hit though. so is this showing that theuy're not going to work? or is it saying im gonna need a Cap?

Sunday, April 15, 2007 4:51 PM
i just took it for a lil burn and the amp completly shut off and it wasn't even on half. it blew a fuse on the amp. nevermind about the cap. lol, so im guessing that they can't be wired like that? lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search