04 sunfire audio system same as 04 grand prix? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 sunfire audio system same as 04 grand prix?
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 12:39 PM
The cd player in my 04 sunfire looks exactly the same and functions the same as my wifes 04 grand prix. However her stereo sounds a WHOLE lot better. Her stereo isn't a monsoon and it looks like the rear speakers are 6x9's, the same as the sunfire but have a different part no#. Maybe my speakers are blown and hers are still in good shape. I figured both systems would sound the same but its not really close.

2004 Pontiac Sunfire, stock for now
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
2000 Z28 Camaro, fully loaded, Ran 13.58@105 with bad clutch
1998 Ford F150
1957 Chevy 2dr.post, 350 4speed, ran a 15.52@90

Re: 04 sunfire audio system same as 04 grand prix?
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 1:38 PM
I'm almost certain that the Grand Prix (being a more expensive car) gets a better quality set of speakers. The head unit is pretty much universal tho.

Monsoon really has nothing to do with the head unit... moreso the amplifier and speakers that it drives. But they stick a purty sticker on the radio that says "Monsoon" to remind you. I think the radio is the same as most Pontiacs.

The amp in the Sunfire is WAY smaller than the W-body. I know that for certain. I looked at one.... considered swapping it into my Cavalier... but there were more speakers than the J-body... at least, on the Grand Prix Monsoon system. 10, I thought.

Would the rear speakers from a Grand Prix work in a Sunfire? Maybe... I don't know. I don't know if anyone here has tried it.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 2:51 PM
6x9's are 6x9's...i fail to see why the speakers wouldn't work...

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 5:05 PM
Well, the Monsoon has two drivers, and four wires. Maybe the Grand Prix is 2, maybe it's 4. I don't know, and I didn't want to say that... heh.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 1:44 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. My wifes car doesn't have the monsoon, but it does sound as good as the 500 watt 8 speaker monsoon in my 2000 Z28.

2004 Pontiac Sunfire, stock for now
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
2000 Z28 Camaro, fully loaded, Ran 13.58@105 with bad clutch
1998 Ford F150
1957 Chevy 2dr.post, 350 4speed, ran a 15.52@90
Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:35 AM
they rear speakers should work

the one from the sunfire are a different part number probably because they are made by a diff company.

i purchased a set of tweeters and 4x6's for mine that were from a grand am. i still havent use them. the tweeters require me taking a hole saw to more door to mount them, and i just opted out to use the original coaxl's my cav came with.

the ones i purchased were made by onkyo, GM switched to delphi when they made the G6 and dropped the Grand Am, i believe the j-body and the grand prix dont share the same brand.

on the other hand, i wonder if the 6x9's in her rear may just have a different ohmic value.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search