grounding multiple amps - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
grounding multiple amps
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 6:26 PM
when you ground amps can you/should you ground all of them to a common point...like have all the amps splice into a large wire that grounds, or should you have seperate grounding points for each??

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL

Re: grounding multiple amps
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:39 PM
Either use a grounding block, or ground them each seperately, but close together. Just don't try stacking a bunch of ring terminals on one screw.

-Chris
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:59 PM
thanks!

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 10:34 PM
I had mine together, never had any problems.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 8:36 AM
either way you want is ok. If your amps are close together, you can ground them in the same spot.

If they are far apart, it'd be better to use two grounding locations. just keep the ground cables shorter then 18"

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 8:39 AM
I wouldnt think it'd matter where/how you grounded them, because you're told to ground amps to the frame, which the battery (the neg terminal) is grounded out to the frame as well. Pretty much its the same circuit. Just dont do what I did, because I doubt its healthy (ground wire from amp 1 connects to ground terminal on amp 2, which also grounds itself out to the frame)

I just had an idea, distro blocks wire amps in parallel, what if amps were wired in series? Just a question
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:03 AM
Calvin Di Bartolo wrote:I wouldnt think it'd matter where/how you grounded them, because you're told to ground amps to the frame, which the battery (the neg terminal) is grounded out to the frame as well. Pretty much its the same circuit. Just dont do what I did, because I doubt its healthy (ground wire from amp 1 connects to ground terminal on amp 2, which also grounds itself out to the frame)

I just had an idea, distro blocks wire amps in parallel, what if amps were wired in series? Just a question

the only time it's important to use different ground spots is with processors and amps. Usually you wouldn't want to ground them at the same spot due to the noise the amp will introduce. But with higher end equipment it won't matter.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search