Does this wire exist? No power when in motion? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Does this wire exist? No power when in motion?
Friday, September 16, 2005 8:19 AM
I'm just wondering if any such 12v source exists that is live when the car is off or idling, but goes dead when the car is over 5 mph or some such low speed?

The only things I can think of that pay any attention to the car's speed are the chimes for the e-brake and the trunk release switch on the 02+ cars. I suspect both are controlled by the BCM so I doubt I'll have any luck.

I know some head units are set up to only allow screen use while the car is stopped but I suspect those have something to do with checking whether the car is in gear.

Hopefully some of you audio gurus have a definitive answer here.

Thanks!

Re: Does this wire exist? No power when in motion
Friday, September 16, 2005 9:38 AM
If your installing an indash tv, you just ground it to the body if I remember correctly, at least on the older ones. Someone please correct if I'm wrong.

Friday, September 16, 2005 10:10 AM
Not installing a tv. I'm putting in a trunk release button.

Friday, September 16, 2005 11:25 AM
I think they attach TV wiring onto the parking brake somehow so that it only works if the brake is up.

I don't belive there is any kind of wiring that will not work when in motion. I'm sure something COULD be engineered, but at what cost?

Steve
Friday, September 16, 2005 11:54 AM
How about engaging a relay when the parking brake is on? That could supply your +12v. I dunno how much current flows between the engaging pins when it's engaged, though.

-----
Slot Ported Box Design Calculator
Friday, September 16, 2005 12:11 PM
I'd like to be able to pop the trunk with the car in motion at slow speeds though, so the parking brake isn't really an optimal choice.

I was just kinda hoping against hope that there was something, somewhere, that was controlled by the BCM and that could be tapped into but I just can't think of anything.

Friday, September 16, 2005 1:46 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:I'd like to be able to pop the trunk with the car in motion at slow speeds though,
Missle Launcher?

-----
Slot Ported Box Design Calculator
Friday, September 16, 2005 8:16 PM
heres an idea just dont push the botton at high speeds

Friday, September 16, 2005 8:32 PM
WW, dont worry i instaled an electronic one too
just dont buy a broken switch...mine popped the whole way home from an appointment. luckily i had teh fuse in an accesible place.
but anyway...install it where i did and you wont have to worry about bumping it.....the plastic black piece behind the hood release. i drilled a hole and put a simple switch in...i can get pics for you if you want

Saturday, September 17, 2005 3:21 AM
i still wanna know why he wants to open it a "slow" speeds

Saturday, September 17, 2005 9:31 PM
alright the tV hook up thing. on my Alpine it has to see that your holding the brakes and you put the e-brake up and a down like twice and leave it up... when you have the parking brake up it com[pletes the circit but giving it a ground (thus the e-brake light comes on because you added the gorund to complete the circuit) So the wire hooked into the e-brake from the head unit also gets a ground when you aply the e-brake. So you run that wire straight to ground and a add a toggle switch so it can go back and forth from open to grounded and it thinks your using the e-brake.

so long story short on TV's the e-brake thing is just a ground, no power wires lik your tlaking about

Saturday, September 17, 2005 9:37 PM
yea why open it at slow motions

Monday, September 19, 2005 4:58 AM
Thanks guys! I guess you've all confirmed what I suspected. No such thing.

As for why... well it's just convenient while staying safe. If I'm rolling up to somewhere and want to pop the trunk, I'd like to be able to just hit the button without first having to come to a complete stop. I think the reason I'd like power killed while going faster is fairly obvious.

Monday, September 19, 2005 11:26 AM
the only thing i can think of is that you can pull the e-brake up one click and it wouldnt damage your brakes while still letting you pop the trunk. the e-brake doesnt have to be all the way to the top to complete the circut you need.

Monday, September 19, 2005 11:51 AM
two switches. one to power it and break the circuit and one to pop it.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 2:38 PM
on the tv thing..

why add a toggle swithc just ground the Ebrake wire anywhere and your tv will always work.. mine does anyway

i dont get why it matters if your moving or not moving at all.. for the trunk?? what are you afraid of the trunk flying open when ur driving.. which wouldnt do anything anyway unless you were going like 75 in a reverse i can pop my trunk either way lever.. or on my remote anytime it doesnt matter ive never had a problem not sure what you are getting at and why you would want it disabled when your moving? why cant you just pop it once youve stopped? are you like in a HUGE hurry you can take stuff out of it until u go back there anyway so what good would the trunk already open be?? im lost

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 2:39 PM
there also has to be something.. like some alarms the doors lock after 5mph.. so there has to be a way to reverse the effect seems like too mcuh wokr then wuts its worth

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:10 PM
Brandon Schmidt wrote:on the tv thing..

why add a toggle swithc just ground the Ebrake wire anywhere and your tv will always work.. mine does anyway

Darkstars wrote: it has to see that your holding the brakes and you put the e-brake up and a down like twice and leave it up...

it has to be cylced

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 1:18 PM
has to be cycled? i wrapped my pink wire around my ground and connected them both to car ground my screen always works..

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 1:35 PM
With some of them it will work like that. My Panasonic I could just ground and it will play DVDs whenever I want. Others need to see a pattern. This is where the switch comes in to play, so that you can turn it on and off.

-Chris
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 6:48 PM
Hey weasel, the same thoughts were going through my head when i installed my pop release for the trunk.

SO all I did was wire the 12V source to my brake lights. I have to push my brake pedal down, to pop the trunk. In your case, that may work. It was easy. As your slowing into a parking spot pop the trunk...mine works great, and i have never had an accidental opening

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 7:06 PM
Brandon Schmidt wrote:on the tv thing..

i dont get why it matters if your moving or not moving at all.. for the trunk?? what are you afraid of the trunk flying open when ur driving.. which wouldnt do anything anyway unless you were going like 75 in a reverse i can pop my trunk either way lever.. or on my remote anytime it doesnt matter ive never had a problem not sure what you are getting at and why you would want it disabled when your moving? why cant you just pop it once youve stopped? are you like in a HUGE hurry you can take stuff out of it until u go back there anyway so what good would the trunk already open be?? im lost

poping ur trunk at 25 can do some damage..i know from personal experience....

Monday, September 26, 2005 7:02 AM
pjk91 wrote:Hey weasel, the same thoughts were going through my head when i installed my pop release for the trunk.

SO all I did was wire the 12V source to my brake lights. I have to push my brake pedal down, to pop the trunk. In your case, that may work. It was easy. As your slowing into a parking spot pop the trunk...mine works great, and i have never had an accidental opening

Half the value of putting the switch in will be in the ability to just lean into the car and pop the trunk when I'm at shows and stuff so this isn't really an option.

It's something I'd like to do if it were possible and convenient but it's looking like it's a bit of a hassle or I'd need some bizarre work-around. In this case, I'll just wire it simply and take my chances. Realistically, I doubt it would do anything to pop it on the highway anyway. The weight of my wing holds the trunk down so it doesn't move a mm when I pop it. It just clicks and then you can lift it up.

Monday, September 26, 2005 7:19 PM
^^^so does mine but the momentum of your car will throw it up

anyway trust me i did this jsut to a fused wire..i installed teh button behind my hood release this way i cant bump it...you want pics? i'll get ehm tom.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search