Ecotec Install in non-electronic S10 truck - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Install in non-electronic S10 truck
Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:42 PM
Hi - I'm happy to find a forum that has experience with ecotec engines. I have installed an ecotec engine form a 2006 Solstice in an S10 dirt track truck. Engine came with ECU and wiring harness intact. Getting the engine to run has has become a challenge. I thought I had all the required wires connected to the ECU. I power up the ECU & fuel pump and then press the start button ( jumpered the starter motor ) - the engine starts and runs for about 5 seconds - then stops.
Press starter button again and it runs again for 5 seconds. etc etc.

Does anyone know what wires need to be connected on the ECU for the engine to run.

Or what sensors must be working in order for the engine to run - ie oil pressure, fuel pressure, coolant level etc

Has anyone ever put an ecotec engine in a non-electronic body.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-- Tony

Re: Ecotec Install in non-electronic S10 truck
Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:48 PM
Sounds like the theft system is kicking in.

O noes!
Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:55 PM
I was gonna say that too. Call a dealership and see if they can unprogram the theft system

Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:22 PM
Ill say the theft too.
Man If the dealer cant delete it, your going to have to do some figuring if that engine is going to work for you.
The ecu (pcm) talks to the BCM through a serial data line. the sensor in the ignition key cylinder is normally just read by the bcm but has been read by other modules connected in the serial data lines. If the Ignition cylinder doesnt send the correct signal out then the pcm goes into theft mode. Depending on what the theft system disables in the solstice, it may be possible to disable / bypass it. Since your obviously not building a show truck for the dirt, A couple of snips here and there on some wires couldnt hurt anything. The problem with this approach is you gotta know what disables the car from running. It may be something as simple as turning off the fuel pump enable. Or as complicated as disable injector pulse, which wont be an option to get it running.
Your best bet is to try an EXPERIENCED dealership, Many techs dont know a damn thing about how to disable anything. Only how to program in a good vin.

You might want to char with Kardain, or Shooff in (progress of v-6 swap) thread, they know some one that can program pcm's to what ever you want.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Friday, June 15, 2007 3:02 AM
You might try in the tuning forum to find out if HPTuners can disable the anti-theft system. I know the new PCM's dont agree well without having the BCM and everything all attached to them. If it can, you could order HPTuners for it. I dont know if the dealership can take it out, dont be suprised if they're not able to do that.

Problem with what Joe said above is that I dont think you can get an anti-theft bypass module like you would with a remote car start if it doesnt have the BCM in there. Basically what you do is trick the BCM into thinking that the correct key is in there when it's really not. Then it tells the PCM that everything is ok. What's happening when your truck dies is that the PCM did not recieve the correct code in the appropriate ammount of time. When this happens, the PCM will automatically stop pulsing the fuel injectors (turn them off) and it makes the engine die. If you do it enough times in a row, it should go and completely disable them for 10 minutes, then it wont even fire up at all.

I'd also suggest to you Megasquirt, but i'm not even sure there. I think that ECOTEC engine has the new reluctor wheel in it (which is 52x instead of 7x). In that case, I dont know if the MS system will be able to pick up the crank signal. Though, I believe some research is being done to figure this out. Plus it wont be able to operate any of the VVT or anything like that. To me this really has me kinda stumped.

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:53 AM
ummmm.... PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree....

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:06 AM
i plan to start this in an old 87 camaro soon with any luck. Msd has an ignition that runs off the cam were the power stearing use to be. ingector timing, i would used mega squirt tied in with the msd why use a limiting factory ecu. Jave fun and info for when i start mine would a help.

Friday, June 15, 2007 12:40 PM
^^^
You're going to put an Ecotec in a Camaro...???

-Seth

Friday, June 15, 2007 3:55 PM
Quote:

ngector timing, i would used mega squirt tied in with the msd why use a limiting factory ecu.

Like I mentioned above. If you dont have a 7x crank sensor you're not going to be using the Megasquirt. And I dont understand using the MSD when you can have the MS run timing as well.

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:40 PM
Tony Goertz wrote:Hi - I'm happy to find a forum that has experience with ecotec engines. I have installed an ecotec engine form a 2006 Solstice in an S10 dirt track truck. Engine came with ECU and wiring harness intact. Getting the engine to run has has become a challenge. I thought I had all the required wires connected to the ECU. I power up the ECU & fuel pump and then press the start button ( jumpered the starter motor ) - the engine starts and runs for about 5 seconds - then stops.
Press starter button again and it runs again for 5 seconds. etc etc.

Does anyone know what wires need to be connected on the ECU for the engine to run.

Or what sensors must be working in order for the engine to run - ie oil pressure, fuel pressure, coolant level etc

Has anyone ever put an ecotec engine in a non-electronic body.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-- Tony

I've thought about this before I can't wait to see pictures of this! Good luck and the passlock and bcm seem to be the two things you need to deal with to get it to run right for you.

NightmaresCavy wrote:i plan to start this in an old 87 camaro soon with any luck. Msd has an ignition that runs off the cam were the power stearing use to be. ingector timing, i would used mega squirt tied in with the msd why use a limiting factory ecu. Jave fun and info for when i start mine would a help.

Another car I'd love to see that set up in If you start this, def post pics!

Best quarter mile to date - 15.750 @ 85.82
"We ride together, we die together. Bad Boys for life"
www.nimbus9.net
Nimbus 9, some friends of my that rock! Click and experience them for yourself
IF YOU NEED A JOB IN NH PART OR FULL TIME, PM ME! ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIKE CARS!!!
Sunday, June 17, 2007 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info - I will get some picture ASAP and keep you posted as to how we make out. If you find any solutions - please post.

-- Tony

Sunday, June 17, 2007 4:43 PM
eco in an old nova hatch FTW!!!!
Monday, June 18, 2007 10:46 AM
this may help

transponder unit

Monday, June 18, 2007 3:44 PM
www.diyautotune.com megasquirt and spark, run 2.2 coilpacks from a 1992 cavalier.... this will work, it's how mine is setup

watch for flying sparks!!!
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:12 AM
Remeber stock camaros at that era had a whooping 200 horsepower a turbo ecotec with forged pistons and rods could easily hit 350. Light like a butterfly sting like a bee.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:18 AM
NightmaresCavy wrote:Remeber stock camaros at that era had a whooping 200 horsepower a turbo ecotec with forged pistons and rods could easily hit 350. Light like a butterfly sting like a bee.

good point, but an ecotec or any 4 cylinder will never be stable or streetable at high horsepower.

A v8 which is pretty much plug and play in an old camaro will always destroy an ecotec.

build a 500 hp ecotec, see how many issues you have, or you can buy this and be done with it.

Lets say you buy a low mileage eco, and throw a turbo on it, congrats, you have made 280hp and spent close to 2600-3000 dollars. Not to mention the fabrication to get it to fit and what are you going to do about a tranny? Either way you go about it, thats a whole lot of fabbing.

For the amount of time and money it would cost to do that eco swap, you could probably buy that edelbrock crate motor, have a warrantee and just throw it in without much more cost. have a motor that will last longer than 2 years without blowing something!

So I am going to go back with my original thought, which I didn't wanna voice cause I think I shatter this kid's life all to often, but its a dumb idea, its beyond a dumb idea, I don't really think I could come up with anything dumber than throwing a 4 cylinder into a car that wants a v8!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:29 AM
Screw that engine, put a ZZ572/620 in there, putting out way more power, with a low 9.6:1 compression ratio, and no stress of forced induction... sure, it weighs 8 million pounds, but so what, you're only gonna be going in a straight line anyway

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:25 PM
ragin z i get what your saying but operation and matienece will still be cheaper. you can get sand rail ecotecs turbo with a warrenty too. but the days of the v8 are slowly comeing to an end yes i love them. but lets face it soon fuel is going to kill the v8 And i want a camaro. gm failed in the 80's to put a powerfull 4 cyclinder in the camaro. Cheper gas, insurance and lighter.
The problem raginz is we are both bench marking on a carthat doesn't exist. yes fab work will be included but what a nice cruiser it would make.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:59 PM
NightmaresCavy wrote:ragin z i get what your saying but operation and matienece will still be cheaper. you can get sand rail ecotecs turbo with a warrenty too. but the days of the v8 are slowly comeing to an end yes i love them. but lets face it soon fuel is going to kill the v8 And i want a camaro. gm failed in the 80's to put a powerfull 4 cyclinder in the camaro. Cheper gas, insurance and lighter.
The problem raginz is we are both bench marking on a carthat doesn't exist. yes fab work will be included but what a nice cruiser it would make.

First off, please learn how to spell. Guess what? There's even a 'Spell Check' button to the left of the 'Post' button. It's easy.
Second, if you want a more powerful camaro with four cylinder gas mileage then you're looking to build a car with only mild horsepower.
You'd be better off throwing something along the lines of a displacement-on-demand motor in that thing so that you run on four cylinders when cruising and eight when you need to go. Or, better yet, just build the damn thing to go fast and screw gas mileage. When was the last time you heard somebody with a sports car say 'I love how fast this car is, but damn I wish I had better mpg's'? No one does that. Do you know why? It's the same reason people still buy big trucks that get horrible mileage. They're made for one reason and fuel economy isn't that reason.
If you're really concerned about how much you're spending on gas, screw the eco and throw a diesel in it, convert it to bio, and run it off vegetable oil.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:58 PM
sykeeok wrote:When was the last time you heard somebody with a sports car say 'I love how fast this car is, but damn I wish I had better mpg's'? No one does that.

Nobody says it, because they don't want anybody to think they bought a sports car they can't afford to keep fueled. I'll bet that plenty of people think it from time to time. It's something of a moot point though -- I don't care if you have a W16 or an inline 4: if you build it to make power, it's going to drink gas.

I'd still be intrigued by the idea of an Ecotec Camaro, not because of cost savings, but because I just like the sound of a high-strung high-RPM engine. Anyone can build an engine with a lot of big high-displacement cylinders and make some horsepower, but it seems to me that compact power is were technology shines. Plus, it would be worth it just to stir up some muscle-car enthusiasts.

"What the f*** do you do to that car?"
"Don't worry -- it's still completely GM at heart."

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:19 PM
Since this thread has already taken a turn for the worst, my opinion cant hurt it any more than the next.

Skyeeok is right about the horespower and price at the pump.
I built an 87 s10, 406 sbc, edelbrock fuel injected 1000 cfm tb, 6 spd stick viper trans. I have NEVER complained about putting high test or racing fuel in it. I think the tire smoldering, speed, and the G's pressing me back in the seat forcing me to smile big make it all worth while.
If your going to complain about gas prices, you cant run with the big boys.

The camaro's were LiL pigs with the v-6's in them, not really too much better with the 305 v-8 and you want to put the effort into a echo swap. That car is too heavy for gas mileage with a 4 banger, sounds like you just have a camaro and an echo laying around and just thought of something to do with them.

Furthermore this guy with the s-10 is more than likely running a specific class of dirt racing that wont allow the v-8 in there because it didnt come in it from factory. I find it kind of odd that the track officials will let you run a 4 banger that didnt come in it. they must not be too smart.

Ok next.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:27 AM
yes i mispelled alot owell. Yes it's still just a plan for now. the weight has been a concern in the back of my head since i thought of doing it. but thats why man made tubing and a torch. I still have alot to work out.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 12:04 PM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:
build a 500 hp ecotec, see how many issues you have, or you can buy this and be done with it.

But then you need one of these.

Friday, June 22, 2007 9:20 AM
^^^

Sunday, July 01, 2007 3:12 AM
What kinda transmission is being used in the S10? I take it this truck is running 4 cylinder class? btw, ragin, not raggin u or anything but do you remember when they used to put the S10 4 Tech 4 cylinders in the bottom of the line Camaros? Those things could barely make it up hills.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search