2.4 Grand Am motor in a 2200 Cavy - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 Grand Am motor in a 2200 Cavy
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:06 PM
I know this is probably the 800th engine swap question on here, but I didn't find a thread relating to this situation:

I am looking at a very good deal (free!) on a 200x Pontiac Grand Am with an LD9. Along with swapping the front spindles, I was thinking of doing a 2200-to-LD9 swap. I have a 4T40 trans, so it will bolt right up to that, no problem. That's not really what I'm wondering about, though. I am more concerned about the PCM and wiring harness. Would I be able to use the GA harness and PCM, or would I have to find a harness out of a Z24/SGT?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 2.4 Grand Am motor in a 2200 Cavy
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 8:06 PM
Quote:

I have a 4T40 trans, so it will bolt right up to that, no problem. That's not really what I'm wondering about, though.

Nope, it won't work. It might be a 4T40E, but the bellhousings are different, and it won't bolt up.

You could use the the GA PCM and wiring harness, but you'd also have to use the GA BCM and cluster, so you are better off using the 2.4 one, or modifying the 2.2 one to a 2.4 one.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 8:46 PM
No deal, the car comes with a tranny, too

So, you're saying grabbing a harness and computer from an LD9 J-body would be the easiest way to go?

Also, I'm assuming the engine wiring harness doesn't enter the cabin area. Am I correct, or would I have to replace the wiring in the whole car?

Again, thanks

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 8:51 PM
Yeah, I would get a J harness. It does enter the cabin for the BCM, the BCM is in the drivers side kick panel.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:08 PM
But, you just unplug the old harness from the BCM and the new one in, correct? Like, out of the three square connectors, you unlplug one or two and plug the new ones in. I hope

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:41 PM
Yeah, pretty much, as long as you don't have to change the harness.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search