strut mount blown - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
strut mount blown
Sunday, October 23, 2005 3:58 PM
my front strut mount finally blew. the damn strut came through and dented my hood. i went to advane auto parts to order 2 new fronts but the only thing that showed up was the inner piece and not the whole mount. i don't know waht u would call that piece but its the metal part. is it still easy to change those out or will i need the whole assembly?

Re: strut mount blown
Sunday, October 23, 2005 5:38 PM
easier to buy the whole assembly...

2000_+ mounts are usually in the 70-100$ range

95-99 mounts are in the 45-60$ range

Sunday, October 23, 2005 6:18 PM
nobody sold the whole assembly except the chevy dealership and they want almost $200 each
Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:23 PM
Napaonline.com has them (complete):

00-05 #NCP2613442 $104
95-99 #NCP2613193 $93

Not the cheapest, but good quality stuff. I get most of my stuff through them.
(Their website is going through Sunday night updates, so it might be hard to get at right now)

Monday, October 24, 2005 12:57 PM
i got the struts out and was looking at the mounts. can i just pry the mount the mount apart and replace the bearing? i already ordered the new bearing
Monday, October 24, 2005 1:10 PM
I believe monroe strut mounts have a lifetime warranty. I replace mine every year, just for @!#$s and giggles.

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Monday, October 24, 2005 4:59 PM
i dont think the mount is coming apart. i'm gonna order the 95-99 mounts and upper spring seats. thats all i need right?
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 11:12 PM
CarQuest has em, they are made by Gabriel. Just ask for upper front strut mount, complete assembly.

My Dad's G/F works there, got both of mine yesterday for $43

List price is $73 each.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 6:56 PM
i converted to the older mounts and got everything installed. it honestly rides better in my opinion. thanks for all the input by everyone
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:44 PM
I have several questions. First, my fiance's car is clunking/grinding when you turn the wheel. I already have come to the conclusion that it's coming from the strut mount. I ordered the mount off of GMpartsdirect and all I got was a mount with no bearing. Now I'm seeing that the bearing is seperate from the mount when it's a GM part. If all I'm having is clunking/grinding, do I have to replace the mount or can I just get the bearing? Also, what is the bearing called on GMpartsdirect? All I found is something called a spring seat but it doesn't state weather that includes a bearing or not, not a very good picture either. Another question, if I decided to convert to the older style mount, should I do both sides? I'm trying to weight my options to figure out which is cheaper to do.
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:54 PM
Xylium: Don't buy from GM parts direct unless you can't get it anywhere else, they're expensive. And it's the same crap as anyone else, pretty much nobody is better than anybody else.

The Bearing Plate, Bearing, and Spring seat are the three parts that make up the mount. You can get the bearing at any auto parts store for <$20.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:09 PM
I bought the Gabriel's from Autozone, and they included the bearing plates, all 4 was a little over $100 or so. Since we're discussing strut mounts, since i lowered my car, anytime i hit a hard bump (man hole cover etc) at higher speeds (30-40+), its a bang like when my mounts were blown. If everything is normal being that its lowered, then i would be fine with that, just dont want my brand new suspension blown already.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 9:47 AM
anyone know where i can get just the spring seat for the pass side? i'm missing one and have been riding with out on for about 2-3 months now and totally not good alll over the road and it balled a tire

Who needs a sig?
www.sinisterimages.com
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 10:33 AM
I hope you mean the insulator, because if you didn't have a spring seat, your spring would have nowhere to sit.
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 10:35 AM
So, if I'm getting grinding, that's probably just the bearing, right? Are you able to get just the bearing for the 2000+ mounts at any auto parts store?
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 12:01 PM
no its the spring seat trust me, and im not sure but maybe the insulator too was missing! its the top spring seat!

Who needs a sig?
www.sinisterimages.com
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 8:14 PM
You can buy a spring seat at any local gm dealer. He gave me a price of about $5 a peice.
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 8:46 PM
On a 00+ mount the bearing it part of the mount.
To fix a bearing on 00+ is ~$100 at Napa. For 99- is <$20.
Bend over, brace for insertion of money extractor, pull!

Friday, April 07, 2006 9:14 PM
I went to parts america and got a Monroe Strut Mount Kit for $45. It included the mount and the bearing plate and bearing for 2000+ models. I decided not to convert to the old style.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search