cutting springs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cutting springs
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:19 PM
ok so i wanna lower my car but i dont have really any money to get lowering springs (and i dont want cheap ebay coilovers) so i was thinking about cutting my springs, i know its the "ricer" way out of it but i want my car lowered now and im broke, is there anything bad or wrong about this before i go ahead and do it..

Re: cutting springs
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:23 PM
Don't do it. Save your money and buy the real thing. Do some searching and you will find out why. Its probably in the FAQ also.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:33 PM
Yep. Do some research....
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:50 PM
hmm lets see here, whats wrong. it will make each of the 4 springs have a different spring rate. the car will be unevenly lowered. your sping rates will be way too low, resulting in it being bouncy as hell. its just an all around bad idea, your better off waiting and saving money till you can afford springs check ebay, they have springs for about a hundred bucks or so

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:57 PM
cutting springs is worse than getting ebay coils. if you dont have the money, then dont do it. modding a car isnt cheap. suspension is a key thing for the car, do not cheap out on it. a good setup will run you about 500 bucks for springs and struts

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:18 PM
easy fix to this....

stop being a mary and save up some cash, do it once ,do it right , and be done? its like the easiest solution EVAR!!!!

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:18 PM
yea thanks guys, lol that just turned my thinking 180 degrees, im just gonna save til i can afford real lowering springs
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:31 PM
actually i saw one auction on ebay, less than 500 bucks for KYB AGX struts and springs, good deal if you ask me

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:04 PM
redz24 . wrote:yea thanks guys, lol that just turned my thinking 180 degrees, im just gonna save til i can afford real lowering springs

dont save just for springs. like Puddin aka Muffins said do right and do it once. get some struts to go with the springs too.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:46 PM
If you have to ask about cutting springs then you shouldnt be doing it.
I'll leave it at that.

I am all that is man

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:49 PM
-ESB- wrote:If you have to ask about cutting springs then you shouldnt be doing it.
I'll leave it at that.

That's the truth. If you really know what your doing, then you can cut/custom fabricate your own springs. If that sounds "difficult" at all, don't do it, buy aftermarket.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:56 PM
no matter what others will say, Dropzone springs are about $115 shipped, and i am 100% pleased with them and yes struts are highly recomended but i dont think they are necessary right away. and the job isnt that hard if you want the springs first and then save for struts in the mean time

The one, the only, ME.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:01 PM
Dropzones are ok as long as your in the front seats.
THey beat the crap out me when I rode in the back of a J with them.

I am all that is man

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:19 PM
Event ~ "Stop being a Mary"

Friday, September 30, 2005 2:57 PM
yea thanks again, i got mixed opinions from some of my friends, mostly NO's tho so i just gotta job so im gonna save some cash n do i right
Friday, September 30, 2005 3:51 PM
redz24 . wrote:yea thanks again, i got mixed opinions from some of my friends, mostly NO's tho so i just gotta job so im gonna save some cash n do i right

do that and read the FAQ, there is so much information in there its not funny. I had to save like you, and I read the FAQ and every post I could get my hands on. I am very happy with my set-up.

listen....read....read more....ask questions after you do all the reading....think it over well... then act

oh yeah cutting your springs is a bad idea

Friday, September 30, 2005 3:55 PM
Two buddys of mine in our j-body car club have dropzones(2 inch drop) off of e-bay, a really nice drop, they seem to be bouncy, but does the trick.
NOW , i have eibach prokits on my sedan(1.4 drop) NOT low enough for my likeing, three years ago when i bought these i rushed into things and did not know then that is was not much of a drop, dont get me wrong, these prokits are wicked, but i am thinking of having them cut by a shop, now is this the same no no as cutting oem springs, or will this be better to do on my springs since they are lowering springs?
Should i have this done, or No, really bad idea?
Thanks

98 j-body sedan

Friday, September 30, 2005 4:04 PM
redz24 . wrote:yea thanks guys, lol that just turned my thinking 180 degrees, im just gonna save til i can afford real lowering springs

Good man.
I've ridden around in a friends car who has Apex springs (1.7" front and rear) with stock struts (which are a few years old, and have been on the springs since they were bought), and it felt fine to me. Don't call me a ricer either, I just spent over a grand on my setup, went with Sportlines and D-Specs. All I'm saying is that if you dont push it as far as lowering goes, the stock struts will do for a while - just make sure you get quality springs.

Friday, September 30, 2005 4:12 PM
yeah but if you take a part that is supposed to have a certain working length and then you cut a few inches off of that it won't be long till it fails. anything more graphic and I think I'd have to put this in AG lol.

Friday, September 30, 2005 4:36 PM
terry denomme wrote:Two buddys of mine in our j-body car club have dropzones(2 inch drop) off of e-bay, a really nice drop, they seem to be bouncy, but does the trick.
NOW , i have eibach prokits on my sedan(1.4 drop) NOT low enough for my likeing, three years ago when i bought these i rushed into things and did not know then that is was not much of a drop, dont get me wrong, these prokits are wicked, but i am thinking of having them cut by a shop, now is this the same no no as cutting oem springs, or will this be better to do on my springs since they are lowering springs?
Should i have this done, or No, really bad idea?
Thanks

THis the biggest problem with cutting springs. THe springs may slide right off the spring perch once they are cut.

Reason being is that the end of the springs that sit on the perch and top hats are wound closer together. THey will actualy form a solid ring so that they canot slide off in any direction.

THis is why you can not cut a stock front J body spring on top or bottom. Ive seen it doen and ive seen them slide right off.

Out back you can cut from the top of the spring. It has no place to go and dosnt twist and turn like the front. I road on cut rears for 6-7 months with no problems at all.

SOME drop springs you can get away with cutting some of the top of the front springs off. At this moment IM riding on cut Goldlines. THey are wound tighter at the top than some other drop springs ive seen. Tight enough that I could cut up to 3/4 of a coil off the top and not have it pop off the upper mount.
I cut them becasue they sat way higher than the rear of my car and I'm not tgoing to drive around looking like I have a dead body in my trunk.

Oh and never cut them with a torch. I always use a highspeed cutting wheel. Nice smooth quick cut.

Take this info however you want. Ive never had a problem with doing it in this way.
I know many people in the truck world who have cut spring like this with no problems.

Of course ive heard many horror stories from the ones who tride to cut or heat springs using a torch.

I am all that is man

Friday, September 30, 2005 4:43 PM
but I like the body in the trunk look

Friday, September 30, 2005 4:49 PM
Hey it works for some people

I am all that is man

Friday, September 30, 2005 4:59 PM
I always look for the arms that hang out of the trunk at Halloween

Friday, September 30, 2005 5:09 PM
i would think that spring clamps would be alittle safer than cutting springs.....or wouldnt it?

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Friday, September 30, 2005 8:50 PM
-ESB- wrote:Of course ive heard many horror stories from the ones who tride to cut or heat springs using a torch.

Me too.

ceelobluZ24 wrote:i would think that spring clamps would be alittle safer than cutting springs.....or wouldnt it?

You mean something that could pop off? And you think it's safer? Try again.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search