Almost died, thankful to be posting - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Almost died, thankful to be posting
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:01 AM
Omg, i dont know if any of you guys remember me telling you that a buddy of mine took my car and installed my coilovers for me? Well, i decided i was gonna raise my car up yesterday, so i got it up off the ground and went to start adjusting away on the front, grabbed the wheel and it started shaking back and forth like a mother fuc*er!!!! Top and bottom back and forth. So i was like WTF!?!?! Took the wheel off, to find (to my horror) that the two bolts that go through the strut into the hub (i dont think hub is the right word, but you know what i mean) were completely loose not even really holding anything on. Well after i got a new pair of boxers and pants, i came back out, torqued the hell out of both of those nuts, did the same on the other side. And called my buddy and told him how much of a f*cker he is and how i could have died. I'm buying agx's and some suspension tech or h tech springs before i even start that car up again.

Re: Almost died, thankful to be posting
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:18 AM
That didn't have anything to do with your coils. Your friend just forgot to tighten a couple nuts. I wouldn't get too mad at him, unless you paid him. If you put cheap ebay coils on there though, it is a good idea to upgrade to some AGX's and h-techs.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:31 AM
Zach wrote:That didn't have anything to do with your coils. Your friend just forgot to tighten a couple nuts. I wouldn't get too mad at him, unless you paid him. If you put cheap ebay coils on there though, it is a good idea to upgrade to some AGX's and h-techs.

right if they are cheap coils on there, you can blame yourself too if you get into an accident and get hurt. glad you find that out though. my buddy forgot to tighten all my lugs one time. good thing i had a center cap covering them.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:43 AM
Ok ok hold on, one more thing that is really important i forgot to mention! There are no washers at all on 3 of the top bolts, the front drivers side strut has 4 washers under there, and all of the rest of them have none! How can i properly replace these crucial washers?

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:22 AM
I didn't have any washers on my stocks struts. But I had to put some in when I installed the AGX's.

-Chris

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:37 PM
There should be one washer under each strut top nut. Sounds like all of them ended up on one corner.

I wouldn't let that guy do any more installs for you.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:52 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:There should be one washer under each strut top nut. Sounds like all of them ended up on one corner.

I wouldn't let that guy do any more installs for you.

Agreed.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:21 PM
No doubt, i instantly came to the same conclusion. Two of the washers have bearings, do they go in the back?

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:54 PM
front....

what kit do you have?

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:58 AM
Rick wrote:No doubt, i instantly came to the same conclusion. Two of the washers have bearings, do they go in the back?

Those aren't washers you're talking about then.

When I said one washer goes under each top nut, I was referring to the ones that come stock, or with your struts.

Give us some details on what coilovers you have. If they came with bearings and bearing races, then they should only be in the front and there should be two races (basically machined washers) for each thrust bearing. The three pieces go together like a bearing sandwich and sit between the top hat and the mount. Usually there is also a thicker washer that goes on top of them.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:15 PM
Rick wrote:Omg, i dont know if any of you guys remember me telling you that a buddy of mine took my car and installed my coilovers for me? Well, i decided i was gonna raise my car up yesterday, so i got it up off the ground and went to start adjusting away on the front, grabbed the wheel and it started shaking back and forth like a mother fuc*er!!!! Top and bottom back and forth. So i was like WTF!?!?! Took the wheel off, to find (to my horror) that the two bolts that go through the strut into the hub (i dont think hub is the right word, but you know what i mean) were completely loose not even really holding anything on. Well after i got a new pair of boxers and pants, i came back out, torqued the hell out of both of those nuts, did the same on the other side. And called my buddy and told him how much of a f*cker he is and how i could have died. I'm buying agx's and some suspension tech or h tech springs before i even start that car up again.

You can chill a little. Those bolts you are referring to are in those holes very tight. It would be a act of god for those to just come out while driving. Now if he did notput them in the hole all the way then maybe they would. This is why I work on my cars myself.

H&H Motorsports
Jacksonville, Fl

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:14 PM
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:21 PM
H&H Motorsports wrote:
Rick wrote:Omg, i dont know if any of you guys remember me telling you that a buddy of mine took my car and installed my coilovers for me? Well, i decided i was gonna raise my car up yesterday, so i got it up off the ground and went to start adjusting away on the front, grabbed the wheel and it started shaking back and forth like a mother fuc*er!!!! Top and bottom back and forth. So i was like WTF!?!?! Took the wheel off, to find (to my horror) that the two bolts that go through the strut into the hub (i dont think hub is the right word, but you know what i mean) were completely loose not even really holding anything on. Well after i got a new pair of boxers and pants, i came back out, torqued the hell out of both of those nuts, did the same on the other side. And called my buddy and told him how much of a f*cker he is and how i could have died. I'm buying agx's and some suspension tech or h tech springs before i even start that car up again.

You can chill a little. Those bolts you are referring to are in those holes very tight. It would be a act of god for those to just come out while driving. Now if he did notput them in the hole all the way then maybe they would. This is why I work on my cars myself.

granted they are tight, vibrations, road handling can vibrate even the snuggest of bolts...

hate to say it, but sounds like dude did a cheap hack job on your ride...

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:48 PM
^^^ agreed

when I put my Konis in the divers side was a real dog, however the pass side was like butter. the nuts were so loose it took almost no effort to remove them, I thought I was dreaming because I was so tired, it should have been harder than it was.

when I did a friends car earlier this year, the bolts were pretty easy to get to get off, but not nearly as easy as my pass side.

both cars had stock suspension from the factory and had never been removed.

(...just what is the plural for Koni anyway? )

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:08 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
Rick wrote:No doubt, i instantly came to the same conclusion. Two of the washers have bearings, do they go in the back?

Those aren't washers you're talking about then.

When I said one washer goes under each top nut, I was referring to the ones that come stock, or with your struts.

The washers that go under the nut in the middle of the strut towers under the hood. I kinda see what you were talking about, there is a machined washer with bearings in it, looks like it should for sure go between two solid washers, am i correct?

Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:55 AM
yeah but thats supposed to go UNDER the mount... aka between the coilover top hats and the mount...

if its on the top side, thats more of a hack job than originally thought.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:35 AM
Oh are you serious? Yeah they were on the top, i'm pulling them off today and putting them back together, so the washers go under the top mount? Between the mount and the hat right? So i need to get another washer bearing and two more washers right? (i mean each side has 1 normal washer 1 bearing washer 1 normal washer) correct?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search