getting started with suspension.... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
getting started with suspension....
Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:33 PM
okay, Im finally ready to start looking around for new suspension for next summer. Currently I am stock but im trying to find the best way to go with aftermarket suspension. Its my daily driver so i dont want to lower it much, but at the same time I want a tighter steer and better handling. Can anyone help with suggestions on what to do and what company would have the best products. thanks, rob

Re: getting started with suspension....
Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:42 PM
Well, I have the Tokico D-Spec full suspension kit on my Cavalier, and its definitely a decent setup. It dropped my car 1.6", which was all I wanted. Another setup I would look into is the KYB AGX struts and shocks with the Eibach Pro Kit springs. Thats also a good setup. It'll drop your car 1.5". I hope that helps you a bit and good luck on whatever you decide.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:52 PM
thanks, what about sway bars? do they really make a difference? also did you notice a difference on the steering... i mean is there any play in the steering wheel?

Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:24 PM
Well, your Z24 should have a front sway bar already, so I would go with an Addco 1" rear sway bar. You'll notice a difference with the bar, but its not gonna be like a night and day difference. Heres a link to the swaybar: Addco 1" sway bar

Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:25 PM
No, i haven't noticed any play in my steereing wheel with my sway bars.

Friday, September 16, 2005 1:07 AM
Rob H. wrote:thanks, what about sway bars? do they really make a difference? also did you notice a difference on the steering... i mean is there any play in the steering wheel?

A rear sway bar will help your turning ability by keeping the rear of your car more centered. Depending on the person, it's worth getting.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, September 16, 2005 5:35 AM
thanks for the info. Ill definatley look into the rear sway bar.

Friday, September 16, 2005 7:54 AM
Rob H. wrote:thanks for the info. Ill definatley look into the rear sway bar.

No Problem

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, September 16, 2005 9:25 AM
first question you should ask yourself is "how much do i want to spend" then this way you can limit out your options on things you want like sway bars, struts bars and then the acutally springs and struts themselfs.

Saturday, September 17, 2005 8:40 AM
Rear sway bar for me was a good mod. You can definately tell the difference in the handling. I lowered my car first but i will say the addition of the sway bar was more noticeable to me.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Sunday, September 18, 2005 10:37 AM
Yeah, I appreciate the info. Its my dailiy driver so I dont want to lower it a whole lot. I am willing to spend a decent amount to get it to handle better because in the future I am looking to add a super charger. But for now I think ill go with the sway bar. I see on average they go for about 150.00 - 200.00. They look fairly easy to install. Is there any alignment necessary or is it just a bolt on acessory?

Sunday, September 18, 2005 10:39 AM
BTW mylife75, your car is hot. I like the lower look and the dark rims on white. nice job.
Monday, September 19, 2005 4:37 AM
try ken2.2's sub frame brace. its cheap and helps a lot. Do a search on the forms to find out more info.
Monday, September 19, 2005 7:05 AM
Steps to properly upgrading your suspension (in order):
1. Upgrade shocks/struts to something adjustable and replace factory springs with a lowering spring that is less than ~1.6 inches.

With adjustable shocks you should be able to dial in the car to your needs (for the most part).

2. Upgrade your bracing. This includes strut tower bars, sub frame braces (which do not do a lot in my opinion).

3. Change swaybars to suit over/under-steer control nees. For example, if your car pushes even though you have your shock settings all the way up consider a rear sway bar.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search