Banging When I accelerate or Brake - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Banging When I accelerate or Brake
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 3:27 AM
Hi All,

I'm having a problem and it's really driving me crazy trying to find it. There's a bang in the front end of my 2001 Sunfire when I accelerate and also when I have to get out of the gas and brake semi-quick. There is no noises when I go over bumps.

The car has the Eibach Pro-Kit, prothane control arm bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars and a home-made subframe brace.

This last weekend I did the control arm bushings and both ball-joints and the noise didn't get any louder nor did it get any quieter.

I also had a look at the motor mounts while I had everything apart and didn't see anything weird there.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am now stumpted

Re: Banging When I accelerate or Brake
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 6:40 AM
I am having the SAME problem in my 99 Z24, all stock though. I just recently changed the rear strut mounts and the struts themselves thinking that was the problem! I am also at a loss!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 8:48 AM
I had that in my 99 2200 and I got an upper motor mount insert and it stoped.

www.dcsp.us
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:22 AM
something probably isn't seated right in your suspension, probably your springs, shocks, or control arms. might wanna take a look at those because they're probably just free flowing on the suspension.....aka very bad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:24 AM
I'm having this problem also and I have a stock suspension, what would I look for exactly.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:37 AM
Mike Jefferson wrote:I'm having this problem also and I have a stock suspension, what would I look for exactly.

I had my car up on the hoist last week as i mentioned, replaced the rear mounts as well as the struts themselves, same damn thing! We looked around and cannot find what the heck it is! Mine does it from stop when you hit the gas OR I could be in motion and give it more gas, OR when I come to a stop it goes "knock"

Driving me nuts!
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:57 AM
Viper98912 wrote:something probably isn't seated right in your suspension, probably your springs, shocks, or control arms. might wanna take a look at those because they're probably just free flowing on the suspension.....aka very bad.

Ya that's what I thought when I first put it all back together on Saturday and took it for a ride on Sunday. I lifted it back up, pulled the tires again, looked around, checked all the bolts and everything was still tight.

The only thing I did notice was that the sway bar was sitting a little funny between the bushings so I loosened both sides and straigtened it up, didn't change anything though.
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 3:33 PM
I had the same problem and it ended up being the upper motor mount also.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 3:33 AM
I'll pull the bolts out and check the upper mount. I had the lower one in my hand to do the control arm bushing install but the upper mount I just did a visual check and nothing looked funny.
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 7:19 AM
1996SunfireGT wrote:I'll pull the bolts out and check the upper mount. I had the lower one in my hand to do the control arm bushing install but the upper mount I just did a visual check and nothing looked funny.

I pulled the bolts out on the weekend, all looks good there. Got new endlinks and bushings to put in this weekend. Maybe that'll fix it. I took the stock ones all apart last weekend and everything was pretty seized and the spacers don't look to be in great shape.
Thursday, July 21, 2005 8:54 PM
Check your lower engine mount/torque arm. If the rubber bushing in it is worn the motor rocks back and forth and knocks on the mount. The upper mount (or insert) may help some, but the lower is usually the most common culprit.

Friday, July 22, 2005 3:15 AM
MadJack wrote:Check your lower engine mount/torque arm. If the rubber bushing in it is worn the motor rocks back and forth and knocks on the mount. The upper mount (or insert) may help some, but the lower is usually the most common culprit.

Could it be possible that the rubber part of the mount is weak? I had the mount out a couple of weeks back when I did my sway bar bushing install and it physically looked like brand new.

I also tried rocking the motor back and forth and it didn't seem to move a whole lot. I'm gonna have to line up beside a buddy and compare his movement to mine.
Friday, July 22, 2005 9:49 AM
I 2nd the lower mount! my buddy had the same probles on his work car (96 skylark) and the lower mount looked ok while it was in the car but when i took it out there was very little rubber left in the big end.

see ya!

Sunday, July 24, 2005 5:27 PM
Problem solved. I installed new Energy Suspension sway bar "D" bushings and endlinks and bushings and the noise is gone.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search