new to the suspension idea - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new to the suspension idea
Friday, May 27, 2005 1:04 PM
Ok guys, I already orderd the Eibach Pro-Kit... to my mistake... I did not read up on how they would perform on stock struts. (newb when it comes to suspension)

2003 Cavalier

My question to you guys is this;

How big of a bad idea would it be to put the eibach springs on the stock struts?

I was thinking about headen out to the junk yard to scavange up some pre-2000 struts to test out the ride. So that im not f*cking up my current struts.

I definately don't want to spend roughly $700 purchasing the Koni struts.

All comments/suggestions are welcome. If the best idea is to wait until i can afford the Koni's.. then that's what i shall do!

Thanks all

Re: new to the suspension idea
Friday, May 27, 2005 1:15 PM
you wont need konis for the springs. it would be a good idea but there not needed. you can use the kyb's

Friday, May 27, 2005 1:16 PM
kyb's?

sorry...
Friday, May 27, 2005 1:16 PM
the KYB AGX right? Where would i find those?
Friday, May 27, 2005 1:24 PM
E-bay has them for pretty cheap, www.gravanatuning.com has some struts that will work as well (thought I can't remember off the top of my head if they have AGXs)

Friday, May 27, 2005 1:55 PM
i kno lots of kids who ride lower on sportlines and have no problems on stock struts.. yea it doesnt handle or ride the best but hey, its works..

www.OverloadCars.net
Friday, May 27, 2005 2:51 PM
illd9 wrote:i kno lots of kids who ride lower on sportlines and have no problems on stock struts.. yea it doesnt handle or ride the best but hey, its works..

whats the point of lowering your car to make it ride crappier....

that alone should be common sense.... if its not handling BETTER after lowering, then its a waste of time....

basically all your friends DE-engineered the car....

thats like buying better clothes and then cutting holes in em.....

just cause something works doesnt mean you should do it..... obese people could loose fat easier by cutting it off with a knife, but simply not eating as much and going to the gym is a better choice.

Sunday, May 29, 2005 9:12 AM
i duno event, i was looking at gettting a big planer this summer to trim down insted of alll that exercise. just think 2 passes through the planer and i wiould be a new improved slim and trim jbo'er.

Sunday, May 29, 2005 10:04 AM
illd9 wrote:i kno lots of kids who ride lower on sportlines and have no problems on stock struts.. yea it doesnt handle or ride the best but hey, its works..

Like Event said, it isn't a good idea to use your stock struts. Believe me when I bought my car I was riding on sportlines with the stockers and it sucked. BUT this weekend I put my Konis in and let me tell you it has made a world of a difference and I haven't even turned them up from soft yet.
Sunday, May 29, 2005 10:14 AM
My car is dropped on 2" lowering springs that I then cut an extra 2" out of. My stock struts are blown and have been for a long time. The ride is barable but it deffinately influenced me to rethink my suspension so I am going to be bagged in a few weeks. Now even thought the ride with my current set-up absolutely sucks, my car can handle way better than anybody else's I have ever known. I have friends with hooked up Hondas that can't make turns that I can. I even had an 02 Z06 Corvette for a day and that thing handled like poopies compaired to my car with the 4" drop and stock struts. NOBODY looks cool driving down the road and bouncing up and down like there's a giarraffe sucking off a horse in the back seat though. Deffinately get rid of the stock struts.

Cardomain|Myspace

Sunday, May 29, 2005 10:26 AM
i have thought about lowering with the pro-kit on stock struts, but honestly like event said, if the stock struts blow its gonna handle like crap

and i duno about you guys but i love a car thats fast in the turns, so if i were you id suck it up and put out the money for a good setup

Sunday, May 29, 2005 11:35 AM
LGO my eggo (Josh Roberts) wrote:My car is dropped on 2" lowering springs that I then cut an extra 2" out of. My stock struts are blown and have been for a long time. The ride is barable but it deffinately influenced me to rethink my suspension so I am going to be bagged in a few weeks. Now even thought the ride with my current set-up absolutely sucks, my car can handle way better than anybody else's I have ever known. I have friends with hooked up Hondas that can't make turns that I can. I even had an 02 Z06 Corvette for a day and that thing handled like poopies compaired to my car with the 4" drop and stock struts. NOBODY looks cool driving down the road and bouncing up and down like there's a giarraffe sucking off a horse in the back seat though. Deffinately get rid of the stock struts.

with a 4 inch drop, and blown struts, in any suspension it will handle way better if the suspension has a decent range of motion.

i can garuntee you on a autoX track compared with a similar car with a decent suspension, not even as low, they would dominate

Sunday, May 29, 2005 6:44 PM
well, any type of a drop is bad on stock struts. just save up enough money and do it right the first time

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:18 AM
thanks guys, definately gonna wiat 'till next pay check to buy the koni's... i told myself i was gonna pay off this car this summer but f*ck that... hahaha KONIs here i come!

thanks for all the suggestions/comments! I appreciate it a lot!
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:36 AM
You don't "NEED" the Koni's with the pro kit. I am very happy with the pro kit on AGX's. I've also read good things on here about the pro-kit on spec-D's.

I got my AGX's off ebay for $350 shipped, and the 1.4 drop from the pro kit is still within KYB's warrentee.

the Koni is a great shock, all I'm trying to say is you can still get a great ride (and keep the adjustability) with a shock that is a true bolt on and cost less.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search