I know this is terrible, but... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I know this is terrible, but...
Saturday, February 07, 2009 10:56 PM
I've been out of the scene for a while (getting my own place, dealing with the economy screwing me over, finding a new job, etc, etc...) and have realized recently that a pothole should not make my car bounce nearly as much as she does. I do believe it is time to finally replace the shocks and struts. My question for today is : what are people running these days? Im looking for a drop that gets me about 1.5 - 2" down from stock. Just inquiring to see if anything new and amazing came out recently that costs less than an arm, leg and first-borne child, or if things are same old same old.

I'll eventually take the time to put something here. I swear.

Re: I know this is terrible, but...
Saturday, February 07, 2009 11:02 PM
try looking for a set of used sportlines.. and a koni yellows... or d specs

Sunday, February 08, 2009 12:19 AM
This, unfortunately, is highly dependent on your driving preferences. I wish I could tell you there was a "magic" setup for everyone, but some like their ride firmer than others.

I have found good suspensions with multiple setups. The full Eibach Pro Kit Plus is a great out-of-the-box-bolt-on performer for a better than stock ride and lower height. However, you should be aware that anything lower than 1.5" will require camber kits. Also, the lower you go the harsher the ride will be (simple physics).

I currently have Tokico D-Specs with Tein progressive springs on my car right now and love the ride quality.

Use the search for a suspension sticky...lists all the known working suspension combos and definite wrong setups to avoid.
Sunday, February 08, 2009 7:55 AM
our cars don't use camber kits.

Sunday, February 08, 2009 9:34 AM
thats wat i was thinking???

Sunday, February 08, 2009 11:00 AM
Quote:

However, you should be aware that anything lower than 1.5" will require camber kits.
not necessarily true. im running sportlines on d-specs rite now and camber is dead even centered on both sides. even when i was riding on stock struts with sportlines for a year and a half (i dont suggest it...) camber was perfect. im sure other peoples experiences will vary, but ive never heard a j owner saying they HAD to get a camber kit because of lowering. most times ive heard it as a preference upgrade just to have it adjustable for stuff like autocross and such. and with OEM's new camber adjustable strut mounts camber kits arent even needed for that anymore

back on point. sportlines are always a good choice that people like and its been done time and time again about a 1.75" drop in front, and a 2.25" in back. Road magnets are kinda new on the market, maybe a year, year and a half for our platform, and from what ive heard they give a bit of a softer ride, AND go lower than sportlines about 2.2" all around, but ive heard when they settle, they go a tad bit lower than that. so if thats what your lookin for then those are the ones to go with. my spring/strut combo total cost about 750. and i think thats a pretty fair price for what i was looking for. defeinately shop around

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Sunday, February 08, 2009 11:07 AM

Sunday, February 08, 2009 3:44 PM
camber kits? haha i can drop my vert to the lowest point with my ground controls with no site of cambering.

Sunday, February 08, 2009 11:23 PM
I must have the odd-ball out car then. Had camber problems when lowered 2".
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:07 PM
Quote:

I must have the odd-ball out car then. Had camber problems when lowered 2".

same here, i have the camber kit in mine and with a camber gauge on the wheel, tuning the adjusters does move the gauge. Mine is an 03, also FYI here are the GM Specs for the J's for alignment.

Front Caster 4.3 deg +/- 1.00 deg
Front Camber 0.00 deg +/- 1.00 deg
Individual Toe 0.00 deg +/- 0.12 deg
Sum Toe 0.00 deg +/- 0.25 deg
Cross Camber 0.00 deg +/- 1.00 deg
Cross Caster 0.00 deg +/- 1.00 deg
Rear Camber -0.40 deg +/- 0.75 deg
Rear Sum Toe 0.20 deg +/- 0.30 deg
Rear Thrust Angle 0.00 deg +/- 0.25 deg

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search